Plzz Evalute My Profile.its Urgent Watch

optimisticAL
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
HI ALL I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM,

I WILL BE APPLYING FOR 2009 SESSION FOR MATHEMATICAL FINANACE/FINANCIAL ENGG MASTERS. MY PROFILE IS:

NAME: optimisticAL

EDUCATION: BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING IN CIVIL ENGG.
BIRLA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY(BIT),MESRA,RANCHI.
OBTAINED 79.6%, FIRST CLASS WITH DISTINCTION.

WORK EXPERIENCE: WILL BE HAVING 10 MONTHS WORK EXP. BY THE TIME I JOIN THE COURSE.
WORKING AS PROJECT ENGINEER IN WIPRO TECH.

MATHS BACKGROUND:

MATHS I- Calculus differentials, infinite series, Taylor's formula, partial derivatives, multiple integrals MATH,Analytic Geometry & Calculus I,MATH,Analytic Geometry & Calculus II, MATH,Analytic Geometry and Calculus III.

MATH II-Linear Algebra matrices, vectors, determinants, linear systems of equations, linear independence, bases, eigenvalues,eigenvectors MATH.

MATH III-Ordinary Differential Equations 1st-order ODEs, solution techniques, initial value problems, exponential growth/decay, logistic model equilibrium, steady state 2nd-order linear constant-coefficient ODEs MATH Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations.

MATH IV-Probability continuous and discrete distributions, multivariate distributions and independence, ordinary and conditional expectations, Central Limit Theorem , Introduction to Probability Theory and Applications.

STUDIED STATISTICS DURING CLASS XII AS AN ELECTIVE FOR TWO YEARS.

FINANCE BACKGROUND: STUDIED MANAGEMENT AND ECONOMICS(MACRO AND MICRO) FOR 8TH SEMESTER,PROJECT MANAGEMENT IN 6TH SEMESTER.

COMPUTER BACKGROUNDNIX & C PROGRAMMING ,PROGRAMMING IN C++,FORTRAN,DATA STRUCTURE,JAVA.

Gre:Got 1400 (V-600,Q-800) AWA 4.5

Toefl:IBT : 110/120

Also I am considering to give the NCFM certifications in derivatives and capital market from NSE before i submit my application.

Applying for following programs for Fall / Summer 2009 admission:

LSE :-MSC Financial mathematics
oxford :-MSC in mathematical and computational finance
IMPERIAL COLLEGE :- MSC Risk management and FE
ETH ZURICH :-Master of Advanced studies in Finance
WARWICK UNI :-MSC in financial mathematics
NANYANG UNI (SINGAPORE) :-MSC FE
Columbia :- MS: Financial Engineering
Princeton: - MFin
Cambridge: - M Phil (Financial Engineering) specialization
King’s College, London: - MSc Financial Mathematics
U of Chicago: - MS: Financial Mathematics

Please give your valuable feedback on
1) What are "my chances to get into above mentioned programs"
2) What should I do to improve my chances

Eagerly waiting for your feedback,

Thanks in Advance,

optimisticAL.
georgia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Drop the caps lock lark.
rbilling
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Commas should be used with no space before and a space after. Like, this. Not like,this. Not like ,this.

Also yes, cut the caps.
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
TSR member wants to know whether they'll get onto a course.

Do they a) contact the admissions tutor for the relevant course, explaining their background in full, having checked that they meet the minimum requirement, enquiring as to the level of competition in previous years and whether they would be well-advised to put in an application?

Or do they take option b), posting ridiculous amounts of CAPITALISED AND SHOUTY information about their background in a forum where lots of completely untrained people can fire off uninformed conjecture about their chances?

Place your bets!
Inter-Company
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i hate to hark on about it but given the fact that you claim to have obtained a 1st and a whole host of other scores, i'm surprised you haven't figured out how to work the CAPS lock button :rolleyes:

iNTEr-COMPaNY
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[email protected] name optimistcal - yeh you are being very optimistic with certain choices there
Garden_Gnome
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP contact the universities. You won't know unless you enquire and apply.

No one on here can tell you. You've got a chance, good luck
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Look up the courses on the internet; if you meet the requirements apply. If you want more information on the course ring up the institution.

That is all my uninformed conjecture on the topic
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most of your application seems great, but an analytical GRE score of 4.5 is not good. Verbal doesn't matter too much for math-type courses, and 600 is perfectly respectable anyway. 800 quant is a big bonus, but would be expected for top unis. Analytical writing is usually 5+ for decent unis, however for an entirely math-based course it may be less important.

