Are there any charge cards in the UK that aren't from American Express Watch

C.Goodyear
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Does any other card issuer offer charge cards?
ericl3ung
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Revolut offers charge cards.
C.Goodyear
Rep:
?
(Original post by ericl3ung)
Revolut offers charge cards.
I can't find an information on them having a charge card.
martin7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by C.Goodyear)
Out of interest, why do you want a charge card rather than a credit card? It seems to me that you can effectively treat a credit card as a charge card by paying the balance in full every month.
ericl3ung
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can't find an information on them having a charge card.
Oh sorry, I forgot what charge card meant, the only charge card I know in the UK is AMEX.
C.Goodyear
Rep:
?
(Original post by martin7)
Out of interest, why do you want a charge card rather than a credit card? It seems to me that you can effectively treat a credit card as a charge card by paying the balance in full every month.
There is no pre-set credit limit, with a credit card you need to be careful not to spend too much of your credit limit (utilisation) because it is a factor in determining your credit score.
martin7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

There is no pre-set credit limit, with a credit card you need to be careful not to spend too much of your credit limit (utilisation) because it is a factor in determining your credit score.
Amex may have "no pre-set credit limit" on its charge cards, but that doesn't mean that other charge card providers (if there are any!) will take that approach.

In any case, if you apply for credit it's up to the lender how they interpret your credit record. They may or may not take "utilisation" into account -- they might just consider your overall indebtedness and payment record.

(For what it's worth, the "no pre-set limit" approach just leaves you with uncertainty as to whether a purchase will be approved. A fixed credit limit gives much more certainty.)
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No pre-set limit, but if you start spending over £X then they'll trigger a financial review.
C.Goodyear
Rep:
?
(Original post by martin7)

Amex may have "no pre-set credit limit" on its charge cards, but that doesn't mean that other charge card providers (if there are any!) will take that approach.

In any case, if you apply for credit it's up to the lender how they interpret your credit record. They may or may not take "utilisation" into account -- they might just consider your overall indebtedness and payment record.

(For what it's worth, the "no pre-set limit" approach just leaves you with uncertainty as to whether a purchase will be approved. A fixed credit limit gives much more certainty.)
From everything I have heard credit utilisation is one of the factors in determining credit score.

Although a fixed limit does have certainty as to whether a transaction will be approved, ideally you would not want to use up more than 25 or 30% of your monthly credit line. And in reality the (ambiguous) spending limit on a charge card will be much higher than a credit limit and without any negative consequences for using a high percentage of the credit line.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
From everything I have heard credit utilisation is one of the factors in determining credit score.

Although a fixed limit does have certainty as to whether a transaction will be approved, ideally you would not want to use up more than 25 or 30% of your monthly credit line. And in reality the (ambiguous) spending limit on a charge card will be much higher than a credit limit and without any negative consequences for using a high percentage of the credit line.
This isn't really correct. The approved limit on a charge card can actually be quite low, and often lower than a credit card. It depends of the credit worthiness of the cardholder. You are technically correct that a charge card is reported to the CRA without a limit, and thus it isn't possible to calculate a credit utilisation figure from an outstanding monthly balance. However, a high credit balance will usually lower your score (even transiently), regardless of the 'credit utilisation'. In other words, if you owe £16000 on your charge card, it doesn't matter that there's no 'limit' showing: your score will be lower purely as a result of having so much outstanding unsecured personal lending.

By the way, 'premier' bank accounts often offer chargecards to their customers. NatWest Private is one such example. The chargecard is linked to the bank account. Diners club used to offer personal chargecards (and indeed was the first company to so do) but they now only offer company charge cards. The only other brand was JCB, but you really don't see that very often, and even less rarely out of London.

EDIT - having just checked, JCB doesn't offer them now, either.
Last edited by Reality Check; 4 weeks ago
C.Goodyear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
This isn't really correct. The approved limit on a charge card can actually be quite low, and often lower than a credit card. It depends of the credit worthiness of the cardholder. You are technically correct that a charge card is reported to the CRA without a limit, and thus it isn't possible to calculate a credit utilisation figure from an outstanding monthly balance. However, a high credit balance will usually lower your score (even transiently), regardless of the 'credit utilisation'. In other words, if you owe £16000 on your charge card, it doesn't matter that there's no 'limit' showing: your score will be lower purely as a result of having so much outstanding unsecured personal lending.

By the way, 'premier' bank accounts often offer chargecards to their customers. NatWest Private is one such example. The chargecard is linked to the bank account. Diners club used to offer personal chargecards (and indeed was the first company to so do) but they now only offer company charge cards. The only other brand was JCB, but you really don't see that very often, and even less rarely out of London.

EDIT - having just checked, JCB doesn't offer them now, either.
I don't know if it classifies as "owing" it unless it is past the due date. Interesting. My credit rating is quite good but as a student my income is quite low.

Does JCB issue credit cards in the UK? I thought they only operated in East Asia?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know if it classifies as "owing" it unless it is past the due date. Interesting. My credit rating is quite good but as a student my income is quite low.
Yes, any outstanding balance on a charge card is reported to the CRAs if, at the time of reporting, there is a balance outstanding, whether or not it's past its due date. Or it is on my Amex, anyway.

[quote}Does JCB issue credit cards in the UK? I thought they only operated in East Asia?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to get one, but haven't done for quite some time now (i.e. probably not since the 90s)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.29%
Spring (36)
18.75%
Autumn/Fall (48)
25%
Winter (36)
18.75%
I love them all equally (10)
5.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise