Students speaking in different language

Watch
MedSciStudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Out of curiosity, I'd like to know who finds students speaking in a different language in a predominantly English speaking group rude?

These students are very proficient in English, but also speak their native language. Now I have no issue with them speaking it in general, but I do find it rude that they speak in their native language around those that can't speak or understand it during lecture breaks, or before entering a lecture where everyone is waiting. Especially when these are the typical obnoxious overly arrogant students who I wouldn't put past judging others abilities or knowledge.
tacobeth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
even if they’re ‘very proficient’ in English they may find it easier to talk to each other in their native language.
Turquaz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MedSciStudent)
Out of curiosity, I'd like to know who finds students speaking in a different language in a predominantly English speaking group rude?

These students are very proficient in English, but also speak their native language. Now I have no issue with them speaking it in general, but I do find it rude that they speak in their native language around those that can't speak or understand it during lecture breaks, or before entering a lecture where everyone is waiting. Especially when these are the typical obnoxious overly arrogant students who I wouldn't put past judging others abilities or knowledge.
Canadian here. Only on a predominantly British forum will you see questions like this
kannmnn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
people like talking in their native language because it’s a way to connect on a way more personal level. Also, you get homesick and using your native language is a nice way to help deal with that. I’m pretty sure they’re not purposefully excluding you or talking about you lol just let people do what they want
Wheezy___
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If they're not talking to you then it shouldn't be a problem.
Obviously, when you're talking in a group and then some people start talking in another language it can be irritating. I'm half Filipino but was never taught Tagalog so when family comes round it can be even uncomfortable at times.
However, you're definitely coming across as the judgemental one here. I don't see how telling us how obnoxious and arrogant they are is important.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you're actually in a group engaging with them it's rude... if they're just in the same space holding a separate conversation I don't see the issue?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (64)
17.53%
No one else does (117)
32.05%
I'm embarrassed about my background (38)
10.41%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (125)
34.25%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.64%
I don't have a camera (8)
2.19%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.92%

Watched Threads