Turn on thread page Beta

Hi,

Is anyone able to e-mail me a scan of the Edexcel P1 and P3 Pure Maths
    A(S)-Level papers, which were taken this morning?

Cheers,

Richard Hayden.

Wouldn't that be illegal, for at least two reasons?

[q2]> >Is anyone able to e-mail me a scan of the Edexcel P1 and P3 Pure Maths[/q2]
    [q2]> >A(S)-Level papers, which were taken this morning?[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Wouldn't that be illegal, for at least two reasons?[/q1]

I don't know, is it? Could you possibly give the reasons?

The paper has been taken and Edexcel post specimen papers on their web site, so I can't see the
    problem. Past papers are given to students by teachers (and I think you can also get them by writing
    to Edexcel), and this is now a past paper, is it not?

Maybe copyright comes into it, but as long as I don't sell it or pass it off as my own work etc....

Could you please clarify your two reasons?

Cheers,

Richard Hayden.

---
    Outgoing mail from Richard Hayden is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.317 / Virus Database: 176 - Release Date: 21/01/2002

How'd u find the papers?

P1 was hard, P3 was easy! (thank god)

"Arun Hallan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> How'd u find the papers?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> P1 was hard, P3 was easy! (thank god)[/q1]

P1 was well gay! I got a U. that one with the 2x^(3/2) bull **** pissed me off a lot, the first
    question was gay aswell. I should of done more revision and gone to the lessons really!

Jon

Legion <[email protected] co.uk> wrote:
    [q1]>P1 was well gay![/q1]

How can an exam paper be of cheerful disposition?
    --
    Rob. http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~mtx014/

"Arun Hallan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]> How'd u find the papers?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> P1 was hard, P3 was easy! (thank god)[/q1]

I did P1 yesterday.. I also found it quite hard. Even so, I managed to answer pretty much all of the
    questions, leaving out only 2 or 3 little parts.

For the second question, where it had a picture of a sector (made of an equilateral triangle height
    3 cm and a segment), you were asked to find the length of the radius in surd form. I don't know if
    my way was right:

I took half the equilateral triangle so I had one right angled triangle with length AB as the
    hypotenuse . The angle between the hyp and adj sides was 30 degrees.. the adjacent side being 3 cm.
    Therefore:

cos 30 = 3/AB

root 3/2 = 3/AB

AB = 3/(root 3/2) or 6/root 3

Would I get marks for this??

NC

[q1]> P1 was well gay![/q1]

Interesting choice of adjective....

[q1]> I got a U. that one with the 2x^(3/2) bull **** pissed me off a lot, the first question was gay[/q1]
    [q1]> aswell. I should of done more[/q1]
    revision
    [q1]> and gone to the lessons really![/q1]

How do you know your grade already, or is that an educated guess?

Going to the lessons could well have helped!

Regards,

Richard Hayden.

---
    Outgoing mail from Richard Hayden is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.317 / Virus Database: 176 - Release Date: 21/01/2002

Richard Hayden <[email protected]> wrote in uk.education.maths:
    [q2]>> >Is anyone able to e-mail me a scan of the Edexcel P1 and P3 Pure Maths[/q2]
    [q2]>> >A(S)-Level papers, which were taken this morning?[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>> Wouldn't that be illegal, for at least two reasons?[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I don't know, is it? Could you possibly give the reasons?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>The paper has been taken and Edexcel post specimen papers on their web site, so I can't see the[/q1]
    [q1]>problem. Past papers are given to students by teachers (and I think you can also get them by[/q1]
    [q1]>writing to Edexcel), and this is now a past paper, is it not?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Maybe copyright comes into it, but as long as I don't sell it or pass it off as my own work etc....[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Could you please clarify your two reasons?[/q1]

Please note I was asking a question because I don't know the ful situation. But, since you ask,
    here's what I was thinking:

(1) I would guess that the papers are probably copyright, and in that case distributing them is
    illegal unless you have the copyright owner's permission. That is true even if you don't charge
    any money, and even if you give full credit. (Giving credit shields you from charges of the
    ethical sin of plagiarism, not the legal wrong of copyright infringement.)

(2) Don's testing organizations typically forbid everyone associated with the test from revealing
    its contents? (Specimen questions would not be the same as actual past questions, or not
    necessarily.)

Again, please note that I asked a question. I mention my two reasons for asking the question because
    you asked me to explain them. It is possible that neither applies -- perhaps the test owner has
    given permission for redistribution, which would render both issues nugatory.

--
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA http://oakroadsystems.com/ "What in
    heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?" "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters." "The
    waters? What waters? We're in the desert." "I was misinformed."

