Boring shopping question :D Watch

bkcr20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Where do UCL students do their food shopping? Is there a big, conveniently located supermarket that does cheap stuff nearby? There's always the Sainsbury's on Tottenham Ct Road but where do most people shop? I'm trying to stave off horrible memories of trekking across the Sussex campus with heavy bottles of alcohol in weak shopping bags and praying to Morrissey they wouldn't break....
xx
Lacks Organisation
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
I lived on Gower Street last year so I did most of my shopping at the little Sainsbury's on Tottenham Court Road. There's a crappy little Tesco opposite that Sainsbury's but that has a VERY limited selection (but better opening hours).
There is a much bigger Tesco on Googe Street (near Iccos-a place to get good pizzas for cheap, you WILL visit Iccos during your time at UCL). This big Tesco has the best selection (and the best prices if I remember correctly). Just depends if you can be bothered to walk that far. It's not actually very far from the UCL campus at all, but some people (like me) are lazy.
There is a "secret Sainsbury's" stashed away near Shafer House somewhere. I've been in there once but can't remember exactly where it is.
Basically, it depends where you live. You'll do your shopping close to where you live, not where you go to lectures. There's a massive kickass Sainsbury's in Camden, so if you live in Max Rayne or Ifor Evans you'll shop there. That's the only 'proper' supermarket I remember seeing in London.
Within central London there are little Tesco Metros and Sainsbury's Locals dotted around everywhere so you shouldn't be far from anywhere to get your essentials from. The supermarkets will stop selling booze at 11:00 pm, which is a pain. There is a 24 hour internet cafe near the crappy little Tesco on Tottenham Court Road that used to sell us booze at pretty much any time we wanted (even at pretty strange times like 5 or 6 in the morning). You can always nip in to places like that to pick up **** when the "supermarkets" are closed.
One thing I've noticed is that in central London there aren't any really cheap supermarkets like Lidl, Netto or Aldi. Maybe that's just 'cause it's down south? I'm not sure, but anyhoo the closest thing you'll get to anything like that is Somerfield, which isn't actually that cheap, and you have to be on the very fringes of central if you're to find one.
What else?...
Oh yeah, there's a Morrissons in Camden, but I've never been in it. It looks pretty big, but I think it's quite far from the UCL accommodation that's in Camden (Ifor and Max Rayne-there might be another place in Camden-I can't remember) so you'd have to walk pretty far to get back (unless you want to pay to get a bus back-or stow away on one of the bendy buses, aslong as they last).
There's a Waitrose at the Brunswick centre which is quite close to the UCL campus, and some of the accommodation. Waitrose is really nicely laid out and the food there is AMAZING, but is too expensive (for me anyway-if you're loaded, tuck in to the bounty).
As far as your bags breaking from the hefty load of alcohol you've purchased goes, the staff in the Sainsbury's I used to go in alot would double bag things for me, and in the sweet Tesco (on Googe Street), you just use the self service tills so you can double, or even tripple your bags if you feel like it. As a side note, don't be affraid of the self service checkouts. They're much faster than queueing (I can't spell that) once you get used to them and if you're buying booze someone will quickly pop over to you and work their magic on the machine to let it continue.
All in all, shopping shouldn't be a worry or a hassle for you. Mind you, that's coming from someone who lived in a pretty much ideal location. I don't remember anyone complaining about shopping being difficult at other accommodations (even the people who lived in Camden who were always crying about how far from campus they were).
You'll be fine
guvno0or
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As the above says, sainsburys on tottenham court road and waitrose at brunswick are in easy reach. It's no problem at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed