just graduated-minimum wage job? Watch

erica123
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
HI guys,

just looking for other ppl in the same situation in me who have just graduated. i have just finished studying history at durham, and am looking for office work/ admin stuff job.but all these kind of jobs, even some of the minimum wage jobs, say experience necessary.
so i feel confined to applying for trainee office jobs which pay between 8/9000 a year. i honestly don't mind doing minimum wage jobs / low paid as i know everyone has to start somewhere and i know being a graduate doesn't assure a good job.
im just wondering are other recent grads finding this to be true for them too?
can anyone offer me any advice about other possible paths?

anyway thanks for any replies/advice! erica xx
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You shouldn't be doing a minimum wage job with a History degree from Durham. How did you do in your degree?
erica123
(Original post by jismith1989)
You shouldn't be doing a minimum wage job with a History degree from Durham. How did you do in your degree?
i got a 2.1. what would u suggest i do? im open to any suggestions. thanks in advance
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by erica123)
i got a 2.1. what would u suggest i do? im open to any suggestions. thanks in advance
Okay that's a respectable degree then. It doesn't really matter, but was it a high 2.1? If so, you can use that to your advantage. If not, many places take people with 2.1s regardless of grades therein.

How about the Civil Service? Although you aren't of course guaranteed to be accepted, as it can be quite competitive; you should have quite a good knowledge of world affairs and critical thinking with a History degree though.

Also, graduate schemes in business (i.e. management) for graduates of any discipline. I am told that Aldi do a good scheme whereby you get 50k a year plus car. There are many similar schemes if you are interested in business. Isn't the Durham careers service any use in this regard?

Don't, however, confine yourself to a minimum wage job; you'll become stuck in it!
erica123
(Original post by jismith1989)
Okay that's a respectable degree then. It doesn't really matter, but was it a high 2.1? If so, you can use that to your advantage. If not, many places take people with 2.1s regardless of grades therein.

How about the Civil Service? Although you aren't of course guaranteed to be accepted, as it can be quite competitive; you should have quite a good knowledge of world affairs and critical thinking with a History degree though.

Also, graduate schemes in business (i.e. management) for graduates of any discipline. I am told that Aldi do a good scheme whereby you get 50k a year plus car. There are many similar schemes if you are interested in business. Isn't the Durham careers service any use in this regard?

Don't, however, confine yourself to a minimum wage job; you'll become stuck in it!

thanks very much jismith! much appreciated for taking the time to write that.
i think i will try and apply for civil service- and i think i'll write that bit u said about good knowledge of world affairs/critical thinking thanks and good luck with yr own career too!
SuperDaz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm kind of in the same boat erica, I applied for a few graduate schemes for when I finished uni but didn't get into any so ended up just applying for "normal" jobs.

It took me months to find anywhere that didn't require experience and it was so frustrating. I did end up with somewhere eventually but I really hated it and it had zero career progression. I've just left after 9 months actually and am back in the rat race. Its still feels quite difficult but I'm getting a few interviews that I wouldn't have 12 months back.

Um, I guess my advice would be to big myself up. Look for experience in your university activities (IT skills, team work skills etc). Did you do any admin work for societies or anything?

Well done on your 2:1 btw :five:
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You could become a teacher which a lot of History graduates go into! You start on 20 k or something.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can go in for most grad schemes. why have you set your sights so low? the point of a degree is to jump over those jobs and go straight into a well paid career.
First of all, what do you want to do in life?
erica123
(Original post by SuperDaz)
I'm kind of in the same boat erica, I applied for a few graduate schemes for when I finished uni but didn't get into any so ended up just applying for "normal" jobs.

It took me months to find anywhere that didn't require experience and it was so frustrating. I did end up with somewhere eventually but I really hated it and it had zero career progression. I've just left after 9 months actually and am back in the rat race. Its still feels quite difficult but I'm getting a few interviews that I wouldn't have 12 months back.

Um, I guess my advice would be to big myself up. Look for experience in your university activities (IT skills, team work skills etc). Did you do any admin work for societies or anything?

Well done on your 2:1 btw :five:
hey thanks for the reply and advice good luck with yr interviews- hope you find a job that you find more rewarding too. i didn't really do much for uni activities but i have some summer voluntary work experience i guess i could use. thanks again and best of luck!
erica123
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
You could become a teacher which a lot of History graduates go into! You start on 20 k or something.
thanks for the suggestion. i don't think i have the personality to be a teacher tho tbh as im not an assertive person- can't imagine telling the kids what to do. but thanks anyway
erica123
(Original post by Quady)
You can go in for most grad schemes. why have you set your sights so low? the point of a degree is to jump over those jobs and go straight into a well paid career.
First of all, what do you want to do in life?
thanks for the reply- i guess that is part of the problem- not really knowing what i want to do in life. setting my sights so low is prob due partly to low seld esteem i think- im hoping being in work will help build some self esteem.
anyway thanks for the reply and best of luck in your own career!
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you sound sooo sweet - you would become a great teacher!
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yea but seriously, what do you want to do for the next 40 years?

Office work won't help if you want to be a paramedic.

That needs to be your first priority.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You shouldn't even be entertaining office/admin jobs that pay minimum wage with your background. By all means, go and do a job that pays minimum wage if there is sufficient career progression opportunities, a lot of accountancy jobs start on minimum wage, for example, because you have to "learn your trade" so to speak, but doing an office/admin job offers no career progression and the money is **** to boot. The experience you gain is not worthwhile. If you go to another job interview and say "I worked in an office filing paper and filling out databases for a year" it adds nothing to your profile, probably takes away from it infact.
Loochery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm in a similar position. I've got a 2:1 in English Language and Linguistics and have found myself applying for EVERY job I find, even if it's not related to my degree. It's so frustrating! Despite applying for grad schemes since last year I have nothing. I'm starting to get seriously paranoid about my CV.

I too have been applying for admin jobs which I know I'll hate, but everyone has to start somewhere I guess.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Graduate programme at a multi-national company?
WOLLSMOTH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should be on a decent 35k a year...
Alasdair
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
You should be on a decent 35k a year...
:rofl:
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some people are so deluded..
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Reading this I'm glad I didn't do a humanities degree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed