Super Saturday - Brexit Decision Day! (or is it?) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Today Parliament votes in a special Saturday sitting on Boris's Withdrawal Protocol, agreed with the EU, which if passed, opens the way to negotiations on trade, an agreement on which would come into effect at the end of 2020. That's the theory, anyway.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-the-deal-pass

That vote will be close - at the moment, the numbers look a little against it passing, but the situation is fluid. :cookie:

There are some key groups who can tip it one way or the other:

The DUP - currently opposed.
Labour MPs representing Leave seats - some may support Boris.
Tory MPs kicked off the party recently - they may go for it, but some are not going to.

The official SNP, Labour, LibDem, Plaid and Green parties are all voting against. Officially at any rate.

There's an ammendment laid down by Conservative MP Oliver Letwin which basically calls for another delay until it is clear what the negotiating position of Boris's government would be regarding ongoing free trade with the EU after 2020 - this should be made clear in the upcoming legislation after this vote on the Protocol. So basically this means waiting to see what will be in the legislation before agreeing to the Protocol - a delay of perhaps some weeks.

At the moment, this ammendment is likely to pass. But we don't yet know that it will be accepted.

Watch this space - plenty of involving politics today for the junkies, but also a lot of interest in today's votes from people just wanting the Brexit process to come to a conclusion. :yep:

The action starts at 9.30am.

Key votes will probably be late afternoon and early evening today.

Watch this space! :excited:
JanusGodofDoors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Promises to be one of the most engaging days in parliamentary history. It will be incredibly interesting to see what happens with Letwin’s amendment, and of course the main deal itself.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by JanusGodofDoors)
Promises to be one of the most engaging days in parliamentary history. It will be incredibly interesting to see what happens with Letwin’s amendment, and of course the main deal itself.
Journalists and whips will be watching some MPs like hawks, trying to discern which way they will go. High on the radar lists are people like Steve Baker, the leader of the ERG gang inside the Tory Party, who (if he supports this) will probably bring with him quite a few previously disruptive no-voters on deals from his grouping and Caroline Flint, the leading Leaver on the Labour side. She has yet to say if she supports the new Protocol.
JanusGodofDoors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Journalists and whips will be watching some MPs like hawks, trying to discern which way they will go. High on the radar lists are people like Steve Baker, the leader of the ERG gang inside the Tory Party, who (if he supports this) will probably bring with him quite a few previously disruptive no-voters on deals from his grouping and Caroline Flint, the leading Leaver on the Labour side. She has yet to say if she supports the new Protocol.
My eyes are glued to BBC news and guardian live blog!!
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by JanusGodofDoors)
My eyes are glued to BBC news and guardian live blog!!
Hee hee it is totally addictive.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Love it.. got the live text on while working..

ERG supporting the bill..

Goverment refusing to rule out pulling the vote if the letwin amendment passes..

The letwin amendment is an interesting one. It gives boris his deal, but also humiliates him into asking for an extension, and loosing his ability to say 'look, I told you we would leave on the 31st no matter what!

I think its a clever thing for labour to back to be honest.. it sets them up nicely for the next election. Boris sorts out the deal, meaning brexit is not the biggest issue in the next election (good for labour, as their position on brexit goes down awfully with the public), and it removes boris' ability to boast about getting it done, and not asking for an extension.. it makes boris look awfully weak infront of his leaver-base.
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have homework but I'm just gonna have to bail nomsayin?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The most important question today is:-

Are the DUP British or Irish?

This morning in the Commons, the Prime Minister will attempt to sell Ulster Unionism down the river.

At 11:15 in Tokyo Ulsterman Rory Best will lead out the Ireland rugby team in the World Cup quarter final against New Zealand.

Will the DUP be in their Commons seats or gathered round a TV?
Last edited by nulli tertius; 3 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
PMs statement about to start.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Bercow announces he is letting in the Letwin ammendment, to quite a cacophony.

Johnson on his feet.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Daily Mail has gone back to using 'betrayal' in headlines this morning, this time against Oliver Letwin. They temporarily halted this kind of hate-mongering after their former editor Paul Dacre left, but Dacre did a rant the other day about falling standards, so perhaps he is still in charge after all.
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I love the commentary Fullofsurprises :congrats:

Spoiler:
Show
I know that sounds sarcastic but I'm genuinely loving it :rofl:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glaz)
I love the commentary Fullofsurprises :congrats:

Spoiler:
Show
I know that sounds sarcastic but I'm genuinely loving it :rofl:
Lol, thanks! :teehee:
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
The most important question today is:-

Are the DUP British or Irish?
Regardless, they still say NO! It is the only word they have in their lexicon.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Johnson describes the eminently sensible Customs Union, a freely entered-into arrangement for smoothing trade, as being 'held against our will'. This kind of nonsense is to pander to his ERG supporters, but it's deeply frustrating to hear normal international policies like this described in such a grandstanding nationalistic way.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Captain Picard - Patrick Stewart - is amongst the keynote speakers at today's Final Say rally.

Met police say the rally already looks set to be one of the largest ever held in London.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For all his problems, Boris is such a better speaker than May.

Its not the most passionate or inspiring speech, but compraed to may anytihng looks authoritative.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Boris promises NHS will not be on the table in any future trade negotiations. This might be a comprehensive statement, but cynicism suggest reading the small print in future - the big US corporate healthcare 'providers' have been targeting the supply of services to the NHS, eg, cherry-picking the profitable bits and leaving the rest to the taxpayer.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
he makes a good point about the lack of commitments to workers rights/enviromental rights..

Sure once we are out of the UK, a party (like the conservatives) could errode them... but equally another party (as Labour presumably wants to) could actually take them further and have more fredom than they currently do, to do even better than what is currently regultated by the EU.

this specific critisim, strikes of a party that isn't confident in its ability to win an election.. if Labour are confident in winning the next election, then more freedom to set our own domestic policy in various areas is a good thing for them.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Farage is claiming in the Telegraph that the Protocol voted on today would still leave us locked into the EU. Presumably he is talking about the transition period, as it's hard to see how this could be right. Or is he just desperate?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (138)
54.12%
18-20 years old (no) (31)
12.16%
20-25 years old (yes) (40)
15.69%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.57%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.06%