The Student Room Group

[Official] Gonville and Caius College Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DevAsn
crap, I'm international for economics, still no interview

Did you apply for interview in the UK or elsewhere? Usually, applicants who will be interviewed elsewhere will receive early emails
Reply 21
Original post by boneappletea
Did you apply for interview in the UK or elsewhere? Usually, applicants who will be interviewed elsewhere will receive early emails

I applied for an interview in the US...Should I assume rejection?
Original post by DevAsn
I applied for an interview in the US...Should I assume rejection?

I don't think you should! It's different for different subjects and regions so assuming things will not help but burden yourself
Hey! I'm Irish so some of these answers will be slightly different.

1) What Leaving Certificate Subjects are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
I am doing Maths, Applied Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, Technical Drawing.
Hoping for 6 H1 grades, but might end up with a H2 in English. (For reference, unis see 2 H1s as equivalent to an A*)

2) What subject have you applied for at Cambridge?
I've applied for Maths

3) What Junior Certificate grades did you obtain?
Pretty average ones, but I have extenuating circumstances

3) Why Cambridge?
One of the best unis for Maths in the world, and it's pretty nice.

5) Why Gonville and Caius college?
I went to it, I liked it, didn't overthink it too much.

6) What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?
Lots of math olympiad stuff (doing BMO1 in two weeks, which only the best 20 irish students do), I have a load of international science awards, reading textbooks and practicing STEP and Olympiad questions.
My Caius interview invite came through on Thursday. I'm a home student for Phys NatSci.
Original post by Technik23
My Caius interview invite came through on Thursday. I'm a home student for Phys NatSci.

Did the email come from the address: [email protected] (from Miss Amie Eagling)? I received mine from this address but the email had a bit weird language. So I just wanna make sure it isn't spam. I'm an international applicant though. Also, did they ask you to specify your preference for the subject specific interview (physics or chemistry for physical nat sci) by the 18th November deadline?
Original post by ifahad64
Did the email come from the address: [email protected] (from Miss Amie Eagling)? I received mine from this address but the email had a bit weird language. So I just wanna make sure it isn't spam. I'm an international applicant though. Also, did they ask you to specify your preference for the subject specific interview (physics or chemistry for physical nat sci) by the 18th November deadline?

It sounds like we had the same email word for word.
18th November deadline? Oh no, I still haven't got an interview for Nat Sci, does this mean I won't get one and be rejected tomorrow?
I hope not
What A-Levels are you doing?

Original post by KatieMyles
18th November deadline? Oh no, I still haven't got an interview for Nat Sci, does this mean I won't get one and be rejected tomorrow?
Original post by adamisntdead
What A-Levels are you doing?

Since I'm in Scotland we don't do A-Levels, but I'm taking advanced higher mathematics and physics (along with music since I needed 3 and we don't do further maths here) and higher (AS-Level) chemistry.
Original post by KatieMyles

No! There is generally not a cutoff deadline and if there was it would be the very end of November. Many people I know (including me) have not had invites/rejections yet so be patient and don't stress too much.
has anyone applied to bio natsci and had an invite yet?
Did anyone else apply for maths?
Original post by legallyroyal63
No! There is generally not a cutoff deadline and if there was it would be the very end of November. Many people I know (including me) have not had invites/rejections yet so be patient and don't stress too much.

Thank you! This made me feel less stressed and worried :^)
Original post by Technik23
It sounds like we had the same email word for word.

What a relief! Thank you very much for confirming!
Hey! Has anyone applied for Law at Gonville and receive anything about interviews yet? :0 ((sorry if I accidentally replied to a random conversation idk how to use student room lol))
Original post by thomasbdog
Hey! Has anyone applied for Law at Gonville and receive anything about interviews yet? :0 ((sorry if I accidentally replied to a random conversation idk how to use student room lol))

No not yet :frown:
does anyone know what is meant by a “general scientific interview” from caius? it says the first nat sci interview will be that but i’m not sure what that means
Original post by thomasbdog

not yet! hopefully sometime between this week and next

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending