So my predicted grades are
Both english: 7
Combined science: 6-6
Maths: 6
Art:3 (was made to do it)
French: 4
Business : distinction
History: 6
I want to do 4 A levels, psychology, sociology, law and business. Do you think I’m not smart enough to do 4?
Your English and science grades are definitely high enough to do the subjects you want. Your science should be high enough to do psychology. My advice is to take 4 should you want to and try it out. You can always drop one larer if it's too much 😊
Reply 2
Yeah I think that’s manageable especially as those alevels aren’t too content heavy. Try it out and you can always drop one (not saying that they’re easy alevels, it’s just those are ones that don’t require a lot of prior knowledge e.g something like maths so you might find them easier)
Also can I ask why you’re not taking any of those ‘facilitating’ subjects? If you’re planning to do 4 alevels, it seems like you could have at least one or two facilitating subject in their to broaden your options- but I’m not trying to tell you what to do lol just curious
Reply 3
Original post by kannmnn
Yeah I think that’s manageable especially as those alevels aren’t too content heavy. Try it out and you can always drop one (not saying that they’re easy alevels, it’s just those are ones that don’t require a lot of prior knowledge e.g something like maths so you might find them easier)
Also can I ask why you’re not taking any of those ‘facilitating’ subjects? If you’re planning to do 4 alevels, it seems like you could have at least one or two facilitating subject in their to broaden your options- but I’m not trying to tell you what to do lol just curious

Because I want to do subjects I’ll enjoy and I know that taking something like English or maths will bore me 😂 I need new subjects and one I know I’ll put a lot of effort into as the university I want to go to doesn’t require any specific subjects for most courses therefore this gives me an opportunity to try new subjects and maybe help me decide what university course to take.
Original post by Amber1874
I want to do 4 A levels, psychology, sociology, law and business. Do you think I’m not smart enough to do 4?

Doing 4 weak a levels is pointless you’re better doing 3 with a facilitating subject
If I were you I’d definitely start 4 but have the intent of dropping one after a while when you decide which 3 you like best. Doing 4 A-Levels means your timetable will be a lot more full and you’ll have less free lessons where you can do homework & further reading, which I’ve found to be incredibly useful. Some girls in the Year above me (year 13) wanted to take 4, but now literally less then a year before their A-Levels they have both decided to drop one and only take 3, as it’s too stressful, especially when you will have UCAS personal statements to write and other possible things like a part-time job, driving lessons, EPQ, volunteering, work experience and depending what your Sixth-Form is like, you might want to become a prefect or apply for Head girl/boy (or deputy head girl/boy). Doing 4 A-Levels isn’t impossible, as there was a girl 2 years above me who achieved 4 A*s at A-Level. But then again, she did 11 GCSEs and achieved A*s in all of them. If I were you, I wouldn’t completely get rid of the idea of 4 A-Levels, but I just want you to know that it will be a lot more time consuming and a lot of work. If the University you want to go to doesn’t require 4 A Levels (I’m pretty sure than no Unis require 4 A Levels) then it’s a lot of extra work and effort to be putting on yourself, when you’ll already have enough with 3. University’s much prefer to see a set of 3 A-Levels with high grades, than a set of 4 with average grades. I hope this helps, and sorry if it sounds a bit pessimistic! I’m just going off advice that teachers, my parents and students gave me at the beginning of this year, as I wanted to take 4 A-Levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology & Physics, but didn’t end up taking Physics in the end.
I also wanted to do four to start with, but now I'm so glad that I didn't. Regardless of your ability, 4 A levels is A LOT more work than 3. It's better just to do even better in 3 than to get more grades, as universities never require 4. It does depend a little on which 4 they are - Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics, fair enough, and yours would overlap a bit, but, beyond maybe taking 4 at the beginning to work out which ones you want to take forward, I really don't think that it would be worth the additional stress. But, if you want to try it first, go for it... your grades are good enough :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by daveymcloughlin
Doing 4 weak a levels is pointless you’re better doing 3 with a facilitating subject

But I don’t want to do English or maths or anything so and the uni I want to go to doesn’t care what subjects u chose so

Don't do 4 A levels. There is absolutely no advantage in doing 4. Universities will only ask for 3 A levels and they'll ignore anything extra.

If you're unsure about which one to drop, do all 4 first and then drop one after a week or two once you know which one you'd rather not do.

Again, absolutely no reason to do any more than 3 and universities/employers won't be impressed.
But I don’t want to do English or maths or anything so and the uni I want to go to doesn’t care what subjects u chose so

Ok fair enough you can’t be doing things you hate but I’d still say doing 4 is pointless
I don't think that anyone is 'not smart enough' to do 4 A Levels; it just depends on how much time you're willing to devote to your schoolwork. I'm currently in Year 14 (I decided to take another A Level starting in Year 13) and, honestly, I wish that I took more A Levels. I have a BTEC, a CTEC and an A Level but I've had to contact a lot of admissions offices since I don't have the standard combination of 3 A Levels. I'm not saying that you want to do University, but it's definitely something to consider.

Either way, I think if you are willing to give it a try, you definitely should. Remember you can always drop out or do an AS if you're finding that the workload is too heavy. Do whatever makes you feel at ease, and good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply