Plant disease (GCSE AQA Triple Award Biology)

Watch
gcsetaker123456
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If anyone could help me I would be very grateful. The question is...
Explain why it is difficult to identify plant disease. Give examples.
alyssajade23_xo
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
how many marks is it
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yeah it's a pretty vague question, unless you'd already went over specific material in class :/ I'm just finishing my Horticulture HND and i'm at a bit off a loss how i'd answer that because I AM expected to be able identify them, the main difficulty' would generally just be 'not knowing exactly what it is, but i'm trying to think what sort of reply they'd want from a GCSE student :/
gcsetaker123456
Rep:
(Original post by alyssajade23_xo)
how many marks is it
I don't think it's an exam question. Its a question in this booklet they gave us for half-term and the marks aren't specified
alyssajade23_xo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
like if it was a 2 marker or short kinda question I would say to just state a reason and explain a bit, if you think its probably a longer sort of question then i would just say 2 or more reasons and explain both, how much detail you go for depends on how many marks it is so difficult without knowing marks
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gcsetaker123456)
I don't think it's an exam question. Its a question in this booklet they gave us for half-term and the marks aren't specified
If It's for GCSE Bio I suspect the sort of answer they want is that without detailed knowledge it's generally hard to identify for certain just by the naked eye, esp whether the disease/pathogen is a fungi, bacteria or virus (The GSCE revision also includes single celled Protista, previously I think that just fell under bacteria). An awful lot of disease symptoms in plants can look largely the same or vary in different environmental conditions. A decent example would be Downy Mildew, it's symptoms are reasonably standard yet affect different plants in slightly different ways. There are lots of different genus and species of fungi that cause it, to definitively identify it you would likely need access to expensive lab tests like the use of possibly a DNA library or DNA electrophoresis to match against existing identified species.
gcsetaker123456
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
If It's for GCSE Bio I suspect the sort of answer they want is that without detailed knowledge it's generally hard to identify for certain just by the naked eye, esp whether the disease/pathogen is a fungi, bacteria or virus (The GSCE revision also includes single celled Protista, previously I think that just fell under bacteria). An awful lot of disease symptoms in plants can look largely the same or vary in different environmental conditions. A decent example would be Downy Mildew, it's symptoms are reasonably standard yet affect different plants in slightly different ways. There are lots of different genus and species of fungi that cause it, to definitively identify it you would likely need access to expensive lab tests like the use of possibly a DNA library or DNA electrophoresis to match against existing identified species.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10%
Okay (26)
32.5%
A bit lacking (22)
27.5%
Not good at all (24)
30%

Watched Threads