The Student Room Group

How do i plan for original writing in GCSE?

I know when persuading or arguing, i always note the good points and bad points, and counter argue against one side. however, i've never done original writing before, and my teacher asked me to do one about my work experience for my coursework. Is it the same layout as persuade/argue?

Good points:
- Gain responsibility
- Meet new people
- Insight to working enviroment
- The experience is it's own reward
- Gain confidence
- I had the opportunity to work with a friend
- Had a teacher check up on us whilst working

Bad points:
- Not as safe as going school
- No reward
- Too far from where i live
- Too much stress for a 15 year old such as myself

I can go on forever.. but what possible layouts could i use? I plan on having 5-6 paragraphs.

Layout i use for persuading is:

P1 - Good points
P2 - Bad points
P3 - Counter argue against either good or bad point
P4 - Conclusion

But i dont know what to do for this :frown:
Reply 1
:smile:
The point of original writing is to be engaging, fun and interesting, etc. So it's probably not best delivered as an argument. If you can find a way of linking interesting facts and details that you learned on WE and making it into a narrative/description heavy piece then you'll do better.

If you're stuck for somewhere to start I would personally go for writing anecdotal short paragraphs down and then re-arranging them until they look like they'll flow.
Reply 3
Hmm ok, but what should i title my paragraphs?
Reply 4
Generally in original writing, paragraphs aren't titled. I recommend writing like artorscience? suggested - write something about your work experience down, it could be funny, factual, interesting etc. And just keep going - expand on the people and the tasks you were asked to do, what the atmosphere was like etc.
Reply 5
I know someone who wrote it in third person, present tense, and got an A.

Latest

Trending

Trending