The Student Room Group

Earache - Please Read

The past week or so I have bene fighting off a cold, however tonight I have been able to get no sleep due to coughing so much. About an hour ago, my right ear started hurting and I realised I couldn't equalise the pressure in it - blowing on my nose does nothing - now the pain is quite bad, enough to further stop me from sleeping.

The NHS Walk in centre opens at 8, and I mean thats going to be a pretty bad wait...What am I meant to do in this situation? I am in a different city etc as I am at Uni. Is this worthy of calling 111 to get their advice?

Would appreciate any help!
Reply 1
Note: It feels like a bubble is in my ear, sometimes the pain is not that bad and sometimes it is...
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
The past week or so I have bene fighting off a cold, however tonight I have been able to get no sleep due to coughing so much. About an hour ago, my right ear started hurting and I realised I couldn't equalise the pressure in it - blowing on my nose does nothing - now the pain is quite bad, enough to further stop me from sleeping.

The NHS Walk in centre opens at 8, and I mean thats going to be a pretty bad wait...What am I meant to do in this situation? I am in a different city etc as I am at Uni. Is this worthy of calling 111 to get their advice?

Would appreciate any help!

If you've had a cold it could be sinuses. That or it's probably wax.
I would pop into a pharmacy, check what the pharmacist thinks and probably take some decongestion tablets and ear drops. I expect you can take them at the same time and that will cover the two most likely possibilities.
If that doesn't improve things you might have an ear infection in which case your GP (or walk in clinic) should be able to help. I would pop into or call a pharmacy first to save time. 111 would probably end up suggesting a walk in since they can't give medical advice themselves and that's probably going to be a bit of a waste of time when a pharmacist should be able to help.
It's probably just a blocked Eustachian tube. It'll get better when your cold get's better.
If you've had a cold, it is likely that the infection has spread to your ear canals and this should subside when your cold does. For symptomatic relief, your could check with your pharmacist and they would be able to recommend some treatment for this, to make it feel better while you ride it out. They will let you know if you need to see a GP as well.

Quick Reply

Latest