The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Hi :smile:

I don't do the course myself, but a friend of mine does. As far as I know he's happy with it - he randomly drops arabic words into conversation so he definitely has at least some grasp of the language! :wink: And he's going to Jordan for the academic year 2008-09, which is actually our second year - so from this I'm deducting that Arabic students spend their second year abroad rather than third?

Anyway, I hope that helps at least a little :smile: If you want to find out more about the uni, just peruse some of the threads on the first page, they'll have plenty of information.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Thanks alot :smile: finally found someone who can share some information with me,cause its pretty hard to find anyone ..somehow...believe it or not ur the first lol.. :smile: still thanks
Aaaa...and one more thing...has u friend chosen jordan himself?what im getting at is if they let students pick country of the options avaliable or just say where they are supposed to go to...maybe ull know..:confused:
I've been informed that yes, he chose Jordan himself :smile: Apparently everyone else is going to Syria! The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that they study middle eastern history and Islam as part of the course, as far as I know; the ottaman empire, that sort of thing...

Oh, and the building is lovely! I think it's the newest one on campus as it's lovely. I've posted a picture of the fountain (it's just outside the entrance) here (it's the last picture...)
wow...its amazing ! :smile: id want to pick Cairo for my 2cond year abroad..looking forward to it a lot..hopefully ill be given this chance to pick myself...
Reply 6
Hey! Again, I don't do this course but two of my friends do and they LOVE it. They are both going to Syria, although one had very hard time choosing between Damascus and Cairo. I believe only 3 people are going to Cairo this time though.
You definitely get the choice though, I think it's between Fez, Cairo, Damascus, Jordan and somewhere else but I can't remember. (Sorry.)

Anyway, on the course, they have both said that the Arabic is quite difficult. That said, if you've done a language at A Level then you will probably find it easier. One did, and has done much better, the other struggled a bit at first but then realised she had to work hard for it! The hours are long - 18 hours a week, but the teaching is meant to be excellent. The building is awesome too, as the above mentioned.

Both my friends have loved the course because of the variety, some modules are easier than others e.g. the Islam module is meant to be quite easy going. Also the fact that you go abroad in your 2nd year is an advantage- your language skills will improve considerably and I think Exeter is the only university which allows uni students to go in their second year. Good advantage in terms of employment too. (More likely to do better in your 3rd and 4th year since you've learned so much in the 2nd.)

Hope that imparts a little knowledge, sorry I can't really help that much.
and u said u didnt help me much lol..its already a lot :smile: thank you very much..ahh...i cant wait now to start to be frank :smile: hopefully ,hopefully ill get accepted :smile: Hmm..maybe u know how many pp do they accept every year? or maybe i ought to ask university about that,by writing an email or something..
Reply 8
I did that course so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM. :smile:
Reply 9
Are you going to apply for the program for 2009 entry or did you already apply for 2008 entry ? I'm going to study Arabic and Russian next October, would be cool to know someone else doing Arabic :biggrin:.
Reply 10
She_Bittersweet
and u said u didnt help me much lol..its already a lot :smile: thank you very much..ahh...i cant wait now to start to be frank :smile: hopefully ,hopefully ill get accepted :smile: Hmm..maybe u know how many pp do they accept every year? or maybe i ought to ask university about that,by writing an email or something..

I think last year they had an intake of about 30, though it varies. If they have many good applicants they split the Arabic class into two groups, otherwise the run one. Quite flexible thus.
Ill be applying this for 2009 entry :smile: not this year.. planning to send the application this september :smile: yeah true anatheme,would be great to know somebody,whom i might study with :smile:
Reply 12
She_Bittersweet
Ill be applying this for 2009 entry :smile: not this year.. planning to send the application this september :smile: yeah true anatheme,would be great to know somebody,whom i might study with :smile:

Awww :frown:
too bad we are/have been applying not for thw same year..
Reply 14
If you don't mind me asking, Anatheme, why is your decision from Manchester now pending? Everything OK?
Reply 15
I took the French Bac so had to send them my results by myself, so Exeter said it was ok because I met their requirements, but I didn't meet Manchester requirements so I'm still waiting for them to answer (hoping they'll say no, haha, I changed my mind and I think I'd prefer to go to Sexy Exy ! :biggrin:)
Reply 16
Good choice :wink: You can presumably always ask Manc to release you if you decide you'd still prefer to come to Exeter.
Reply 17
But if I do so I need to go through Clearing and ask Exeter to give me another place, lol. I'd prefer Manchester not to give me an offer, haha !
She_Bittersweet

If i get into Exeter you'll be studying with me. :wink:
Hopefully :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending