username4998622
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically, I'm 15 ( I turn 16 next year) and I am currently an AS student. My career choice (currently) is medicine/biomedicine. I know that medical unis won't accept students who are under 18. I have no interest in taking a gap year because I think that's an utter waste of time for me. It costs too much money if i have to take a gap year. Is there a way to get into medical schools even if you are unde 18?
Last edited by username4998622; 4 weeks ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tyjang23)
Basically, I'm 15 ( I turn 16 next year) and I am currently an AS student. My career choice (currently) is medicine/biomedicine. I know that medical unis won't accept students who are under 18. I have no interest in taking a gap year because I think that's an utter waste of time for me. It costs too much money if i have to take a gap year. Is there a way to get into medical schools even if you are unde 18?
Literally the first result when I googled "medical school age requirements":

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/

As you can see, there are medical schools which accept 17 year olds, but you will need to check carefully.

Out of interest, why would a gap year cost money?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Doogie Howser did it. Liking your reasoning on gap years.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It costs too much money if i have to take a gap year.
?

People used to take a gap year so they could earn some money!
username4998622
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Literally the first result when I googled "medical school age requirements":

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/

As you can see, there are medical schools which accept 17 year olds, but you will need to check carefully.

Out of interest, why would a gap year cost money?
well, my friends told me that gap year cost more money than actually going to universities. It will take longer to actually get my degree so I would able to work in a hospital a year later. And then I have to do different programs during my gap year to fill up my time. Maybe they were wrong about it.

The reason why I asked this question is that one of my friends told me that if I take the Mensa exam (the IQ test thingy) and get a really high score (If I can), I MIGHT be able to enter even though I am younger than the actual age requirement. Is that true?
A_J_B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
well, my friends told me that gap year cost more money than actually going to universities. It will take longer to actually get my degree so I would able to work in a hospital a year later. And then I have to do different programs during my gap year to fill up my time. Maybe they were wrong about it.

The reason why I asked this question is that one of my friends told me that if I take the Mensa exam (the IQ test thingy) and get a really high score (If I can), I MIGHT be able to enter even though I am younger than the actual age requirement. Is that true?
1 year is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.
When I applied last year, I was in the same situation as you (15when starting AS, 16 when giving interviews) . I applied to Nottingham, BSMS, Manchester, Liverpool.
Some med schools like Bristol are really strict about this as you do clinical placements from early on, and since you won't be 18 nobody can hold you responsible for breach of confidentiality, etc.....
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago

Your friends are impressive.. How old and experienced are your friends? Are they still at school?
Tonic Water
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

How would a gap year cost more money if you're living at home and working? Don't listen to what your friends say, use your common sense. A gap year is what you make of it.

Also, one year is nothing considering that you're only 15/16, will probably retire when you're 70 and could very well live a few more decades after that.
Tonic Water
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Your friends are impressive.. How old and experienced are your friends? Are they still at school?
I don't think these friends will be getting into MENSA anytime soon.
m00nl1ght
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m in the same boat as you as an international student. I won’t be 18 until December next year.
Last edited by m00nl1ght; 4 weeks ago
m00nl1ght
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A_J_B)
1 year is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.
When I applied last year, I was in the same situation as you (15when starting AS, 16 when giving interviews) . I applied to Nottingham, BSMS, Manchester, Liverpool.
Some med schools like Bristol are really strict about this as you do clinical placements from early on, and since you won't be 18 nobody can hold you responsible for breach of confidentiality, etc.....
Did you get into any of your choices despite being 16?
Laurence863
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Come on man, you want to study medicine, you need to be sharper than this, your friends are having you on.

In your gap year, you should get a either full time or part time job with lots of hours, continue studies by picking up another subject or doing things like UKMT of UKCAT (whatever its called for medicine) and pick up an extra curricular, e.g volunteering for saint Johns on a weekend. Getting a decent hobby wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I don't think that the mensa exam has any relevance to medicine whatsoever, I have no idea why this would be the case but maybe I'm wrong.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Don't see what MENSA would have to do with it. If they have age requirements, they have age requirements.

Why don't you try volunteering at a nursing home, or in a hospital, during your gap year. This will give you an indication of what working in a healthcare setting might entail. You could also join St John Ambulance to learn first aid.
m00nl1ght
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m an international student & won’t be turning 18 until December next year but I’m applying for 2020 entry at Imperial, UCL, KCL & Manchester for medicine. Is there any hope or will I have to be placed as deferred entry if the universities accept me?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How are you only 15/16 in year 12? I was 15/16 in year 11. Have you skipped a year?
Tonic Water
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by m00nl1ght)
I’m an international student & won’t be turning 18 until December next year but I’m applying for 2020 entry at Imperial, UCL, KCL & Manchester for medicine. Is there any hope or will I have to be placed as deferred entry if the universities accept me?
Well what do they say their age requirements are?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Many medical schools do not accept you onto their programme until 18 for practical reasons. For instance at Oxford, as Democracy's link indicates, the clinical contact starts in the first term (GP surgery) therefore you have to have turned 18 by 1st November.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Come on dude. You're trying to argue that you are mature enough to go to med school despite your age, and you post this ****. Think for yourself!

(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Many medical schools do not accept you onto their programme until 18 for practical reasons. For instance at Oxford, as Democracy's link indicates, the clinical contact starts in the first term (GP surgery) therefore you have to have turned 18 by 1st November.
Is that a practical reason? Or is that an arbitrarily decided, entirely random reason?

Its the indemnity insurance companies that decide 18 is the magic age, I believe. It annoys me that there are a bunch of men (no doubt) sitting in a plush office who said 'well, what shall be our mark of maturity. Will it be an intense and rigorous interview system and evidence of years of outstanding academic performance, combined with the responsibility of now taking on a lifelong profession? Or shall we make it that one day you aren't mature because your 17 and the next day you are mature because you're now 18? Hmm let us think...' :mad:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Come on dude. You're trying to argue that you are mature enough to go to med school despite your age, and you post this ****. Think for yourself!

Is that a practical reason? Or is that an arbitrarily decided, entirely random reason?

Its the indemnity insurance companies that decide 18 is the magic age, I believe. It annoys me that there are a bunch of men (no doubt) sitting in a plush office who said 'well, what shall be our mark of maturity. Will it be an intense and rigorous interview system and evidence of years of outstanding academic performance, combined with the responsibility of now taking on a lifelong profession? Or shall we make it that one day you aren't mature because your 17 and the next day you are mature because you're now 18? Hmm let us think...' :mad:
I don't know. It's Oxford's official statement. You are probably right.

We knew a first responder who offered to take my son along to observe, but the authorities refused until age 18, I think because he may have been upset at some of the things he could have seen. However just a few months later, that would have been ok.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Does your friend think you're going to be taking one of those Instagram world tour type of gap years? Because you know that's not what a gap year has to be right?

University is £9250 per year and that's just the tuition fees - we haven't even got into living costs, travel, books, etc. You could use your gap year to do some part time or full time work (i.e. make some money). Even if you sat around at home all day in your pyjamas and spent your money on normal things you'd still not be spending anything close to what you would be if you moved out.

Ideally as a medical school applicant you should do something relevant on your gap year i.e. healthcare volunteering, medical shadowing etc. Once again, this doesn't have to be expensive.

The bit about Mensa: I properly guffawed at that. Say thanks to your friend for me :toofunny:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (53)
21.03%
Unconditional if firmed (20)
7.94%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.79%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (6)
2.38%
No unconditional offers (171)
67.86%

Watched Threads