The Student Room Group

Work experience or placement relevant to psychology

Hello alljust wondering where to get work experience or a placement relevant to psychology, preferably clinical or counselling/therapy. I've been looking around online and there just seems to be nothing out there.I'm a second year now who wants to do a placement next year or gain any relevant work experience possible in Birmingham - but it just seems so difficult and somewhat non-existent because of the confidential nature and popularity of psychology.Where can I go? Where should I look? If I can't get something in psychology, where's the next best place?I tried childline too but they don't have any vacancies where I amthanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by eddiewhatwhat
Hello alljust wondering where to get work experience or a placement relevant to psychology, preferably clinical or counselling/therapy. I've been looking around online and there just seems to be nothing out there.I'm a second year now who wants to do a placement next year or gain any relevant work experience possible in Birmingham - but it just seems so difficult and somewhat non-existent because of the confidential nature and popularity of psychology.Where can I go? Where should I look? If I can't get something in psychology, where's the next best place?I tried childline too but they don't have any vacancies where I amthanks in advance

you can try Mind , Samaritans or any other organisations, for both clinical and counselling you may need one to one experience with the groups of people you might want to work with, so roles such as volunteering for Mind call center or becoming a support worker or healthcare assistant for the groups you want to work with (e.g individuals with autism,mental health, brain injury, dementia etc) might be beneficial

e.g https://www.networxrecruitment.com/Jobs/Feed?key=Q8sftIwAd%2bOj5ux93JQjVLoSpkQDw%2bLsFbl1ZIfklFI%3d

you can even in your spare time be a crisis volunteer, but i dont recommend this as a placement, as it doesnt give one to one experience
https://www.crisistextline.uk/how-it-works
hope it helps (:
Reply 2
Any helping role would be good experience. Crisis work, Samaritans, support work, mentoring, youth work... Nowhere will offer a counselling placement unless you are training as a counsellor. You could also look for voluntary research assistant posts.

Quick Reply

Latest