"Legion" <[email protected] co.uk> wrote in message
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> "Arun Hallan" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > How'd u find the papers?[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > P1 was hard, P3 was easy! (thank god)[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> P1 was well gay! I got a U. that one with the 2x^(3/2) bull **** pissed me off a lot, the first[/q1]
    [q1]> question was gay aswell. I should of done more[/q1]
    revision
    [q1]> and gone to the lessons really![/q1]

Should have..

NC

Nick Chorley <[email protected] k> wrote in uk.education.maths:
    [q1]>For the second question, where it had a picture of a sector (made of an equilateral triangle height[/q1]
    [q1]>3 cm and a segment), you were asked to find the length of the radius in surd form. I don't know if[/q1]
    [q1]>my way was right:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I took half the equilateral triangle so I had one right angled triangle with length AB as the[/q1]
    [q1]>hypotenuse . The angle between the hyp and adj sides was 30 degrees.. the adjacent side being 3 cm.[/q1]
    [q1]>Therefore:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>cos 30 = 3/AB[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>root 3/2 = 3/AB[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>AB = 3/(root 3/2) or 6/root 3[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Would I get marks for this??[/q1]

You would from me. Your analysis seems quite correct.

Is it UK practice to rationalize the denominator? If so, you probably should have gone on to write
    [6 / sqrt(3)] * [sqrt(3) / sqrt(3)] [6 sqrt(3)] / [sqrt(3) * sqrt(3)] 6 sqrt(3) / 3 2
    sqrt(3)

--
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA http://oakroadsystems.com/ "What in
    heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?" "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters." "The
    waters? What waters? We're in the desert." "I was misinformed."

[q1]> For the second question, where it had a picture of a sector (made of an equilateral triangle[/q1]
    [q1]> height 3 cm and a segment), you were asked to find the length of the radius in surd form. I don't[/q1]
    [q1]> know if my way was right:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I took half the equilateral triangle so I had one right angled triangle with length AB as the[/q1]
    [q1]> hypotenuse . The angle between the hyp and adj sides was 30 degrees.. the adjacent side being 3[/q1]
    [q1]> cm. Therefore:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> cos 30 = 3/AB[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> root 3/2 = 3/AB[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> AB = 3/(root 3/2) or 6/root 3[/q1]

Is this a genuine A-level question? It seems ridiculously easy (apologies to anyone who failed to
    solve it). Your solution is indeed correct, but perhaps you might have written it as 2sqrt(3)
    instead. Would someone pose one of the questions that they found difficult, since all that has
    appeared so far is complaionts about how hard the papers were?!

Mark W

p.s. I asked y9 set 1 (13-14yrs) to work out the proportion of the area of a circle taken up by a
    maximal interior equilateral triangle, and they managed it. Surely this is harder than the
    problem above?

Yeh thas totally right, you're supposed to presume that each angle is 60 degrees...

It's not that the P1 paper was hard actually, it was just that every answer seemed wrong, there was
    never a nice exact answer

has ne 1 got a site where i can find answers to past papers for decision maths (D1). NOVEMBER 2002 EXAM! plzzzzzz i need help... maaria x x x

ReputationRep:
    Why bring up a thread nearly a year old!?

Also, I didn't know uk.education.maths threads were mirrored on here, is that the case for all of them? How often do you update from that newsgroup?

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by d
    Would you like them mirrored here?
    I don't know, I think it could get a bit hectic with the amount of posts there would be as a result; there seems to be quite a high frequency as it is.

Have you ever thought of splitting the board, perhaps into subject areas, and maybe again for different qualification levels (GCSE, A-Level etc.). At the moment it can get a bit confusing with everything thrown in together on one board. Just a thought.

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by d
    Thanks Richard, splitting the forums up is definitely an option. I will be upgrading these forums in a couple of month's time after my exams and what not, and that's probably something that I may implement.
    I'll look forward to the upgrades!

Originally posted by d
    If we do reimplement usenet mirroring, then these would definitely listed into the respective subforum.
    Yeah, I think the usenet mirroring would be nice if everything's mirrored into the relevant forum. Would the mirroring be two-way, i.e. you read usenet here, but also all posts to the forums here would be mirrored to the relevant usenet group? On second thoughts, that would probably be frowned upon by users of the respective usenet group and considered as flooding so it probably wouldn't be such a good idea.

Regards,

OMG! Was the Edexcel P1 already taken!??!!? ARGH!!! OMG don't tell me I missed the exam!!. I thought it was on the 3rd of june! AHHH!!!

thats exactly what i thought.......

my P3 is on the 3rd June....

are you sure its EdExcel?!

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    OMG! Was the Edexcel P1 already taken!??!!? ARGH!!! OMG don't tell me I missed the exam!!. I thought it was on the 3rd of june! AHHH!!!
    No don't worry, this thread refers to last year's P1, and someone brought it up by replying to it.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.