English Literature A level? Watch

Jinxy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm still in the process of choosing options for sixth form.
I know my other three, bio, chem, physics...
but i need a 4th.

I put down english lit on my form because I am good at it, or at least was at GCSE. I just don't know what else I'd do otherwise, I never really liked any other subjects.

I wanted to ask the people doing it at as/A level, how do you find it? Is it what you thought it would be and would you recommend it ? What kinds of things do you do in class?

Basically try and persuade me if you think it's good or bad because I need to make my mind up soon.

Thanks
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
Hey, I made a thread like this a few weeks ago. I'll find it for you now, one sec.
billet-doux
Report 10 years ago
Here it is:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post13080965
Hope this helps!
Feexx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i did it, loved it, about to start it at uni. Be prepared for a lot of reading and writing essays is all. If you hate writing essays, don't even go there...
anti-matter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
do maths instead of English lit, will really help with what your already taking. and A-level maths is very different from GCSE maths, you will definitely enjoy it and there’s no coursework, trust me take maths it will be by far the easiest A-level you take after you get stuck in. plus the pure units for maths are not chaning, specs stay the same.
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What examboard are you with? The exams are all changin from September onwards, and the new English syllabus for WJEC is supposedly horrific from what I've heard, though I can't speak for the other syllabi.
Jinxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by anti-matter)
do maths instead of English lit, will really help with what your already taking. and A-level maths is very different from GCSE maths, you will definitely enjoy it and there’s no coursework, trust me take maths it will be by far the easiest A-level you take after you get stuck in.

I'm honestly not good enough at maths I don't think I would survive it. I took my maths gcse in year 10 and only got a C..so what does that say =\
εїз pinga εїз
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I love it, it's great cos it's not that much work to do well, and if you love to read and debate then the work you do have to do doesn't feel like work at all.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really loved English Lit A level - its the reason I want to study English at Uni.
Most people I know have enjoyed the course, but as always there have been a few who have hated every living moment of it.

There is a huge step up from GCSE English Lit to As level. The level of work, the depth of essays and analysis can be a shock to some. If you do take it, don't expect to go in and get A's straight away. It takes a good term to get used to the type of work that examiners and teachers are looking for.

The sort of things studied in class usually relate more to the texts being studied. The courses are very much Novel, play and poem based. In GCSE you tend to look at a larger variety of texts whilst A level is more focused. Usually you spend most of class time reading over the works as a group, having discussions and then talking about the themes and context etc. Its very intresting, but there is no denying it is very hard work.
Jinxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by piece_by_piece)
Here it is:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post13080965
Hope this helps!
thank you!
Valkyrja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
English Literature A level is really wonderful, especially if you're doing quite 'straight' subjects where debate is limited, it's all about interpretation which could offer you some light relief...although it is definitely a step up from GCSE...
anti-matter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jinxy)
I'm honestly not good enough at maths I don't think I would survive it. I took my maths gcse in year 10 and only got a C..so what does that say =\
well I have a friend who got a C at GCSE and got the same AS grade for maths as me! ( we both got A)

maths is a subject you CAN get good at by sheer practising, seriously you cannot go wrong if you practice, practice and keep practising. obviously some people just have innate maths ability.

I think you should give it a go, plus you did your maths GCSE in year 10, most people do it in year 11. So don’t underestimate yourself that much.

Also I don’t know you and therefore am only giving advice through experience, ask your teachers what they think of your ability and weather you will be able to handle it.
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well I have a friend who got a C at GCSE and got the same AS grade for maths as me! ( we both got A)

maths is a subject you CAN get good at by sheer practising, seriously you cannot go wrong if you practice, practice and keep practising. obviously some people just have innate maths ability.

I think you should give it a go, plus you did your maths GCSE in year 10, most people do it in year 11. So don’t underestimate yourself that much.

Also I don’t know you and therefore am only giving advice through experience, ask your teachers what they think of your ability and weather you will be able to handle it.
But if she doesn't want to do Maths then why should she?
The OP would have no advantage over others if she applied for Medicine/other Science career as she already has 3 sciences...
Jinxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howells)
But if she doesn't want to do Maths then why should she?
The OP would have no advantage over others if she applied for Medicine/other Science career as she already has 3 sciences...

Thank you for your comments =]..

I think compared to maths, English i am much stronger in. i know that generally you can do well if you work hard at anything, but if i were to take maths i doubt i would enjoy it and i cant imagine doing something i don't enjoy. I wasnt even keen on picking physics as it is, because of the maths side of it but i wanted it to demonstrate some mathematical ability for medicine without having to take maths. I wanted a contrast that's still an older more respected subject and I think that's where English comes in.

If you want me to put it this way
In my maths mock I got an E
In my exam I got a C

In my english mock I got an A

So I do think that I would be far better doing english and I want a break from the sciences! Thank you for your opinion though I just don't feel maths would be the way to go for me and it's not needed either for what i want to do and the unis i want to go to.

(Original post by Howells)
What examboard are you with? The exams are all changin from September onwards, and the new English syllabus for WJEC is supposedly horrific from what I've heard, though I can't speak for the other syllabi.
AQA
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did English Lit at A-level, enjoyed it and took it on to uni (where I didn't like it as much), it's a hard subject but if you knuckle down you should be alright.
Nayberay
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If your passionate and enjoy it and think you will be able to achieve a good grade about it then do it
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just make sure you take notes, and WORK DURING YOUR MOCKS GODDAMNIT.

Especially if you're doing Spies. Oh dear...
butterflyyyy
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jinxy)
theres alot of maths in physics, in fact the 2 a-levels really help each other out...
but english literature is really fun =) i loved it
username91207
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've currently doing Lit on AQA (just done my AS exams), and my advice would be: Be prepared to work VERY hard! I didn't apply myself this year as much as I could have done, and as a result I'm predicted an E and am considering retaking.

You're expected to do quite a bit of wider reading, and the essays are far more analytical than at GCSE.

I'm also taking Further Maths, so I don't know if I could be any help to you there? But you said you don't want to take Maths, so I'm not going to try and convince you, but I'm happy to help if you did want to know anything about it
pandora7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i didn't do GCSE Elit and didn't struggle at A levels. got a B for my first ever Shakespeare cw lol! it's defo interesting (although tht has probably more to do with my classmates being ace), and i enjoy the texts we did. the only thing i didn't like was closed book exams. had to remember bloody quotes grr
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed