The Student Room Group

Medical school- resits

Do medical schools such as Edinburgh, London medical schools, Leeds etc accept a level resits for medicine? I got 7A*s, 3As in my GCSEs but during the run up to and during my a level exams themselves I had what may be classed as mitigating circumstances (a family bereavement) and hence under achieved. I am planning on resitting my a level exams this year and then applying through UCAS to do medicine next year with my new set of grades. Online it says unis such as KCL, Bristol, Edinburgh accept resits only if the candidate has extenuating circumstances, is it at the discretion of the particular uni whether or not they class your circumstance as mitigating and whether they are willing to consider your application? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemmathsbio
Do medical schools such as Edinburgh, London medical schools, Leeds etc accept a level resits for medicine? I got 7A*s, 3As in my GCSEs but during the run up to and during my a level exams themselves I had what may be classed as mitigating circumstances (a family bereavement) and hence under achieved. I am planning on resitting my a level exams this year and then applying through UCAS to do medicine next year with my new set of grades. Online it says unis such as KCL, Bristol, Edinburgh accept resits only if the candidate has extenuating circumstances, is it at the discretion of the particular uni whether or not they class your circumstance as mitigating and whether they are willing to consider your application? Thanks

Queen Mary does not accept resits unless it comes under the Equality Act (2010) from what I know of. However, I think King's and Leeds accept resits. Nowadays, more medical schools accept resits than they used to, but the majority require extenuating/ mitigating circumstances. It may also depend on what you got for your first sitting. Some of them expect a minimum pass of BBB/ ABB (particularly London universities like UCL and Imperial), so you need to email universities individually and ask.
Reply 2
Do medical schools such as Edinburgh, London medical schools, Leeds etc accept a level resits for medicine? I got 7A*s, 3As in my GCSEs but during the run up to and during my a level exams themselveshey, I had what may be classed as mitigating circumstances (a family bereavement) and hence under achieved. I am planning on resitting my a level exams this year and then applying through UCAS to do medicine next year with my new set of grades. Online it says unis such as KCL, Bristol, Edinburgh accept resits only if the candidate has extenuating circumstances, is it at the discretion of the particular uni whether or not they class your circumstance as mitigating and whether they are willing to consider your application? Thanks

I think so. Every uni has their own policy regarding resits and most of the ones I've seen have said that migitating circumstances are considered so i'm sure that your application will be considered. I also applied to study med but didn't get the grades. I'm resitting the same a levels as you - what exam boards are u doing?
Oh right okay thank you. I do AQA chemistry and biology and Edexcel Maths, what about you? Where have you applied to?
That is helpful, thank you :smile:
Original post by Ariaa_01
I think so. Every uni has their own policy regarding resits and most of the ones I've seen have said that migitating circumstances are considered so i'm sure that your application will be considered. I also applied to study med but didn't get the grades. I'm resitting the same a levels as you - what exam boards are u doing?

Oh right okay thank you. I do AQA chemistry and biology and Edexcel Maths, what about you? Where have you applied to?
Reply 6

did ocr for sciences and edexcel maths (shamboliccc) and i'm not applying for med this yr because i need to resit and see what i get
did ocr for sciences and edexcel maths (shamboliccc) and i'm not applying for med this yr because i need to resit and see what i get

If you get atleast 3As will you apply to do med next year?

What A level grades did you get ?
Original post by Banshee123
What A level grades did you get ?

BBC unfortunately, I was predicted two grades higher for each subject (A*A*A), hence why I am hoping to apply next year once I have resat and hopefully improved my grades up to what I know I’m capable of
Reply 10
BBC unfortunately, I was predicted two grades higher for each subject (A*A*A), hence why I am hoping to apply next year once I have resat and hopefully improved my grades up to what I know I’m capable of

Currently, Edinburgh, Leeds. Barts, SGUL, Imperial and UCL do not accept resits and Kings is the only London med school that does, though there are plenty of others who will.
Your chances are hampered somewhat by the fact that many of those who are happy about resits have minimum grades required at a first sitting. As things currently stand, the only ones that would accept BBC are Anglia Ruskin, Bristol, 
Exeter, 
Sheffield, 
Southampton
, Sunderland (but must resit all 3), Kings, Edge Hill and Newcastle (although they would expect resits to achieve an A* in any resat subject - so A*A*A* in your case)

Extenuating circumstances complicate things as different unis would consider different circumstances warrant allowances being made for this and although all med schools accept underachievement due to ex circs, as you say, this is entirely at their discretion and most of them want to agree these circumstances before you apply, so want you to contact them (and often complete a particular form) in advance of your application so they can consider the situation and advise whether they would consider things
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Currently, Edinburgh, Leeds. Barts, SGUL, Imperial and UCL do not accept resits and Kings is the only London med school that does, though there are plenty of others who will.
Your chances are hampered somewhat by the fact that many of those who are happy about resits have minimum grades required at a first sitting. As things currently stand, the only ones that would accept BBC are Anglia Ruskin, Bristol, 
Exeter, 
Sheffield, 
Southampton
, Sunderland (but must resit all 3),
Kings, Edge Hill and Newcastle (although they would expect resits to achieve an A* in any resat subject - so A*A*A* in your case)

Extenuating circumstances complicate things as different unis would consider different circumstances warrant allowances being made for this and although all med schools accept underachievement due to ex circs, as you say, this is entirely at their discretion and most of them want to agree these circumstances before you apply, so want you to contact them (and often complete a particular form) in advance of your application so they can consider the situation and advise whether they would consider things

Leeds do, but only under exceptional circumstances: https://medicinehealth.leeds.ac.uk/medicine-undergraduate-mbchb/doc/applying/page/1
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Exeter, 
Sheffield, 
Southampton
, Sunderland (but must resit all 3),
Kings, Edge Hill and Newcastle (although they would expect resits to achieve an A* in any resat subject - so A*A*A* in your case)

Again, incredibly helpful, thank you so much. Do you think that having achieved a resit of grades and then applying next year will put be in a better position for when I contact unis prior to applying asking if they will consider me?
Reply 13
Original post by davidthomasjnr
Leeds do, but only under exceptional circumstances: file:///Users/drdavid/Downloads/MBChB_Policy_2019.pdf

As I said, ALL med schools accept resits if due to extenuating circumstances they agree fit their criteria
(and think you may have posted a link from your own downloads?)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Again, incredibly helpful, thank you so much. Do you think that having achieved a resit of grades and then applying next year will put be in a better position for when I contact unis prior to applying asking if they will consider me?

It won't make any difference, except to med schools that give preference to achieved grades (which is only Exeter in the list above of those who will accept resits without any need for extenuating circumstances)
Original post by GANFYD
As I said, ALL med schools accept resits if due to extenuating circumstances they agree fit their criteria
(and think you may have posted a link from your own downloads?)

Sorry, I didn't see that bit :biggrin: I did, but then I posted the actual link! Thank you!!
Reply 16
Original post by davidthomasjnr
Sorry, I didn't see that bit :biggrin: I did, but then I posted the actual link! Thank you!!

Always happy when people have done some research :biggrin:
Reply 17
If you get atleast 3As will you apply to do med next ye

most medical schools do not accept a level resits unless there's a specific reason for having done them e.g. death of a family member, being in hospital etc. and for me it was just bad exams so if i do end up getting A*AA or something similar i doubt they'd accept me but i'm not 100% sure.
most medical schools do not accept a level resits unless there's a specific reason for having done them e.g. death of a family member, being in hospital etc. and for me it was just bad exams so if i do end up getting A*AA or something similar i doubt they'd accept me but i'm not 100% sure.

im pretty sure there are 18 unis (more or less) that accept A level resits. Not all require reason. What a levels did you get?
Reply 19

Original post by Banshee123
im pretty sure there are 18 unis (more or less) that accept A level resits. Not all require reason. What a levels did you get?

Now up to 20 out of 37 accepting resits without extenuating circumstances

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending