The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
My flatmate did Arabic & Spanish. I think she really enjoyed it - she had to put in a lot of work but it was clearly possible to do well as she got really high marks. Now she's off to Egypt for the next year, which sounds amazing.

I found the course details for you. :smile: It looks really interesting.
http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=200809&P=BA-AMES
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Thanks...the structure of program does seem fascinating... :smile:
Reply 3
I'm not actually at Leeds but I'm going next year. I got offers from SOAS, Leeds and Exeter but in the end I chose Leeds. The major differences are...

In Leeds in the second year you either go to Cairo or Fez (even numbers go to both so you may not gte a choice between the two) unlike other universities they provide a syllabus so that the two groups are at the same point when they get back

At Leeds you get to choose electives from outside the course (in pretty much anything as long as you can timetable it)

Exeter was given a large donation which allowed it to build its own department and facilities wheras Leeds is part of the Michael Sadler building and shares a langauage lab with the rest of the MFL subjects

Beyond a few electives the two courses are fairly similar and the rest is in the prospectuses

But I would recommend you visit both because when I visited Exeter as much as I loved the department I didnt like the university itself. I didn't think I would like Leeds but when I went to visit I really liked it. Untill you go visit you can't really workout where you want to study....
Hmmmm...i didnt get that line :"In Leeds in the second year you either go to Cairo or Fez (even numbers go to both so you may not gte a choice between the two)" what did u mean by that..?that u can go to both/?
Reply 5
sorry

I meant that everyone goes abroad in the second year
and half the group has to go each centre (either morrocco or egypt)
so if one centre if more popular than another then you may not be able to go the city you chose
but you cant go to both...

hope that makes some more sense!
Ooohh...got it now..Hmm...thats not that good..i mean...if u choose egypt u want to go egypt..Ahhh...not good at all..btw..why are u mentioning that splitting up? have u heard that it happened?or just wondering..
Reply 7
Hey, just browsing for people who are doing arabic and middle eastern studies! I have narrowed my choices down to Leeds, Manc and Exeter... but am stuck. Went to Exeter open day today and the department was soooooo nice but I'm not sure the city has the same atmosphere as Leeds or Manc, with it being such a small city? Any thoughts? x