kaser4886
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How do I not actually plagiarize?
So many of the thing I have to write are just explaining what that is and what it does and stuff like that so obviously it will be similar to other people's work and other websites and articles online, there is basically no other way in which I can explain it, right?
Now let's say I do actually plagiarize, what evidence will they have assuming I change up the wording and make it look like mine as much as possible but keep the paragraph order the same and have the same points, I'm just saying what a certain thing is and what it does, there aren't that many ways of describing it in the first place...
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kaser4886)
How do I not actually plagiarize?
So many of the thing I have to write are just explaining what that is and what it does and stuff like that so obviously it will be similar to other people's work and other websites and articles online, there is basically no other way in which I can explain it, right?
Now let's say I do actually plagiarize, what evidence will they have assuming I change up the wording and make it look like mine as much as possible but keep the paragraph order the same and have the same points, I'm just saying what a certain thing is and what it does, there aren't that many ways of describing it in the first place...
Repeating basic facts is not plagiarism. Presenting other people's ideas as your own by not referencing them is plagiarism. It's all about academic honesty.
I understand that it's sometimes really difficult to work out what is an accepted fact (which doesn't need referencing) and what is someone else's work which does need referencing. Experience helps here, along with using whatever teaching and support resources are offered to you.

To avoid accidental plagiarism, the best thing to do is to make sure you never have the document you're working on and the source you're reading open at the same time. Instead, you should open the source, take notes (making sure you don't copy chunks of text), then close the source, open your working document and put what you've read in your own words. Make very sure that any quoted text, or ideas which aren't your own, are clearly referenced. You can get good, free, referencing software for Word like Zotero which makes keeping track of references, inserting inline citations and producing a bibliography a total breeze.
kaser4886
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
That was my main problem, I didn't know if stating facts could somehow get me guilty of plagiarizing or not. That helps, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (54)
18.31%
Labour (117)
39.66%
Liberal Democrats (61)
20.68%
Green Party (22)
7.46%
Brexit Party (8)
2.71%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.36%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.69%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)