Asking whether you have passed? Watch

tiddlypom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok so i have my grade 8 piano exam tomorrow and the likelihood is that i will unfortunately fail

I haven't failed before so i was wondering if you do will they tell you straight away? Also, is it completely out of line to ask whether or not you have passed because i already have to wait for exam results so i would really like one less thing to worry about?! Has anybody asked in the passed and have they just said...i can't tell you.

Thank you!
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They don't tell you and I asked the guy and he just smiled (And I failed anyway!)
I have no idea why they won't tell you there and then, it's so frustrating!

Good luck though, *sighs* I would love to be grade 8 ANYTHING.
OiaB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i remember when my ex did her grade 8 flute - they told her nothing which was rather harsh. she was worrying like anything.

it sucks :/
bammeh
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, as far as I know they don't tell. Congrats on making it that far, I'm only working on level 4 but I only started a year and a half ago so at least I'm making progress.
tiddlypom
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks everyone Although it's still annoying they don't tell you!
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, it's a sort of buffer. I think the comments and mark get reviewed before they're sent out (which is why it takes so bleeding long). Also it's to stop people being told that they've failed face to face.

Which isn't nice for examiner or candidate.
Roobagnall
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had a great examiner.
Id done no pracitce for my grade 7 classical guitar untill about 1 month before the exam and it was awful.
But when i got in i did my best to make a good impression and act REALLY nervious and then after id finished playing just shook my head and he asked me..
"How do you feel that went?"
and after a sympathetic little chat he said, you could play it better than that couldnt you.. obviously not now, but im shure you could.
i got my distinction.. luckily
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Roobagnall)
I had a great examiner.
Id done no pracitce for my grade 7 classical guitar untill about 1 month before the exam and it was awful.
But when i got in i did my best to make a good impression and act REALLY nervious and then after id finished playing just shook my head and he asked me..
"How do you feel that went?"
and after a sympathetic little chat he said, you could play it better than that couldnt you.. obviously not now, but im shure you could.
i got my distinction.. luckily
I did the same with not practicing until about 2 weeks before as I was bored stiff of my pieces and had so much else on, but without the nice examiner involved!

Good Luck OP
I'm sure you'll be fine, just remember to breath, and it'll all be over in 45 mins!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They won't tell you outright and I don't think they would if you asked. Hope it went alright
Emily-STFC
Report 10 years ago
I took my Jazz Grade 6 with Trinity, I got the result in three days. Was so much better than having to wait ages with ABRSM. I had to switch to Trinity because I wanted to switch to Jazz Flute, I wanted to go above Grade 5, which ABRSM don't do.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Emily-STFC)
I took my Jazz Grade 6 with Trinity, I got the result in three days. Was so much better than having to wait ages with ABRSM. I had to switch to Trinity because I wanted to switch to Jazz Flute, I wanted to go above Grade 5, which ABRSM don't do.
same here...i'm glad that trinity offers jazz assessments at the higher grades...ive done grade 5 jazz sax with the AB a few years back and now want to take grade 8 jazz sax with trinity...i wish i'd get round to doing it because i keep putting it of grr

to relate to the OP, i never ask how i've done in the exam room because i feel that even if i had done well, it would feel like a bulshy question to ask when the examiner is still tidying the notes and marks up (thye dont always give them straigh away...you know when you're in the waiting room and sometimes you're told to wait while the examiner writes some notes...well some examiner write the official score they want to give the candidate after the candidate has left the room). thus i fear that personally, asking such a question, could make the examiner feel rushed/offended and could perhaps make them see you in a less positive light...may sound paranoid but that's just my opinion

good luck with it, hope it goes ok for you
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it's a good idea: it shows a lack of confidence.
Roobagnall
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Comp_Genius)
I don't think it's a good idea: it shows a lack of confidence.
But technicaly it wouldnt matter because they cant change your grade once youve stopped the exam, so although it wouldnt be great, it wouldnt kill you
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Roobagnall)
But technicaly it wouldnt matter because they cant change your grade once youve stopped the exam, so although it wouldnt be great, it wouldnt kill you
I suppose theoretically: but you don't know what they write after you left the room...
Roobagnall
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well you do because you see the sheet with the marks/notes on them so you would be able to tell...
Meliae
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, when I did my exam on Monday, my friend had the last exam that day (but that 'session' didn't finish until today) and came out convinced she'd failed. The exam co-ordinator(/music teacher) told her everyone had passed, though how she knew that or if she really did, I don't know. Still, it's worth asking outside the exam room (though not for the OP seeing as this thread was posted a week ago...)

For the record, she ended up with a high merit, a few marks off distinction.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nice one, i'd love someone to come out and tell me at the very least i havent failed after an exam lol...currently waiting for grade 7 popular music theory results from the LCM...tis nail biting grr lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads