Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey all, I wanted some advice on this.

I am currently an FY1 in a London teaching hospital and am finally starting to settle into my first few months as a doctor. For a long time, I've had thoughts of moving to the US and practicing there, I got a greencard via family sponsorship from my aunt in the US about 4 years ago and with the situation in the NHS and the lack of training or teaching within the foundation programme I've experienced here plus the much higher long-term salary over the pond, I wanted to consider giving it a try. I was looking into various options to take a year out between F1 and F2 years to sit the USMLEs. Has anybody taken a year out after FY1? How do deaneries look upon this and whats the application like for a standalone F2 programme if I were to leave my programme after finishing FY1?

Thanks
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I am currently an FY1 in a London teaching hospital and am finally starting to settle into my first few months as a doctor. For a long time, I've had thoughts of moving to the US and practicing there, I got a greencard via family sponsorship from my aunt in the US about 4 years ago and with the situation in the NHS and the lack of training or teaching within the foundation programme I've experienced here plus the much higher long-term salary over the pond, I wanted to consider giving it a try. I was looking into various options to take a year out between F1 and F2 years to sit the USMLEs. Has anybody taken a year out after FY1? How do deaneries look upon this and whats the application like for a standalone F2 programme if I were to leave my programme after finishing FY1?

Thanks
I'm afraid I don't have any specific relevant experience.

All I will say is that after FY2 is a far more 'natural' time to take time out of the career. If you didn't like the US or you were only able to secure terrible jobs or there was a problem securing a training job at all out there, it would be a lot easier to come back after FY2. You will also have the confidence to do SHO locums here in the interim, which are much more available and much higher paid. You're also just a much more confident doctor at that point I think. Unsure if it would help with US applications, but it might.

Also, can't you do USMLE whilst doing FY2? At least parts of it anyway? People do royal college exams during FY2, after all. In fact if you're that determined you should probably do one during FY1, surely?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks
The admin headache of explaining why you want to leave midway through the Foundation Programme, dealing with the deanery, what happens with competences and so on if you want to re-join, etc are all seriously convincing reasons to complete FY2 and then take time out imho.

A post-FY2 doctor is also in a far better position to do locums, which will no doubt be useful while you're studying I'd have thought.
HHaricot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks
Deaneries only allow exceptional leave between f1 and f2, tho this guidance might be changing. However, so are the rules on eligibility for application for standalone F2 [as well as much reduced spaces due to over recruitment ] so really talk early to your deanery if you are going to do this.
But why not sit while in F2?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thanks for your replies. I think my main worry is that most people emphasise a dedicated study period for the steps and I just dont know if I will be able to manage full-time work plus adequate preparation to sit the exams.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thanks for your replies. I think my main worry is that most people emphasise a dedicated study period for the steps and I just dont know if I will be able to manage full-time work plus adequate preparation to sit the exams.
Well as I say that's exactly what people do for the Royal college exams.

Also: is a year even enough to do all parts of the USMLE? Its in 3 parts isn't it? Can you do them all in a single year? What if you fail one part? Are you going to take two years with no pay?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Welcome to life as a postgrad doctor Why would completing the USMLE require dedicated time out whilst membership/fellowship exams don't?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (10)
25%
Unconditional if firmed (1)
2.5%
Unconditional if insurance (0)
0%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (1)
2.5%
No unconditional offers (28)
70%

Watched Threads