The Student Room Group

Engineering? Alevels needed?

im in year 11 now Im thinking of becoming an engineer butI'm not sure what to do what type of engineering to do? any recommendations? any alevels recommendations? I have to apply to sixth forms by the end of the year

Scroll to see replies

Maths, Further Maths and Physics are all very necessary. Potentially chemistry, economics or even biology can be a 4th.
Reply 2
Do maths and physics. Consider doing further maths.
Maths and Physics are necessary, though in some cases you can get around not having Physics. Further Maths is near-necessary for Imperial and Oxbridge, but if you don't want to do or can't do FM that's not a major issue because there are plenty of other universities which provide engineering degrees of equal quality and don't require FM. I'd say anyone who says FM is necessary clearly hasn't started an engineering degree, or has gone to a university with a poor idea of what maths skills are needed for most engineers.

For your other subjects do whatever you want, I'd recommend doing a language because it will open up a lot of opportunities at uni but other subjects are good too if you're stronger in them.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
Maths and Physics are necessary, though in some cases you can get around not having Physics. Further Maths is near-necessary for Imperial and Oxbridge, but if you don't want to do or can't do FM that's not a major issue because there are plenty of other universities which provide engineering degrees of equal quality and don't require FM. I'd say anyone who says FM is necessary clearly hasn't started an engineering degree, or has gone to a university with a poor idea of what maths skills are needed for most engineers.

For your other subjects do whatever you want, I'd recommend doing a language because it will open up a lot of opportunities at uni but other subjects are good too if you're stronger in them.

thank you so much! this is so helpful I hope to go imperial in the future anyway !
Original post by Tela
thank you so much! this is so helpful I hope to go imperial in the future anyway !

I do engineering at Imperial (I did Further Maths) but I've met quite a few people who only did Maths. For the record, I'm really enjoying Imperial atm - it's a great place to study :smile:
Original post by nathan.boachie
Maths, Further Maths and Physics are all very necessary. Potentially chemistry, economics or even biology can be a 4th.

Don’t do 4
Reply 7
Original post by daveymcloughlin
Don’t do 4

the sixth forms I'm applying to say 4 but ? why?
Original post by Tela
the sixth forms I'm applying to say 4 but ? why?

Ask them then mate I didn’t know anyone had to take 4. Maybe they just want you to do it as they believe you’re capable
Reply 9
Ask them then mate I didn’t know anyone had to take 4. Maybe they just want you to do it as they believe you’re capable

yeah sure I'll ask but like in a sixth form option FM is considered as an add on so u do 3 + FM
Don’t do 4

If you're at the level of Imperial, I would recommend four, including Further Maths.
Reply 11

and in the others there are 4 but I think some do 3
Original post by Tela
im in year 11 now Im thinking of becoming an engineer butI'm not sure what to do what type of engineering to do? any recommendations? any alevels recommendations? I have to apply to sixth forms by the end of the year

What do you enjoy?

The basics for Engineering would be Maths and Physics. High-ranking universities will see most applicants have Further Maths too. In-depth understanding as well as high grades is key.

In my school every person is required to take 4 a levels so it's not uncommon for some schools to force you to do 4 a levels.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say anyone who says FM is necessary clearly hasn't started an engineering degree, or has gone to a university with a poor idea of what maths skills are needed for most engineers.

I would say you are wrong - I teach Maths but would say you do not need Further Maths - certainly if you are aiming for a degree that will prepare you to work in industry it's not needed. Newer unis don't ask for Further and their degrees are often better these days as they offer a year in industry and more up-to-date applications/access to software.
Original post by .unknown
In my school every person is required to take 4 a levels so it's not uncommon for some schools to force you to do 4 a levels.

They can’t force you to do anything. If they are trying to force you then you should look elsewhere imo
Original post by Tela
yeah sure I'll ask but like in a sixth form option FM is considered as an add on so u do 3 + FM

Look more widely at universities - my best students don't go to Oxbridge or Imperial for Engineering these days.
They can’t force you to do anything. If they are trying to force you then you should look elsewhere imo

Nah I'm fine with doing four a levels they're manageable
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
Look more widely at universities - my best students don't go to Oxbridge or Imperial for Engineering these days.

sure where do they go ?
Original post by Tela
sure where do they go ?

Many go to newer universities so they can do a year in industry and also non-RG like Bath - Loughborough is popular too and for those who want to do Automotive or Motorsport - Brookes is top choice.

Quick Reply

Latest