The Student Room Group

Is this job worth it?

I work as an afterschool teacher, teaching classes of up to 7 pupils. I only have 2 contact hours per week and make a total of £22 per work day. My travel expenses and printing (we have to print off worksheets and plans for every lesson) are not paid for and total to about £4. So at the end of the week, I only make £18 or so. It's quite a high stress job as it involves often disruptive children and it's quite a bit of effort travelling.
In your opinion, is this worth it? I am a uni student, btw. If quit now, I need to pay a charge of £50 as it's still sort of the probationary period.
Could you not keep working until the probationary period is over (assuming it is not too long) for the experience and a bit of extra money even if it does involve some travelling and not much money?
Sorry if that’s unhelpful but I just wanted to input!
Original post by Anonymous
Could you not keep working until the probationary period is over (assuming it is not too long) for the experience and a bit of extra money even if it does involve some travelling and not much money?

Agree with this! Also could you ask for more hours? To make it worth it
I agree with anonymous 2.
Also, if you really need the cash there’s surely other part time work you can find? It’s not worth staying in this job if it’s really stressing you out.
Reply 4

Thanks for the advice. The probationary period is technically over in about 3 weeks, but I feel as though it would come across as a lot worse to my employers as they’d know that I’d specifically waited until it was over so as to avoid paying?
Reply 5
Original post by maddyjm02
Agree with this! Also could you ask for more hours? To make it worth it

The job was advertised as 2-9 hours but it was really misleading as you’re only really given 2 hours, unless somebody calls in sick or something and you cover for them, so there really isn’t any chance of that...
Reply 6
Original post by Wheezy___
I agree with anonymous 2.
Also, if you really need the cash there’s surely other part time work you can find? It’s not worth staying in this job if it’s really stressing you out.

Yes, I was thinking I could probably make more working at mcdonalds lol!
Thanks for the advice. The probationary period is technically over in about 3 weeks, but I feel as though it would come across as a lot worse to my employers as they’d know that I’d specifically waited until it was over so as to avoid paying?

Don't worry about their feelings, worry about what is right for you. I agree you should stick it out for the next 3 weeks then say it's not working out due to the small number of hours - the ball is then in their court to give you more permanent hours or accept you will be leaving.

A good place to work is at your uni - they have jobs that are ideal for students as they fit in around term times and they don't want to treat their own students badly
Reply 8
Do what you want.
If it was me I'd just tell them I'm leaving though. I also am unsure how enforacble that £50 fine is either.
Getting fined for leaving a job... First I've heard of it although not surprised.

Honestly it sounds terrible and your a university student. I could understand an a level student doing it for UCAS.

Edit: im 99% sure they cant fine you. At best they can deduct it from your wages but seeing as you only earn like £20 a week it's not a big issue.
(edited 4 years ago)

forget your bosses - once you've left their opinion of you is irrelevant
I work as an afterschool teacher, teaching classes of up to 7 pupils. I only have 2 contact hours per week and make a total of £22 per work day. My travel expenses and printing (we have to print off worksheets and plans for every lesson) are not paid for and total to about £4. So at the end of the week, I only make £18 or so. It's quite a high stress job as it involves often disruptive children and it's quite a bit of effort travelling.
In your opinion, is this worth it? I am a uni student, btw. If quit now, I need to pay a charge of £50 as it's still sort of the probationary period.

No it's not worth it. Several things also make me wonder whether your employers are morally bankrupt charlatans.

The £50 is a penalty clause and these are usually regarded as unenforceable in UK employment law. Highly, highly dodgy stuff.

Questions. Are you paid below the minimum wage in absolute? Why is printing not paid? Should travel be paid? Have your received any training? From a legal point of view are you supported and supervised in supporting the children? Is it a regulated activity?
Original post by marinade
No it's not worth it. Several things also make me wonder whether your employers are morally bankrupt charlatans.

The £50 is a penalty clause and these are usually regarded as unenforceable in UK employment law. Highly, highly dodgy stuff.

Questions. Are you paid below the minimum wage in absolute? Why is printing not paid? Should travel be paid? Have your received any training? From a legal point of view are you supported and supervised in supporting the children? Is it a regulated activity?

I should’ve clarified that the £50 is not really a penalty fee, but the cost of the process for a DBS certificate which was processed for all of us when we were hired.
The company itself is very reputable and organised with many connections. Not a mainstream tutoring service, but seems to be pretty widely recognised. We receive plenty of training (in fact, it seems to be every other week - and it’s not paid for either).
I’m not sure why printing isn’t paid for. Last week i had to print off 40 sheets which hit pretty hard lol.
I’m paid £11 an hour, so definitely not minimum wage.
I should’ve clarified that the £50 is not really a penalty fee, but the cost of the process for a DBS certificate which was processed for all of us when we were hired.
The company itself is very reputable and organised with many connections. Not a mainstream tutoring service, but seems to be pretty widely recognised. We receive plenty of training (in fact, it seems to be every other week - and it’s not paid for either).
I’m not sure why printing isn’t paid for. Last week i had to print off 40 sheets which hit pretty hard lol.
I’m paid £11 an hour, so definitely not minimum wage.

Ah the old DBS one. It's not illegal, but it's bad practice on their part. I bet they think they are doing you a favour.

You sound happier in that post. Just when I thought it sounded you liked it and it might be fair enough sticking out the three weeks, the old unpaid training wheeze makes an appearance. Were you made aware of the unpaid training before you started? Is it mentioned in your contract? Is the training at regular place or work or somewhere else?

Are you a psychology/education/sociology/ student trying to get some experience?

I think you need to think about you, what you're getting out of it and after 3 weeks consider all these things more. I'm not aware of the time commitments on travelling, or cost, but in any individuals there will be varying opinions on what's worth it for paid/volunteer work.

Quick Reply

Latest