Generally application seems like you'd have a good shot, but you won't know until you try.
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
troll? wtf i only applied to two universities- notts and aston.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IcEmAn911)
troll? wtf i only applied to two universities- notts and aston.
Well, some people do apply to lots of places...:dontknow: Most can't be bothered to apply to more than five, though (and unless there's something seriously wrong with your application, that should probably be enough to get you at least one offer).
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
Well, some people do apply to lots of places...:dontknow: Most can't be bothered to apply to more than five, though (and unless there's something seriously wrong with your application, that should probably be enough to get you at least one offer).
I just don't see the point in applying to more than 2 places because of the time and effort involved in deadling with the personal statements, obtaining references, and filling out the application forms, whilst trying to study for your degree at the same time!! Plus the fact that you'll need to make a deposit (Aston-£1500, Notts- £350) in order to secure your place makes it even more pointless when two is more than enough whilst more than two offers would make it even more tougher to make a decision and to whittle it down to one.
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just don't see the point in applying to more than 2 places because of the time and effort involved in deadling with the personal statements, obtaining references, and filling out the application forms, whilst trying to study for your degree at the same time!! Plus the fact that you'll need to make a deposit (Aston-£1500, Notts- £350) in order to secure your place makes it even more pointless when two is more than enough whilst more than two offers would make it even more tougher to make a decision and to whittle it down to one.
Are deposits a recent thing? I never got asked for one.
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
Are deposits a recent thing? I never got asked for one.
I'm not sure but when I applied back around 7 months ago I received offers from both Aston and Nottingham a few months later on Feb/March with Aston wanting a deposit of £1,500 to secure the place whilst Nottingham wanted £350. This made it difficult to choose as the only way to get it back is to basically underperform so much that the university will not be able to take you.
What universities did you apply to? I find it strange that I'm probably one of only a few who've been asked for a deposit...

Although the thing is I'm applying from a different university (De Montfort University- Former polytechnic) and not the same one where I've recently completed my course..
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure but when I applied back around 7 months ago I received offers from both Aston and Nottingham a few months later on Feb/March with Aston wanting a deposit of £1,500 to secure the place whilst Nottingham wanted £350. This made it difficult to choose as the only way to get it back is to basically underperform so much that the university will not be able to take you.
What universities did you apply to? I find it strange that I'm probably one of only a few who've been asked for a deposit...

Although the thing is I'm applying from a different university (De Montfort University- Former polytechnic) and not the same one where I've recently completed my course..
Erm, Oxford, Sheffield and Birmingham. Never got asked for a bean, and I don't really know anyone else who's been asked for a deposit, either (other than for accomodation once the place has been confirmed, post-results). :confused:
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Erm, Oxford, Sheffield and Birmingham. Never got asked for a bean, and I don't really know anyone else who's been asked for a deposit, either (other than for accomodation once the place has been confirmed, post-results). :confused:
I've also had to pay a deposit of £250 for the accomodation which was a few months ago aswell even though I only just received my grades. I don't understand why I was asked for a deposit, the only reason I could think of is to prove that you're serious about the course. Oh well, I'm not too fussed as it's automatically taken off my tuition fee but I'm currently having some doubts about the course itself and whether or not I should change to aston uni (the one who wants a deposit of £1,500) off me.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=620532
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, to be fair, assuming you're applying for similar types of courses, the personal statement is going to be similar anyway, application forms tend to be dull but not very time-consuming, and your referees won't write your references from scratch every single time (so again, if you're applying for similar courses, it shouldn't be too much extra hassle to them). As for the deposit, that only becomes an issue once you actually have an offer, and not all universities require them.

Having said that, though, I only made two applications myself (I was at the point of starting the third when I got my first offer, which I was happy with, so I decided not to bother) and I sort of see where you're coming from... I think it makes more sense to narrow down your choices beforehand rather than make ten applications and be forced to decide between eight offers, some of which you may not actually have wanted that badly. If nothing else its a waste of time for you, your referees and the admin staff at the universities you're applying to. Then again, I suppose some people just get a bit panicky at the thought they might get no offers at all, so they make more applications than necessary so they can be sure of having *some* offers to choose from.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exeter ask for a deposit as well - but they also send you a long email informing you of how well they've performed in various league tables, so I suppose that makes it all right.:p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (206)
40.08%
No - but I will (31)
6.03%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.81%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
47.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise