jam1e
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I started my degree a month ago and I'm really struggling on how to take notes. Originally I was typing them but I read that writing is more effective, but now I'm struggling on how to structure my notes and more importantly how I should organise them. Should I use a notebook for each of my modules, or a binder with sections for each module instead? Any tips on useful note taking or organisation tips would be very appreciated as I really don't wanna fall behind
FormerTeacher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jam1e)
I started my degree a month ago and I'm really struggling on how to take notes. Originally I was typing them but I read that writing is more effective, but now I'm struggling on how to structure my notes and more importantly how I should organise them. Should I use a notebook for each of my modules, or a binder with sections for each module instead? Any tips on useful note taking or organisation tips would be very appreciated as I really don't wanna fall behind
Hi Jamie! I found this notebook really useful during Uni: https://www.staples.co.uk/arc-notebo...297744451.html You can buy dividers, but the really useful thing is you can remove the paper really easily and make each section as big or small as you need. Means you can divide one large folder into diff modules, and add paper as required. I definitely found writing made the info 'stick' but it is up to the individual.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jam1e)
Ok. So now its time to really get properly organised! Your degree program organisers would have sent you sn outline of the course content for each semester-:right? they would also have given the reading resources, details of tests/ exams, lecture / seminar times etc. On many courses the lectures and notes are recorded! You should be using them and your textbooks etc. to organise , date and understand your notes! I dont agree with students who just sit in lectures and listen. I think they should be occasionally writing with a view to checking out difficult words or concepts during private study! Note taking in lectures is not about writing every word down! Try to understsnd the stuff and follow up by writing your own notes during private study. Colour code different topics! Use headings and dates. Learning at uni is a completely different game to school or college learning because you are now officially an adult !- and lecturers are not teachers!
jam1e
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by mgi)
Ok. So now its time to really get properly organised! Your degree program organisers would have sent you sn outline of the course content for each semester-:right? they would also have given the reading resources, details of tests/ exams, lecture / seminar times etc. On many courses the lectures and notes are recorded! You should be using them and your textbooks etc. to organise , date and understand your notes! I dont agree with students who just sit in lectures and listen. I think they should be occasionally writing with a view to checking out difficult words or concepts during private study! Note taking in lectures is not about writing every word down! Try to understsnd the stuff and follow up by writing your own notes during private study. Colour code different topics! Use headings and dates. Learning at uni is a completely different game to school or college learning because you are now officially an adult !- and lecturers are not teachers!
My uni doesn't record their lectures, but I'm able to audio record and then with the software I use I add in notes as the lecture is happening that the lecturer says that isn't on the powerpoint. It's just once I get home when I struggle, is it easier to write or type notes, as I know writing can help memorise them better but sometimes lectures are painfully long to write out hahah. If writing, would it be easier to write notes on refill pads and then organise everything into an arch lever folder so I can add in possibly any handouts (even though I haven't got any this far and I'm unsure on if I will)
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jam1e)
My uni doesn't record their lectures, but I'm able to audio record and then with the software I use I add in notes as the lecture is happening that the lecturer says that isn't on the powerpoint. It's just once I get home when I struggle, is it easier to write or type notes, as I know writing can help memorise them better but sometimes lectures are painfully long to write out hahah. If writing, would it be easier to write notes on refill pads and then organise everything into an arch lever folder so I can add in possibly any handouts (even though I haven't got any this far and I'm unsure on if I will)
Write your notes during the lecture; it helps you to concentrate . Then when you go to do private study, preferably the same day, you make sure they are fully complete and clear. Then you date them and pur them in an arch lever folder. See website below. Some excellent advice: https://www.theknowledgeroundtable.c...when-studying/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads