Isabelpayne200
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I didn’t analyse the extract in my English lit essay (on macbeth) and i was aiming for high marks...will this effect my grade??
studentdoing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
if it said in the question to also include/refer to the extract, then it possibly will. how important is this essay ?
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
Not that important, just an assessment but I wanted to do well
studentdoing
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
are you in year 11 / doing gcses?
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
(Original post by studentdoing)
are you in year 11 / doing gcses?
Yeah
studentdoing
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh okay, well I just did my gcse’s this summer and honestly, don’t stress too much about any in-class essays that you do. Not writing about the extract might not even lower your mark that much depending on what else you put, and I understand that you want to get good grades but looking back on any of the essays that I did in class they literally did not matter. Throughout Year 11 I would get marks between 19-23 / 30 in essays I did on Macbeth and got a 7 in my Year 11 mocks, but then 2 days before my Macbeth english lit GCSE I discovered Mr Salles on YouTube (an absolute GCSE English Lit legend) and memorised some key sentences from Sparknotes (another legendary website) and ended up getting a 9 in English Lit. So yeah, moral of the story, please don’t worry about any essays you do in class and maybe not getting marks that you’d hope to get. They seem so insignificant when I look back on them now, and the main thing is that if you DO end up getting a make you’re unhappy with, it’s not at all because you’re bad at English Lit, but it’s because maybe you missed out covering part of the question. And yeah, remember for Macbeth gcse, please please please watch Mr Salles, look on Sparknotes and get the CGP guide, it’s literally all you need. If you have any questions about GCSEs at all, feel free to ask
Gone245
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh okay, well I just did my gcse’s this summer and honestly, don’t stress too much about any in-class essays that you do. Not writing about the extract might not even lower your mark that much depending on what else you put, and I understand that you want to get good grades but looking back on any of the essays that I did in class they literally did not matter. Throughout Year 11 I would get marks between 19-23 / 30 in essays I did on Macbeth and got a 7 in my Year 11 mocks, but then 2 days before my Macbeth english lit GCSE I discovered Mr Salles on YouTube (an absolute GCSE English Lit legend) and memorised some key sentences from Sparknotes (another legendary website) and ended up getting a 9 in English Lit. So yeah, moral of the story, please don’t worry about any essays you do in class and maybe not getting marks that you’d hope to get. They seem so insignificant when I look back on them now, and the main thing is that if you DO end up getting a make you’re unhappy with, it’s not at all because you’re bad at English Lit, but it’s because maybe you missed out covering part of the question. And yeah, remember for Macbeth gcse, please please please watch Mr Salles, look on Sparknotes and get the CGP guide, it’s literally all you need. If you have any questions about GCSEs at all, feel free to ask
Yes watch mr salles- he helped me get a 9 and a 7
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
Thank you, I really needed to hear this!!!! I watch mr salles “Aaaannndd heeellloooo” 🙄😂 I’ll take your advice about sparks notes too, and the poetry assessment will add up to a total with Macbeth so that’s lucky. I will probs have loads of questions leading up to mocks so if you see my username appear in your private messages, that will be me stressing😔 how’d you remember what mr salles was saying? And also how did you revise poetry (seen poetry btw, I’m doing love and relationships)?
For Jekyll and Hyde (or 19th century novel if u didn’t do that one) then how can I understand the book? We’ve not started it but just want a head start.
studentdoing
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Gone245)
Yes watch mr salles- he helped me get a 9 and a 7
That man is actually a saviour omg
studentdoing
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What I basically did was get some sheets of A4 paper and make a mind map type thing for each theme in Macbeth. They were so messy and rushed as I started making these the evening before the exam, but the fact that I didn’t spend ages worrying about their appearance actually really helped me make and revise from them 😂. For each theme, I’d make sure I had about 4 or 5 solid points for each one, so if that theme came up I would have 4-5 paragraphs to write. For each point i’d just briefly write any cool sophisticated-sounding words that he said, and then loads of random quotes that were like 1 or 2 words long. The a few days before the exam I also made a big Macbeth Quizlet, which you might find useful, although I apologise if any of the flash cards a worded a bit weird as I was a lil bit stressed at the time 😂 I literally have soooo many Quizlets on my account though, so if you’re doing the same exam boards as I did for any other subjects, they might be helpful!
studentdoing
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For seen poetry, I did War & Conflict, but tbh the way I revised it was a bit risky 😂 I watch Mr Salles prediction video and then picked about 6 poems to try and learn, as I didn’t have much time (2 nights before 😌) Again, I made scruffy mind maps that just included the main themes, and then some abstract points I could make. In the corner of each mind map, I’d jot down other poems I could compare it to. I used Mr Salles videos for this and also Genius.com, which had some really sophisticated and complex analysis’ for literally every single WORD of the poems. The poems that I picked to learn were ones that I felt I could compare to many of the other poems, and they were also mostly poems that hadn’t come up in the previous exams. Thankfully, one of the poems I had revised came up in the exam, but honestly I’d recommend that you learn every poem in depth, because I literally got about 4 hours sleep the night before the exam as I was so worried a poem I hadn’t revised would come up!
studentdoing
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
And then about Jekyll & Hyde, I also did that book! It’s actually such a good book for GCSEs as there is loads to write about. Again, I’d definitely recommend Mr Salles and also Sparknotes was very useful. In fact, I ended up memorising a small paragraph from Sparknotes about the reactions of other characters towards Hyde, and I incorporated a few sentences from it into my GCSE essay 😂 I have the paragraph on my Jekyll and Hyde Quizlet lol. The cgp guide was also soo useful and if you would like to get ahead and understand the book, then definitely use the cgp guide
studentdoing
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Please feel free to message me about anything related to GCSEs if you need to, the subjects I did were Biology, Chemistry & Physics (Edexcel), Maths (Edexcel), English lit & lang (AQA, and the other book I did that I haven’t mentioned yet was An Inspector Calls), French and Spanish (AQA) Art (AQA) and then Music (OCR), so if you are taking any of those other subjects feel free to ask about them too
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
What I basically did was get some sheets of A4 paper and make a mind map type thing for each theme in Macbeth. They were so messy and rushed as I started making these the evening before the exam, but the fact that I didn’t spend ages worrying about their appearance actually really helped me make and revise from them 😂. For each theme, I’d make sure I had about 4 or 5 solid points for each one, so if that theme came up I would have 4-5 paragraphs to write. For each point i’d just briefly write any cool sophisticated-sounding words that he said, and then loads of random quotes that were like 1 or 2 words long. The a few days before the exam I also made a big Macbeth Quizlet, which you might find useful, although I apologise if any of the flash cards a worded a bit weird as I was a lil bit stressed at the time 😂 I literally have soooo many Quizlets on my account though, so if you’re doing the same exam boards as I did for any other subjects, they might be helpful!
Thank you for the advice! What’s your quizlet name?
studentdoing
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Isabelpayne200)
Thank you for the advice! What’s your quizlet name?
saltybarcode
Jsjsgga09
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I didn’t analyse the extract in my English lit essay (on macbeth) and i was aiming for high marks...will this effect my grade??
Can you please tell me what was the question about?
Jsjsgga09
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Please feel free to message me about anything related to GCSEs if you need to, the subjects I did were Biology, Chemistry & Physics (Edexcel), Maths (Edexcel), English lit & lang (AQA, and the other book I did that I haven’t mentioned yet was An Inspector Calls), French and Spanish (AQA) Art (AQA) and then Music (OCR), so if you are taking any of those other subjects feel free to ask about them too
Can you please tell what question in english lit paper 1 came up for macbeth or jekyll nd hyde?
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jsjsgga09)
Can you please tell me what was the question about?
How Shakespeare presents guilt in ‘macbeth’
Jsjsgga09
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How Shakespeare presents guilt in ‘macbeth’
thx nd wat abt jekyll nd hydeee
Last edited by Jsjsgga09; 3 months ago
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
Haven’t started Jekyll and Hyde
Last edited by Isabelpayne200; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (91)
50%
No (91)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed