Do I have to pay a parking fine outside of my own house? Watch

Mirajane97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I was in the process of moving from one university house to the other, I never brought my car to university before so I didn't have a parking permit.

I got a parking fine and appealed it, giving evidence that I lived at the address, but explained I couldn't get a permit the day before since i arrived late in the day, and was told to set a parking permit up for my new house instead of the old one.

now I got a letter saying that since my postal address is now my new address they won't even look at the evidence and i have to pay, they said if I was in the process of moving I could have rung up and my car rej would have been blocked from fines for a few days, but I did ring up before going to university and no such thing was said.

so am I still liable for paying a parking fine outside my own house? it seems like the whole process has been set up so more people have to pay parking fines.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mirajane97)
I was in the process of moving from one university house to the other, I never brought my car to university before so I didn't have a parking permit.

I got a parking fine and appealed it, giving evidence that I lived at the address, but explained I couldn't get a permit the day before since i arrived late in the day, and was told to set a parking permit up for my new house instead of the old one.

now I got a letter saying that since my postal address is now my new address they won't even look at the evidence and i have to pay, they said if I was in the process of moving I could have rung up and my car rej would have been blocked from fines for a few days, but I did ring up before going to university and no such thing was said.

so am I still liable for paying a parking fine outside my own house? it seems like the whole process has been set up so more people have to pay parking fines.
Is this a university levied fine or a council fine? Parking fines generally are set up so that people have to pay them, and if after one more explanation with evidence of emails/calls, you get nowhere, pay up and get on with life. That it's outside your own house is irrelevant.
Mirajane97
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Is this a university levied fine or a council fine? Parking fines generally are set up so that people have to pay them, and if after one more explanation with evidence of emails/calls, you get nowhere, pay up and get on with life. That it's outside your own house is irrelevant.
Its a council fine, but I was told if I had originally phoned up I would have been put on a block list, I did phone up and they never even mentioned that, it seems like most of the fault was on there part.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mirajane97)
Its a council fine, but I was told if I had originally phoned up I would have been put on a block list, I did phone up and they never even mentioned that, it seems like most of the fault was on there part.
Unless you can prove it ...
Mirajane97
Rep:
?
I' sure the phone calls are all recorded, but I can't even remember who it was with, so I doubt theyd look into it if it's not beneficial for them.
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It doesn't matter. You didn't have a permit so you weren't able to park there, regardless of residential status.

Pay it when you can and avoid bother.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes you have to pay it. Follow the rules next time.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You're liable to pay it, your fault, swallow the L and move on.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
With it being a council fine it's -probably- not worth your time and effort fighting it.

just pay up

And work in McDonalds or wherever for a few hours to recoup the money.
Kevin091
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi..
Kevin091
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
wea are you from?
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kevin091)
wea are you from?
Why the hell would that matter?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (162)
53.29%
18-20 years old (no) (36)
11.84%
20-25 years old (yes) (49)
16.12%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.32%
25-30 years old (yes) (20)
6.58%