When do you go to open days? Watch

GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I know this is a bit of a dumb question, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Are you meant to go to open days at the end of year 12? Only I'm not quite sure

And is it really important? Only travelling to 5 unis over the country would cost a fair bit I imagine. Especially if doing a course where you had to go to interviews too! (Probably a downside of being tucked away in Cornwall :rolleyes: )

Thanks
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*resists the temptation to say "When the unis hold them"*

I went randomly; I did some during year twelve at 6th form, one during my a-levels and 3 during my BTEC. The unis don't change dramatically. I would suggest however going to HE fairs. I found them really useful.

If you're worried about money, ask the college you attend whether they have Aim Higher funding; My college did, and this meant that Aim Higher paid for one of my uni visits (I made sure it was the one that was furthest away. xD)

Overall I wouldn't worry TOO much about uni visits; I would visit the ones you're not sure about rather than the ones you definately want to attend to. You get to see a lot during your average interview day, so if you're sure you want to apply somewhere, and the uni visit won't massively sway your decision, don't bother.

Don't forget, TSR'ers are a great source of knowledge - I expect there is at least one member for every uni, so you can ask questions about uni life to them in the respective subforums.
HCD
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It honestly doesn't matter a jot. If you know what you're looking for in terms of course and amenities, you can do it during your GCSEs if you're sure.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GemmyMonster)
I know this is a bit of a dumb question, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Are you meant to go to open days at the end of year 12? Only I'm not quite sure

And is it really important? Only travelling to 5 unis over the country would cost a fair bit I imagine. Especially if doing a course where you had to go to interviews too! (Probably a downside of being tucked away in Cornwall :rolleyes: )

Thanks
It isn't usually, but it can sometimes hinder you if you don't. I remember on one Music open day I went to, we were given information about an unofficial extra test that we'd have to do if we were interviewed. As the test was unofficial, there was nothing about it in any of the prospectuses, so unless you'd gone on the open day, you'd have no idea it existed! I knew about it, so I had time to prepare. Lots of people turned up for interviews without knowing and were immediately put at a slight disadvantage

Open days are also a good way of finding out if you'd be happy at a certain uni. I stupidly put a uni I hadn't seen as my insurance, attended the open day for all successful applicants and realised I didn't like it Lucky for me that I got into my firm choice or I may have been stuck in a department I didn't like for three years! :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed