Agency - Company Big Uh Oh . . . Watch

DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok, last week I did a week's worth of work for a company and they seemed pretty pleased with me. The manager for the company asked for my number so if any work came along, he could ring me direct instead of having to go through the agency. I didn't object to this as I found it alright. The company rung earlier asking me to come in for tomorrow and friday but i said no because I have revision to do, then the agency rung asking me if I could go back to work at the company thurs and fri, BUT i said that the company had already rung me!! The lady on the phone didn't seem very impressed and said to me ''did I give the company my number?'', i said ''yes'' and then she started saying that the company is very naughty for doing so as they arent meant to do that!

I personally cant see what the big fuss is about, but its obviously a big no no as the lady for the agency didn't seem very impressed.

Does anyone kno why she weren't impressed? why am I not allowed to give my home number out to a company who I enjoyed working for?
toffeepoppet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is because the company have a contract with that agency to supply staff and the agency receive commission for the hours you work. By asking for your number and not going through the agency they are saving money. The agency are annoyed because they introduced you to the company.
DancinBallerina
(Original post by toffeepoppet)
It is because the company have a contract with that agency to supply staff and the agency receive commission for the hours you work. By asking for your number and not going through the agency they are saving money. The agency are annoyed because they introduced you to the company.
Ahhhh okey dokey - thanks. Yea the agency were chargin the company £7 pr hour, but paying me £5.52 an hour.

Im even more annoyed with the agency as I had a phone call on Monday @ like 9am, I was still in bed and not really alert. The girl from the agency said that your timesheet is calculated wrong - I worked out I had done 25hrs and 15mins, but she said its calculated at 22hrs! That is 3hrs and 15mins short!? which works out at £17. 94.

Am I being thick, but can someone please calculate this (I just want to make sure im in the right for when they call tomorrow to sort it out before Friday - payday):

3.5hours(5 meanin 30mins)
7.75hrs (75 meaning 45mins)
7.5hrs
6.5hrs

All comes to a grand total of 25hrs and 25 (which is 15mins). . . . . .:cool: :cool:
toffeepoppet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You won't be paid for lunch so it will definitely be less than 25.25 but I'm not sure how they got 22 :s
DancinBallerina
You won't be paid for lunch so it will definitely be less than 25.25 but I'm not sure how they got 22 :s
I didn't have any lunch breaks as such - I often just went outside for some fresh air or I ate at my desk.

That is what has annoyed me - if its lunch deductions then its wrong - the company can vouch for me on that as I often only nipped out for a wee break or get some fresh air. Not once did I spend full half hour to an hour in the fresh air or on the toilet.

EDIT: On my timesheet that I had to fill out - it leaves space for lunch break - I left it blank as I didn't have a lunch break as such and even the girl who was my supervisor didnt write anything in the boxes.
toffeepoppet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah but they still take lunch off :s You have to take at least 20 minutes after working 6 hours and most agencies will say 30 mins. They take it whether you went or not.
DancinBallerina
Yeah but they still take lunch off :s You have to take at least 20 minutes after working 6 hours and most agencies will say 30 mins. They take it whether you went or not.
REALLY? Crafty buggers - see I wasn't made aware of that at all - All I was told is the job is 9am - 4.30pm.
If I had known I would of spent a lot longer on the flippin toilet! . . .
DancinBallerina
UPDATE: I just rung the agency and she said that by law i am entitled to 30mins break if i work 6hrs or more. The company who I worked for didn't make me aware of this , so all I had was wee breaks!?

Ah well suppose ya live and learn from your mistakes. . . .
DancinBallerina
UPDATE: Agency rung me again earlier to say that they have under paid me by an hour, so I get the full 25hrs 15mins - they owe me £5.52 lol . . .
jimn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The reason agencys dont like it is because they lose money. If you go to work via an agency, the company you work for pay the agency say £10 p/h for you, the agency pay you watever your rate is and trouser the rest.If the company approaches you and asks you to work direct for them it's called poaching and agencys dont like it. Personally i hate agencys, they are just rip off merchants and are the ruin of many industrys. You have done nothing wrong ! If it wasn't for you (and everyone else on the agencys payroll)the agency wouldn't make any money while sitting on their arses exploiting people. Most companys employ temps through agencys so they dont have to pay them holiday pay/ pension ect, and the workers have no rights. Dont beleive the truth !
DancinBallerina
(Original post by jimn)
The reason agencys dont like it is because they lose money. If you go to work via an agency, the company you work for pay the agency say £10 p/h for you, the agency pay you watever your rate is and trouser the rest.If the company approaches you and asks you to work direct for them it's called poaching and agencys dont like it. Personally i hate agencys, they are just rip off merchants and are the ruin of many industrys. You have done nothing wrong ! If it wasn't for you (and everyone else on the agencys payroll)the agency wouldn't make any money while sitting on their arses exploiting people. Most companys employ temps through agencys so they dont have to pay them holiday pay/ pension ect, and the workers have no rights. Dont beleive the truth !
Thanks for that.

Yea I was a tad miffed when the manager for the company told me last week, that they are forking out £7pr hr for me and im getting £5.52 an hr! I get more @ Asda even though I hate it!

It also was my first assignment and I didn't know what to expect - after hearing the views from others here and from friends, I think I might just do the odd days here and there for them as the money I got paid is pants tbh - I was taxed almost £30, leaves me with just over £100. Don't get me wrong - im very grateful for being given the opportunity to do some work, but I thought I might of been able to get abit more than that.

Although I gave the company my telephone number, completely unaware that im not suppose to, in case more work was to come in, how was I to guarantee that I would be getting a suitable wage, was my other query that sprung to mind, when I got a call from them asking me to come back for Thurs and Fri? I mean they could just completely exploit me and pay peanuts - seeing as the manager for the company is already taking short cuts and 'poaching me' by not going through the right channels? . . . .Hmmm maybe it was a blessing in disguise for me to not work there this week? further more i got revision to do anyway :ninja: . . .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.28%
No - but I will (74)
7.5%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (476)
48.23%

Watched Threads