moonjoon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I'm currently in year 12 and I'm planning to apply for medicine next year. I just wanted to ask how much of the medical course (generally across most universities ) would require students to do surgical practicals, because I'm don't think I would be very comfortable doing those.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by moonjoon)
Hi,

I'm currently in year 12 and I'm planning to apply for medicine next year. I just wanted to ask how much of the medical course (generally across most universities ) would require students to do surgical practicals, because I'm don't think I would be very comfortable doing those.
You will spend a significant amount of your time in medical school on various surgical placements - you will be graduating with a degree in surgery after all So you will learn about surgical conditions and presentations, but you won't be expected to know how to perform an operation. You may be required to assist at various points i.e. scrub in, hold instruments, provide a good view, etc. But no one will ask you to make incisions, suture, etc.

Similarly, as a junior doctor in the Foundation Programme you will not be responsible for performing operations. You will almost certainly take care of surgical patients on the wards and you may well have to assist in theatre at some point though.
Sheperd23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Democracy)
You will spend a significant amount of your time in medical school on various surgical placements - you will be graduating with a degree in surgery after all So you will learn about surgical conditions and presentations, but you won't be expected to know how to perform an operation. You may be required to assist at various points i.e. scrub in, hold instruments, provide a good view, etc. But no one will ask you to make incisions, suture, etc.

Similarly, as a junior doctor in the Foundation Programme you will not be responsible for performing operations. You will almost certainly take care of surgical patients on the wards and you may well have to assist in theatre at some point though.
being a surgeon is a lot of work isn't it... i can only imagine they must have some long lasting motivation
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sheperd23)
being a surgeon is a lot of work isn't it... i can only imagine they must have some long lasting motivation
I would say this is true of all medical specialties
moonjoon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Democracy)

ah thank you, that cleared up a lot of questions I had!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by moonjoon)
Hi,

Yes as above - both med school and junior doctor years will involve assisting in surgery and looking after surgical patients.

Also to add: other specialities will also have practical procedures. For example, lumbar puncture, internal jugular lines are both fairly common procedures performed by complete non-surgeons. Radiology do lots of pretty involved practical procedures. Although a lot of it (and surgery) is, frankly, less complex than it sounds!
Last edited by nexttime; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?