The Student Room Group

MSc at Oxbridge from prestigious foreign uni vs. Open Uni (UK)

So, I study Psychology at Universidad Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), Spain. In international rankings, it's typically in second place for Spain, after UB (see https://www.ub.edu/web/ub/ca/universitat/la_ub_avui/ranquings/index2.html?), so you could say it's one of Spain's most prestigious. And I am considering applying for a MSc (Experimental Psychology) at Oxford after I graduate, or the MPhil at Cambridge. My average grades are (equivalent to) 2:1; some subjects First Class.

The thing is, time wise, I currently (unfortunately) have some non-academic things going on, so I was considering transferring to an online university to allow for more flexibility (and easier subjects, which means less time studying). Spain has a couple of 'okay' options, but as I'd be changing anyway, I considered going to Open University instead. But if it negatively impacts my future application, I'd prefer to stay where I am and take less subjects/semester.

Do you guys think that going to an UK uni (although online) could somehow impact my application for Oxbridge? Do you think/know if at Oxbridge they tend to care a lot for how well-recognised a university is, or if they go more for applicants from local UK unis?
Original post by paulotaviodr
So, I study Psychology at Universidad Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), Spain. In international rankings, it's typically in second place for Spain, after UB (see https://www.ub.edu/web/ub/ca/universitat/la_ub_avui/ranquings/index2.html?), so you could say it's one of Spain's most prestigious. And I am considering applying for a MSc (Experimental Psychology) at Oxford after I graduate, or the MPhil at Cambridge. My average grades are (equivalent to) 2:1; some subjects First Class.

The thing is, time wise, I currently (unfortunately) have some non-academic things going on, so I was considering transferring to an online university to allow for more flexibility (and easier subjects, which means less time studying). Spain has a couple of 'okay' options, but as I'd be changing anyway, I considered going to Open University instead. But if it negatively impacts my future application, I'd prefer to stay where I am and take less subjects/semester.

Do you guys think that going to an UK uni (although online) could somehow impact my application for Oxbridge? Do you think/know if at Oxbridge they tend to care a lot for how well-recognised a university is, or if they go more for applicants from local UK unis?

You should be fine! I know someone who did an undergrad with the Open University and then went on to do an MPhil at Cambridge, and then another masters at King's College London. The OU isn't the best uni but it's not a bad one, and it shouldn't hurt any application to Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending