as a linguist, do you...? Watch

Emma27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
translate randomly from english to another language in your head? say, a script when you're watching a film in english?

when alone, realise your mind is thinking about how you would talk to other people in foreign languages?

talk to yourself in other languages (by accident)?

read things in a foreign language and think about how to say it in another?

make notes using foreign words because they sometimes come to mind quicker?

...or anything else strange?

weird, i know. i am curious. :p:
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not a linguist, but I translate stuff into French everyday.
I say sentences and wonder how to say them in French, and talk to mysrlf iFrench when no one's around all the time. I even make up conversations in French.
But my French is quite poor so I know that I'm often wrong. Ah well, I'll be fluent one day hopefully.
Emma27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
oh good, i'm not alone :P
Silvertongue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha yes a linguist...but I don't know. Not really because not all linguists are good at both languages equal amounts if you get me? So if I watch something in English, I don't usually try and translate.

I do sometimes think in Chinese but I think that's only when what I'm thinking can't really be said using the English language....the rest of the time...er I don't even know whether I THINK in a LANGUAGE...more like pictures? :s

But it's fun to be able to switch back and forth between languages and you'll find a lot of linguists speak a mixture of their language at some point, replacing words in English with words with the other language because it's simply easier. Not all languages have the same effective words!
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't worry, you're deffo not alone.

Je ne pense pas que tu etes seulement.

Hehe I think that's wrong
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

'etes' is the vous conjugation of etre.
'es' is the 'tu' conjugation

And in answer to the actual thread, yes I do it quite often and in German more than French because I find it easier.
kjc_us
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I ALWAYS make up imaginary conversations in my head in either French or German, usually French, then I'll realise I don't know a word and WordReference is up straight away... haha I'm so glad I'm not alone!
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
While I was doing French for GCSE I translated a lot in my head. It was probably all wrong though because I ended up getting a B.
sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha yep I do all those! lol

think of conversations in my head....and just use random foreign words in normal conversation quite a lot! my family get kinda annoyed sometimes!
Fetai
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
While I was doing French for GCSE I translated a lot in my head. It was probably all wrong though because I ended up getting a B.
OMFG YOU ENDED UP WITH A B!?!?! :eek: Did you get grounded by your parents?
C.o.o.k.i.e
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

I think it would be the subjunctive as well! So... Je ne pense pas que tu sois seulement...

But i duno! I'm probs wrong!

But in relation to the opening questions, ya i do sometimes try to translate just random things i see into either french or spanish, and sometimes when i see things on tv etc i'll try and think of how to phrase them in another lang.
So nopes you're defo not alone!
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fetai)
OMFG YOU ENDED UP WITH A B!?!?! :eek: Did you get grounded by your parents?
Yes.
sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by C.o.o.k.i.e)
I think it would be the subjunctive as well! So... Je ne pense pas que tu sois seulement...

Yep, pretty sure it should be subjunctive too! je pense que wouldn't be, but adding the ne...pas will make it subjunctive! well noticed! lol
Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by C.o.o.k.i.e)

It would be Je ne pense pas que tu sois seul(e)
FrenchGal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All right, I'm going to sound so sad, but... I think in English most of the times (my native language is French). I mean, ALL the time. I often swear in English when I drop stuff. And it's been getting worse since I've moved back to France after spending two years in the UK/ I miss speaking English so much...

(it's 'Je ne pense pas que tu sois seule dans cette situation', by the way )
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Je suis desolee mais Je ne suis pas tres bien en Francais
Je voudrais etre, mais maintenant...Je ne suis pas!

Pfff, correct that if you will.
Hopeful_Dreams
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As a linguist... YES! All the time! A lot of the times I do it by accident but it's just a habit I've done since I can remember.
Bassoonery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, a lot. In French mostly, but I amuse myself with a bit of Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin and Old English. All rather terribly but I do want to get pretty much fluent in French by the end of my degree. Going to need to work very hard!!
Leonardo85
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Last night I had a dream in Italian and when I saw my auntie I spoke to her in Spanish, then I was in a Chinese shop looking for some herbs for her, and I spoke to the lady in Chinese! it's the first time I actully realize in which language I dream!
Fleece
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm struggling with English at the moment. There are so many times where I just can't find the English word so I use the German...ends up some crazy denglish mix...not good for when I actually return to England and have to speak my native tongue :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed