No country for old men....eh? (slight spoiler) Watch

curiouslyorange1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok i like to think of myself as a reasonably intelligent person, so i would first like to deflect any insinuations that i lack intelligence or simply "dont get the films majesty" however i would like to ask, what is with the critics absolutely botting this film???

i mean i buy the dvd and its plastered with rave reviews, "thrilling," "exhausting thrill ride" etc not only from the high brow papers like the independant but also from the less educated papers like the sun and news of the world. I then slap it in the dvd player and im rewarded with the most boring and confused film ive ever seen in my life!

it just makes no sense! sure i get the symbolism, embodiment of evil, nihilism lets all go and slit our wrists and die but even that wont matter etc, but the plot just dies at the end. We follow a main character to not even see him get killed! like WTF?!?!

sure its out there and different, but maybe theres a reason that such an ending isnt mainstream, because its crap. It really did not emotionally effect me in anyway!

is it just me? am i just missing some vital peice in my soul which prevents me appreciating this film?
thebarmaidsmiles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I came out of this film feeling like my IQ had just got divided and that I'd lost a valuable few hours of my life.

Just didn't get it, which is fine maybe I'm just a bit thicker than I thought or something, but it wasn't even remotely entertaining or interesting.

I always think that films like this are there specifically to make normal people feel stupid and critics just jump on the 'this film is so deeep' bandwaggon for fear of feeling stupid themselves.

But then that's just me, and I'm just a normal person
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought it was awesome and the ending fair enough ambiguous as it is wasnt too bad and leaves you thinking about the movie all the way home and into your bed.

Cleverly done and scripted and think the acting was superb.

I understand what you mean regarding the plot and ending but I found it pretty cool, thats maybe because Im a big movie fan and tend to watch a heck of a lot of movies or I just misinterpreted the movie wrong lol.
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was rubbish. Can't even belive it got nominated for so many things.
Same for Brokeback mountain that was as equally bad.
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yasmin2K8)
I thought it was awesome and the ending fair enough ambiguous as it is wasnt too bad and leaves you thinking about the movie all the way home and into your bed.

Cleverly done and scripted and think the acting was superb.

I understand what you mean regarding the plot and ending but I found it pretty cool, thats maybe because Im a big movie fan and tend to watch a heck of a lot of movies or I just misinterpreted the movie wrong lol.
i can understand and appreciate if from a purely artistic and academic standing, the acting, cinematography and such were all excellent, and it did have loads of little bits which could be interpreted (rather like a challanging piece of literature), however i would argue that as a form of entertainment it was sadly lacking, and hardly thrilling in anyway (say like the bourne films)
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
i can understand and appreciate if from a purely artistic and academic standing, the acting, cinematography and such were all excellent, and it did have loads of little bits which could be interpreted (rather like a challanging piece of literature), however i would argue that as a form of entertainment it was sadly lacking, and hardly thrilling in anyway (say like the bourne films)
hmmm I would agree with you but in context as in depends on what entertains you, The Bourne movies were pure lock stock action movies that were fast paced and kept you on your feet as much as I like them movies, I also like slower paced movies which leaves more to the audience how they interpret it.

A lot of people have said that The Godfather is boring or too slow etc but it is deeply entertaining in my opinion.

So I suppose it depends on what type of entertainment you like and maybe to the masses it was slightly boring and I would agree.
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I liked this film a lot. It provided such a nice break from the 'tried and tested' (or maybe more tired and testing) formulaic murder movies in which mr magic cop figures it all out and saves the day. It made statements about whether we really have much bearing on how our lives play out, and about how violence is so embedded in film.

The ending is open, and I realise sometimes that can be infuriating, but I didn't find it with this film. I don't know if I'd lay on all the praise given to it by the various critics, but it's certainly one of the better films of late.
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yasmin2K8)
hmmm I would agree with you but in context as in depends on what entertains you, The Bourne movies were pure lock stock action movies that were fast paced and kept you on your feet as much as I like them movies, I also like slower paced movies which leaves more to the audience how they interpret it.

A lot of people have said that The Godfather is boring or too slow etc but it is deeply entertaining in my opinion.

So I suppose it depends on what type of entertainment you like and maybe to the masses it was slightly boring and I would agree.
yea i guess lol it just evoked memories of forcing myself to read the spire by DH lawrence for my literature coursework! i couldnt do it if i wasnt going to get an A level out of it by the end
SunnyMurdoch
Report 10 years ago
The only outstanding thing was Javier Bardem's acting.
NavalChicken
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I think the main reason for the film ending the way it did, was the fact that the book it was adapted from ends in exactly the same way.
asdasta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There was so much hype behind this around Christmas that when I saw it, I was really bemused - the pacing, the ending, the omission of important events all threw me completely. I've seen it about three times since because the film really bugged me - I thought it was very quotable, well acted and well shot. I see it now as a very good film, but certainly not worthy of the greatness it lays claim to. There Will Be Blood should have annihilated it at the Oscars.
Kink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It think it supposed to be artful, not thrilling. No musical score, all carefully and plantively constructed script, beautiful cinematography. It just shows you what different ways movies can be made.
asdasta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do hate how people infer the film has so much depth. One of my friends said
Spoiler:
Show
That Chigurgh surviving the car crash represents the ubiquity of evil
Even as a serious film student, I had to laugh at his comment and tell him he was a) full of **** b) making a very tenuous observation and grasping at straws c) making a big deal out of something fairly elementary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.5%
No - but I will (87)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.09%

Watched Threads