Do GCSEs matter for unis especially Russell Group Unis? You
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by daveymcloughlin)
Do GCSEs matter for unis especially Russell Group Unis? You
They normally have base entry requirements for GCSE Maths and English Language, but other than that no. With the exception of Oxford, which looks for particularly high GCSEs for medicine.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes.

Courses will have A level requirements - and specific GCSE requirements.
Plus, your overall GCSE profile will also be scored as part of the assessment of your application.
daveymcloughlin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Yes.

Courses will have A level requirements - and specific GCSE requirements.
Plus, your overall GCSE profile will also be scored as part of the assessment of your application.
What so if I get straight A’s with are the entry requirements for where I want to go they will still be fussed about my GCSEs?
daveymcloughlin
Rep:
?
(Original post by yankang.qi)
They normally have base entry requirements for GCSE Maths and English Language, but other than that no. With the exception of Oxford, which looks for particularly high GCSEs for medicine.
Yeah I have 6 in language and 5 in maths I want to do law at Manchester
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of Literacy and Numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade C or 4 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Mathematics. GCSE/iGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/iGCSE English Language. We would normally expect to see a good GCSE profile with minimum grades across all subjects of A*/8 to C/4.
This is what it says on the Manchester law website, so you should be fine. If you are worried about any other entry requirements they are quite easy to find on the websites. Any further doubts and you could email the admissions teams.
daveymcloughlin
Rep:
?
Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of Literacy and Numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade C or 4 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Mathematics. GCSE/iGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/iGCSE English Language. We would normally expect to see a good GCSE profile with minimum grades across all subjects of A*/8 to C/4.
This is what it says on the Manchester law website, so you should be fine. If you are worried about any other entry requirements they are quite easy to find on the websites. Any further doubts and you could email the admissions teams.
I’ve got 5 GCSEs pal I got 2 in history and pe lol and a 3 in science. But my school was absolute dire was actually put into special measures when I was there so do you think they’ll understand
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You need to actually look up the entry requirements for the course you want to do, and on a range of different University websites - they will all be different, and the way they assess applications will all be different.

Law at Manchester - you can do the reading - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...09672/llb-law/
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’ve got 5 GCSEs pal I got 2 in history and pe lol and a 3 in science. But my school was absolute dire was actually put into special measures when I was there so do you think they’ll understand
They normally have like special consideration for extenuating circumstances (e.g. poor teaching or a less educated postcode). However, this is a sort of grey area and is something you should definitely email the admissions team to ask.
However, they may overlook your lower GCSE profile if you have a high A level predicted/achieved grades. Keep in mind that Law is highly competitive and that you will need to make up for your GCSEs in any way possible.
daveymcloughlin
Rep:
?
They normally have like special consideration for extenuating circumstances (e.g. poor teaching or a less educated postcode). However, this is a sort of grey area and is something you should definitely email the admissions team to ask.
However, they may overlook your lower GCSE profile if you have a high A level predicted/achieved grades. Keep in mind that Law is highly competitive and that you will need to make up for your GCSEs in any way possible.
Yh so I would really to be getting straight A’s in my end of year mocks then and what else can help you out?
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yh so I would really to be getting straight A’s in my end of year mocks then and what else can help you out?
If you qualify for a contextual offer then you would need AAB for Manchester. If you do not you would need higher than the minimum to compensate. It is likely that you might need A*AA, possibly A*A*A. As this is quite a large difference, you should definitely do some research into seeing if you qualify for the contextual offer.
A good personal statement will most certainly help a lot, start writing it well before you need to and redraft over and over again. Get teachers to look through it with you and read personal statements for Law from online. Things to include may be some books about Law and work experience related to Law.
daveymcloughlin
Rep:
?
If you qualify for a contextual offer then you would need AAB for Manchester. If you do not you would need higher than the minimum to compensate. It is likely that you might need A*AA, possibly A*A*A. As this is quite a large difference, you should definitely do some research into seeing if you qualify for the contextual offer.
A good personal statement will most certainly help a lot, start writing it well before you need to and redraft over and over again. Get teachers to look through it with you and read personal statements for Law from online. Things to include may be some books about Law and work experience related to Law.
Lol you can check for eligibility for a contextual offer on Manchester Uni website and they said no.
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Do GCSEs matter.....

Yes is the easy answer. Just not as much as people think.

But if your interested in Russel group universities and competitive degrees it shouldn't be a question you need to ask.

But for the majority of people GCSEs don't matter other then math's and English. That's because the majority of people don't go to RG universities.
Humairaahpatel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Very very much if your aiming for top unis like LSE/UCL not durham/KCL as much but I’d recommend you do aim for several A*/‘s of atleast a couple, aim for a 6 and above in everything especially in English and maths, wish I knew this sooner!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (291)
65.54%
No (153)
34.46%

Watched Threads