Work at a GP - What does this mean? Watch

Jinxy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Basically I called my local GP to ask if they offered work experience for students.
I was just told ' You have to write to the practice manager with your request'.

Is this basically saying the secretary doesn't know if they do work experience, or she's asking me to write to the manager to ask if he will allow me to do work experience?

Sorry if I sound stupid I just don't want to get a letter together to be told that they don't even want students.
ninety_nine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The latter - you have to write to the manager.

In my experience the people who've got work experience with a GP tend to know them through family or friends or its quite difficult to arrange. It's certainly not impossible though.
Jinxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ninety_nine)
The latter - you have to write to the manager.

In my experience the people who've got work experience with a GP tend to know them through family or friends or its quite difficult to arrange. It's certainly not impossible though.
thanks, i'm hoping to write a very well thought out letter to them so i can try and get a place!
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jinxy)
thanks, i'm hoping to write a very well thought out letter to them so i can try and get a place!
You should be fine since you've given yourself a few months before your actually applying. A lot of medics last year were frantically writing letters the day after results day - you're far better prepared
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If they say write to the practice manager, erm, write to the practice manager. You might not get it but the people who definitely won't get it are the ones who don't ask.
Jinxy
Rep:
?
You should be fine since you've given yourself a few months before your actually applying. A lot of medics last year were frantically writing letters the day after results day - you're far better prepared

I hope so! I have just over a year before I apply so do you think that's enough time for generally enough work exp and volunteering? are you doing med too ? or wanting too ?
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're applying for 2010 entry? So you're in year 11 now?

If that's the case then yes, definitely. Work experience needs only be a week or two, what you can get really. Medical schools understand how difficult it is get experience for longer due to regulations at hospitals etc. Your volunteer work e.g. at a hospice, should be for much longer.
Jinxy
Rep:
?
You're applying for 2010 entry? So you're in year 11 now?

If that's the case then yes, definitely. Work experience needs only be a week or two, what you can get really. Medical schools understand how difficult it is get experience for longer due to regulations at hospitals etc. Your volunteer work e.g. at a hospice, should be for much longer.
Hah, yeh going into yr12 in september.
Thank you for the helpful posts I tried the hospices near me [all of which are about an hour and a half by train away] But it's too far so i'm looking for other options now.
LearningMath
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmm... what exactly would work experience with a GP involve? There is the privacy issue, i wouldnt have thought a GP, let alone the patient would be happy you sitting in, hmmm. My dads a GP and i havnt heard of anyone at his surgery taking on work experience people. Having said that i am aware that the Met Office and several other high security organizations run work experience weeks/months. You have to sign the official secrets act, and several other security forms before working there... Perhaps there will be something similar for you, and then the GP may ask the patient if they mind before allowing you to watch afew times. I'd be interested to know how it works.
Jinxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by LearningMath)
Hmmm... what exactly would work experience with a GP involve? There is the privacy issue, i wouldnt have thought a GP, let alone the patient would be happy you sitting in, hmmm. My dads a GP and i havnt heard of anyone at his surgery taking on work experience people. Having said that i am aware that the Met Office and several other high security organizations run work experience weeks/months. You have to sign the official secrets act, and several other security forms before working there... Perhaps there will be something similar for you, and then the GP may ask the patient if they mind before allowing you to watch afew times. I'd be interested to know how it works.

okay, that's good to know well baring in mind i did use the words 'work experience' as apposed to shadowing so they could well have taken that as me asking for office work? i actually hope not, come to think of it =\ I was reluctant to ask to shadow as i have no exp in a care setting..hmmm
LearningMath
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jinxy)
okay, that's good to know well baring in mind i did use the words 'work experience' as apposed to shadowing so they could well have taken that as me asking for office work? i actually hope not, come to think of it =\ I was reluctant to ask to shadow as i have no exp in a care setting..hmmm
Yeah, but again most of the office work either directly involves, or is around highly confidential patient details, If they do set you really mundane tasks i suppose only your interest will suffer. You've still achieved a level of work experience other potential medics may not have
Jinxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by LearningMath)
Yeah, but again most of the office work either directly involves, or is around highly confidential patient details, If they do set you really mundane tasks i suppose only your interest will suffer. You've still achieved a level of work experience other potential medics may not have
thank you :hugs:
that reassures me and tbh i'm happy to do any work exp at the rate I'm going it seems so hard to find !
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jinxy)
Hah, yeh going into yr12 in september.
Thank you for the helpful posts I tried the hospices near me [all of which are about an hour and a half by train away] But it's too far so i'm looking for other options now.
You're welcome :rolleyes:

Yeah, a nursing home or something would be just as good.
isi333
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^It's not necessarily all filing; I was allowed to sit in on all my GP's consultations, which was fantastic and extremely valuable.
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by isi333)
^It's not necessarily all filing; I was allowed to sit in on all my GP's consultations, which was fantastic and extremely valuable.
Ditto, although not all, only a few. Some patients weren't too happy about me sitting in, which is fair enough
isi333
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by piece_by_piece)
Ditto, although not all, only a few. Some patients weren't too happy about me sitting in, which is fair enough
Yes, although I was bowled over by the number that were prepared to let me sit and listen to very emotional or personal consultations. People are generally really kind. My GP anticipated one or two appointments where she guessed (from previous appointments) that the patient would get quite upset and wouldn't want me there, so I sat out for these ones. So I never actually had the experience of a patient refusing to let me sit in.
Jinxy
Rep:
?

Oh wow so you actually got to sit in aswell, lucky!

Can I ask, what sorts of things did you include in your letter when applying? I need to do mine soon but i'm not sure about it, I want to keep it short and sweet but I really need this opportunity!
billet-doux
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jinxy)
Oh wow so you actually got to sit in aswell, lucky!

Can I ask, what sorts of things did you include in your letter when applying? I need to do mine soon but i'm not sure about it, I want to keep it short and sweet but I really need this opportunity!
I split my letter up into three paragraphs. The first was very simple. I included my name; what school I attend; the fact that I'm interested in pursuing Medicine and have been curious about the career for a long time. The second paragraph included reasons why I want to pursue Medicine and why I believe the work experience would be helpful. ie. to show the pros and cons of Medicine. I also included my qualities which I believe would help me as a doctor, for instance my love for both science and people and the fact that I'm a calm and patient person. In the last paragraph I told them when I would be available and basically thanked them for taking the time to read the letter.
Hope this helps
Good luck! xx
Jinxy
Rep:
?
I split my letter up into three paragraphs. The first was very simple. I included my name; what school I attend; the fact that I'm interested in pursuing Medicine and have been curious about the career for a long time. The second paragraph included reasons why I want to pursue Medicine and why I believe the work experience would be helpful. ie. to show the pros and cons of Medicine. I also included my qualities which I believe would help me as a doctor, for instance my love for both science and people and the fact that I'm a calm and patient person. In the last paragraph I told them when I would be available and basically thanked them for taking the time to read the letter.
Hope this helps
Good luck! xx
thank you yeah that is really helpful oo by the way, did you have to go for an interview?
billet-doux
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jinxy)
thank you yeah that is really helpful oo by the way, did you have to go for an interview?
You're welcome (and thank you for the rep)
Nope, I didn't have to go for an interview. I simply received a letter in which the practice manager stated what I should wear when I go and the times I should expect to work each day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.86%
No - but I will (101)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (632)
47.66%

Watched Threads