A Level Economics Watch

This discussion is closed.
db5vry7772ccz28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I want to take AS Level Economics when I go back to sixth form next year (Year 12 see) and I was just wondering about a few things

1] Is it absolutely exceptionally difficult like some people have said
2] Would a GCSE in Business Studies have helped with it (I didn't take BS there)
3] If taken with another 4 AS levels is it manageable?
4] Is it Really worth it (in your opinion)
The Sherminator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1) No its not hard, just spend time and listen to the teacher in class.
2) No, the concepts aren't the same.
3) Yes, many on here did.
4) Yes! :p: I love the subject, so I would naturally think so, its up to you, what you want to do and achieve and what your ambitions are. Its an interesting subject nonetheless, and many people develop an interest through wider reading. Some people do completely different subjects (eg: Medecine) and yet still want to read about the subject because its interesting.
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1. Depends on what board. OCR is quite hard for economics
2. No need
3. Yes it is
4. Its a very good A level and is valued by unis as a good essay subject.
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1.No
2.No
3.Yes
4.Probably
02mik_e
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1. To me it depends on who you are. Many people in my year find it difficult, but others find it relatively easy. It's easy if you know all the concepts and be how to apply them.

2. ermm i am not sure, but i suppose it should help you with the very basics at A2.

3. Yes it is highly manageable. If you know your concepts well you don't really have to spend so much time revising for it when exams come.

4. Yes it is worth it. It is highly regarded by unis and not many people take it.

All the best
sostressed
Report 10 years ago
1)Its not that hard if your interested in the subject, people who say it is hard probably don't get it and don't have enough passion for it.
2)Don't worry about business studies, tbh i think its a waste of time at A level as well as at GSCE. I did for AS, I found compared to economics it was just not interesting, the theories and concepts were just plain boring. If your worried about not having a good grounding for A level economics as long as you've got a good maths grade (B, A or A*) that should be fine.
3)probably, but don't underestimate the amount of work you will be doing. My school gave as 4 hours homework a week in each subject closer to 5 for A2.
4) completely worth it, a well respected A level and leads to one of the best degrees you can do.
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From the point of view of someone who didn't love the subject:

1) Depends on the person-I didn't enjoy the course because of the essays we had to write. I wouldn't say it was too hard content-wise, I just struggled with the essays, and thinking of relevant points to write.

2) For many people economics is a completely new subject so no previous knowledge is assumed. If you've done BS GCSE there may be some overlap, but it'll all be taught again anyway.

3) I think it depends on what the other 4 subjects are. I wouldn't advise it.

4) Weeell...to be honest I didn't enjoy it too much. I'm not sure why though exactly. I found parts of the contents dull, the lessons were boring and the teacher was somewhat annoying, and I was put off taking it to A2. A lot of the course was quite interesting and taught me a lot about the way the economy works, which made it worthwhile. In a way I wish I'd taken a different subject, but it did teach me a lot of usefull stuff.
narc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Kinda depends I guess, personally I haven't found it too bad, but then again, about 1/4 of my class dropped it though =/ There's a lot of diagrams and if you can understand them it's alright.

2] Would a GCSE in Business Studies have helped with it (I didn't take BS there)

Me and my friend didn't take BS and we were fine.

Erm, probably. Our exam board is OCR and there aren't really any essays and stuff so guess so. I did 4 though.

Yes.
SouthernFreerider
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its hard if you dont have an analytical mind. if you do its not too bad.
Hanoi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by db5vry7772ccz28)
I want to take AS Level Economics when I go back to sixth form next year (Year 12 see) and I was just wondering about a few things

Well if you want to do something economics related at uni then yes it's worth it. But if you do economics that would be 5 subjects...so if you're not really that interested in economics then maybe it's better to just concentrate on your other subjects.
jkyng1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I think AS is managable, A2 is more difficult.

well I take business studies in A2 as well and I don't think it helped at all. I like both subjects so I took both. not thinking whether it helped or not..

should be.

very, because it's a highly respected subject
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
AS level is very easy. A2 can be hard work though.

I did GCSE Business, and it gave me no headstart with Econ AS. You do much more abstract concepts in Unit 1 especially.

Should be alright alongside 4 AS's (the first year is easy) - I would advise doing A2 as it becomes more interesting then.

Like I said, it is definitely worth it if you are going to carry on to A2.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.3%
No - but I will (71)
8.05%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.51%

Watched Threads