Learning BSL? Watch

KatieLouise08
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Iv always wanted to learn British Sign Language (BSL) but have no idea how. My local college runs classes but I cant make them due to work. Is there somewhere easy to learn on the internet thats preferably also free?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
JennyB
Report 10 years ago
BSL is hard to learn online, but you could get a book with basic signs in them
It's all about the entire expression of the language as opposed to the individual signs
and obv they cant test you online
but its an amazing skill to learn
Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
I suspect you might find it easier to learn at University than in your current situation.

My cousin is going to be being taught it from Year 1 as she has a deaf classmate. I think she is really lucky since I have a deaf friend and a deaf workmate and I always feel terrible that I can't communicate with them properly.
JennyB
Report 10 years ago
Yeah i hear quite a few schools are doing that now, which is amazing.
I think it should be taught in schools; how much more likely are you to meet a deaf person in the working world than a french/spanish person? (unless youre obv working in some kind of international job)

My grandparents were both deaf, and so i could sign before i could talk. However, theyve both died now so i dont get much of a chance to continue doing it, and it does fade with time. Like, i can understand it really well, but find it more difficult to reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed