First Few Months in Audit Watch

jeffm
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
A very generalised question but I'm hoping to get a good flavour for what the first couple of months might be like as a graduate trainee doing an ACA in audit for one of the mid-tier firms?

Please only post if you have first hand experience or close third party knowledge.
Masucha
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Huh, You have accepted a job and you don't even know what you are going to be doing? Diden't they ask you this in the interview?
jeffm
haha. Of course, I wanted to compare it with other people's experience.
Beancounter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The job is essentially being a very overqualified data entry clerk for the first 6 months-it does get (slightly) better though.
jeffm
really? I was given the impression there'd be some photocopying/posting letters/donkey work but they'd try and get your input from businesses as well - i.e. you'd meet with partners after coming back from an audit and discuss/present your ideas which sounded excellent to me.

After all the salary isn't trivial so it would seem quite wasteful if you were just doing "boring" tasks.
Masucha
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You will mostly be doing trivial tasks because before you qualify you are not much use except donkey work. Once you qualify then there is no way you will want to do the donkey work so thats why they pay for the Grads, its a very good buisness model. Meeting with partners directors is possible but not that much in the first 6 months, its really a trial period.
jeffm
interesting Masucha.

That goes completely against what I was told.

I was told they will not take someone on who they think has even a small chance of failing the exams and not adding value to the firm. That was why I was asking the question because a lot of what I've read marries with your comments but I was told a very different picture. The current grads also confirmed what the partner had said quite independently.
Masucha
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
At a mid-tier you will be more important from the beginning even more at a regional office.

If you are impressive then it is probally true and you will have more partner interaction, but essentaily you will still have to do a lot of Donkey work.
jeffm
Ta, that will make sense then as it is a regional office.
theis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If its anything like a big four firm:

For your first couple of months you will be doing photocopying/ticking/casting and maybe something a little more interesting. Once you've worked for a manager more than once and proven that you're not an incapable idiot they might start to throw you more interesting stuff. On smaller jobs (so the majority of a mid tier firms work) you get much more responsibility much earlier.

As far as face time with partners goes, you'll get to know the ones on your jobs but I'd be surprised if they ever asked you anything of value to do with the firm.
Bwilson803
Report 10 years ago
I'm very much a believer in the work you get given is, in part, driven by the person.

I work within a Big 4 firm and have rarely had the ticking and bashing, etc on my jobs because I push for more interesting work and show that im capable, so the managers are more willing to give it to you.

For example, i've only been with the firm for just under 2 years and Im completing the planning work for one of my main audits, for a relatively high profile clients, under the guise of the senior manager.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.42%
No - but I will (6)
3.68%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (86)
52.76%

Watched Threads