HM Treasury Policy Advisor - Official Thread 2019-2020 Watch

connorfrench96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I found these practise tests on the civil service website. The numerical reasoning is quite tough and much worse than the ones I've been practising on Practise Aptitude Tests, I'm hoping the actual one isn't as hard.

Numerical Reasoning: https://2x-dc2.kenexa.com/2xAssess/u...b989065c1c0a69

Verbal Reasoning: https://2x-dc2.kenexa.com/2xAssess/u...70620f6c8cc78c

Found them on this website: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/preparin...easoning-tests
connorfrench96
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nawaal123)
anyone know what the online numerical test and verbal test suppliers are e.g. SHL etc ???????
Kenexa
sarskinz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by msmiawallace)
If you’ve done numerical/verbal tests for other civil service positions - how do these ones compare? Are they similar?
i have no idea unfortunately
Popsbr123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I hate to sound paranoid, but how long did you guys spend on the verbal reasoning? 😊
anon1942
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got 8 questions for numerical reasoning. Did anyone get any more than that? Just panicked a bit because it says it’s adaptive and worried I got the last one wrong and it’s locked me out of the rest of it... last year there were 12.
xx1t35
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anon1942)
I got 8 questions for numerical reasoning. Did anyone get any more than that? Just panicked a bit because it says it’s adaptive and worried I got the last one wrong and it’s locked me out of the rest of it... last year there were 12.
i hvent done the test but i assume that the less questions the better? because unless you got every single one wrong, they're probably already hit the pass mark! were the questions hard/quick? ive been practicing the 'big 4' ones and they're actually impossible-are these ones this hard?
xx1t35
Rep:
?
Hi so I know the tests aren't timed but are the tests recorded? On the civil service website it doesn't say anything about the tests being recorded and that we can 'take as long as we want' but I'm not sure if this applies to the Treasury role or not :s I remember people saying they took a long time... but agh it's annoying because I don't want to take my time IF the test is recorded, but at the same time there's no point rushing if its not.
connorfrench96
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by xx1t35)
Hi so I know the tests aren't timed but are the tests recorded? On the civil service website it doesn't say anything about the tests being recorded and that we can 'take as long as we want' but I'm not sure if this applies to the Treasury role or not :s I remember people saying they took a long time... but agh it's annoying because I don't want to take my time IF the test is recorded, but at the same time there's no point rushing if its not.
The burning question!
Whilstingeye
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm doing my Numerical and Verbal tests tomorrow, done a few practice ones and feel okayish about them - anyone have any advice for the numerical one? Maths isn't my strongest point...
anon1942
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck! Could you tell us how many questions you get...
(Original post by Whilstingeye)
I'm doing my Numerical and Verbal tests tomorrow, done a few practice ones and feel okayish about them - anyone have any advice for the numerical one? Maths isn't my strongest point...
anon1942
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In my case they kept getting harder which I guess is a good sign... but I think I got the last one wrong. So I don’t know if 8 is the total number or whether I fluffed the last one and it’s now locked me out?
(Original post by xx1t35)
i hvent done the test but i assume that the less questions the better? because unless you got every single one wrong, they're probably already hit the pass mark! were the questions hard/quick? ive been practicing the 'big 4' ones and they're actually impossible-are these ones this hard?
msmiawallace
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’ve just done my tests. They aren’t hard, but go slow and read everything carefully. Keep paper and a calculator with you for the numerical test. Some of the numerical questions seem difficult when you first read but they really aren’t, it’s just applying logical thinking so don’t worry if your actual maths skills are rusty. It’s almost 8 years since I last did any maths, I wasn’t amazing at it then, and I got through this fine.
Hannahjoyfull
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’ve just done my tests. They aren’t hard, but go slow and read everything carefully. Keep paper and a calculator with you for the numerical test. Some of the numerical questions seem difficult when you first read but they really aren’t, it’s just applying logical thinking so don’t worry if your actual maths skills are rusty. It’s almost 8 years since I last did any maths, I wasn’t amazing at it then, and I got through this fine.
Thank you for this, it’s really useful! Good luck
connorfrench96
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you Mia! I’m probably going to do it tomorrow and a little nervous for the Numerical Reasoning. I’ve been doing some practise tests so I’m hoping this will be enough! Do you remember how many questions you did for it, or around how long it took? Just want to know how much time to put aside.
xx1t35
Rep:
?
Hi i know there isn’t a time limit, but do they record your time taken? Or can you spend as long as you want on the questions?
xx1t35
Rep:
?
(Original post by anon1942)
In my case they kept getting harder which I guess is a good sign... but I think I got the last one wrong. So I don’t know if 8 is the total number or whether I fluffed the last one and it’s now locked me out?
If you only got one question wrong I think you’ve done very well so try not to stress! I haven’t done my numerical test yet but I will let you know how many questions when I do! Did you take as long as you need on the questions or worked quickly because they kept time recorded?
Sonia_3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Whilstingeye)
I haven’t actually done the test yet but it sounds very similar to the HMRC TSP one. Take your time and read the question again before you move on to the next one. It’s easy to miss a key word which would change your answer completely.
xx1t35
Rep:
?
Just completed the tests, I think I got around 7 or 8 questions, and I took 20 minutes I don't know how well i did because in my opinion they didn't go from easy to progressively hard. it was like easy, hard, easy, hard, easy, hard.. Not sure if I did too well on the numerical but I tried my best.
msmiawallace
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by connorfrench96)
Thank you Mia! I’m probably going to do it tomorrow and a little nervous for the Numerical Reasoning. I’ve been doing some practise tests so I’m hoping this will be enough! Do you remember how many questions you did for it, or around how long it took? Just want to know how much time to put aside.
I think there were about 8 questions for each, verbal took me 7 minutes (I’m better with verbal reasoning) and numerical took me 15 - I had to pause to work a couple of them out on paper.
connorfrench96
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think there were about 8 questions for each, verbal took me 7 minutes (I’m better with verbal reasoning) and numerical took me 15 - I had to pause to work a couple of them out on paper.
Thank you - much appreciated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (358)
45.78%
No (84)
10.74%
I'm not old enough (340)
43.48%

Watched Threads