suceeding at begging your firm on results day? Watch

blondyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
When you called up your firm offer uni to beg for a place if you missed your grades. How many of you or know people who did succeed at this?
e-lover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why are people thinking about this? It's freaking me out. Enjoy your holidays!!
Valkyrja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not gonna beg, I'm gonna argue my case....they should have given me an unconditional according to this years entry requirements, and the only reason they haven't is because they are changing the requirements NEXT year...which i find a little unfair.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry why should they have given you an unconditional...?
It all depends how many people met the offer, if nobody did then they will take you immediately. If everyone did they might have oversubsribed and they wont take you.
Dont worry about it, its 6 weeks yet.
Valkyrja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Sorry why should they have given you an unconditional...?
It all depends how many people met the offer, if nobody did then they will take you immediately. If everyone did they might have oversubsribed and they wont take you.
Dont worry about it, its 6 weeks yet.

Their entry requirements are BBB for this year, I have AAa + a DD Btec which translates as a AB which they said they would accept, however their upping the requirements to AAA next year, so have decided not to accept certificates, only diplomas.

So basically I have AAABa at the moment, the requirements are BBB and they gave me a condition of "a B at GCE A level" which doesn't really make that much sense.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know why everyone is so negative in this thread. The OP is only asking about peoples experiences of missing their offer on results day!!
Bassoonery
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
its 6 weeks yet.
:eek: Noooo! 4 weeks of that are taken up with stressful work / holidays, it's all going to go so quickly!

But yes, I can't think of specific cases, but I think it is quite acceptable to argue your case on results day and often be successful (not on the basis of how well you argue, just on the practicalities of the course subscriptions and places).
Valkyrja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bassoonery)
:eek: Noooo! 4 weeks of that are taken up with stressful work / holidays, it's all going to go so quickly!

But yes, I can't think of specific cases, but I think it is quite acceptable to argue your case on results day and often be successful (not on the basis of how well you argue, just on the practicalities of the course subscriptions and places).

There's only 30 places on my course, but I think they only make like 35 offers or something silly like that.
Jamin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is what i don't understand though, conditional offers. Do they give more than there are spaces on the course?

If not, the course will have to go through clearing if some people don't meet the entry requirements?
LaurenFah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well; I have two sides of this. Same University.
A friend rang up, argued his case so so much and they weren't having any of it.
Another friend rang up, argued his case, and was offered an alternative course and got in.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did, way back in 2003. Durham was my firm and things weren't going well. Even when I told them of my mitigating circumstances (illness) they told me "we are so oversubscribed and have such exceptional candidates we don't allow mitigating circumstances to affect our decision". I told her, in the nicest way possible, to put me through to someone who actually knew what they were talking about (as she didn't). They eventally told me they'd reconsider if I gave them medical evidence. A month later they phoned me back and accepted me back onto the course.

I missed my offer by one grade (missed an A). So it was an effort and I had good mitigating circumstances.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LaurenFah)
Well; I have two sides of this. Same University.
A friend rang up, argued his case so so much and they weren't having any of it.
Another friend rang up, argued his case, and was offered an alternative course and got in.
Out of curiosity which Uni was it?
summertime_
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reilly)
There's only 30 places on my course, but I think they only make like 35 offers or something silly like that.
what are you going to study?
Horrorshow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Technically I missed my offer - offer was ABB, got AAB (yep, you read correctly) but in the wrong subject combination (they wanted A in chemistry, B in biology and maths) So my ucas track hadn't changed when i looked. This meant they hadn't made a decision. So I phoned up and begged - I said I had missed the offer but only by 1 ums mark, and that I had exceeded the offer with decent A's in the other subjects. They said they we're glad I phoned to explain myself and that I had been put on a waiting list where people were ordered according to how far they had missed their offer.

Turns out it was one of the best things I had done by phoning. A week later they decided to let me in. Do phone if you miss the offer, especially only if narrowly
e-lover
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So what's the best line to use on an admissions tutor?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Noooo! 4 weeks of that are taken up with stressful work / holidays, it's all going to go so quickly!

Actually, the 4 weeks will start quickly then slow to a snails pace as the stress mounts... well thats how I found it anyway

Fair enough Reilly
places often dont like giving unconditionals because you can put them as the insurance place, have somewhere amazing as firm so even if you miss the higher offer your guarenteed a place
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Horrorshow)
Technically I missed my offer - offer was ABB, got AAB (yep, you read correctly) but in the wrong subject combination (they wanted A in chemistry, B in biology and maths) So my ucas track hadn't changed when i looked. This meant they hadn't made a decision. So I phoned up and begged - I said I had missed the offer but only by 1 ums mark, and that I had exceeded the offer with decent A's in the other subjects. They said they we're glad I phoned to explain myself and that I had been put on a waiting list where people were ordered according to how far they had missed their offer.

Turns out it was one of the best things I had done by phoning. A week later they decided to let me in. Do phone if you miss the offer, especially only if narrowly
I take it this was Imperial? Wow, they actually spoke to you like a human being? Durham can learn from this....

Of course always phone up, you may still have an offer. Just don't expect them to be particularly sympathetic you may really have to push it. In the end though, if they say no.......
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jamin)
This is what i don't understand though, conditional offers. Do they give more than there are spaces on the course?
Of course they do.
LaurenFah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)
Out of curiosity which Uni was it?
Both Lancaster University. Although it's known for 'lenient' grade boundaries - I heard of quite the opposite come results day, so it's definitely getting a lot tougher (sorry to potential Lancastrian's scared of their grades!).
Jamin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Of course they do.
So what do they do if everyone meets their offer then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.93%
No - but I will (4)
3.45%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.31%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (63)
54.31%

Watched Threads