womanofkent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My son has applied to undertake a medical degree straight from school, entry 2020. I know that due to our income he will only be eligible for the minimum maintenance loan. From reading your website it seems that his tuition is paid via a SLC loan for years 1-4 and years 5-6 by NHS bursary. I have been saving for a number of years for our expected contribution but I am confused about what happens in years 5 & 6 with regards to the maintenance funding. The NHS Bursary could be the minimum of £1000 (although my husband may have retired by then and so may be eligible for more) but is that all? is there no loan at all from the SLC for years 5 &6? The website is not clear on this point and when I just spoke to an advisor on the phone I was told there was no funding at all as students are on placements, these are unpaid though, and if a student is taking an intercalated year they would be studying full time at a university for one of those years. Any clarity on this would be much appreciated
SFE Tegan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

If your son is studying an undergraduate medical course he can apply for a reduced Maintenance Loan in year 5 and 6. We wouldn't fund tuition fees for those years. When a student decides to intercalate that year of funding will be counted as part of the 4 years of study. This means if he completes three years of his course and an intercalation year instead of the 4th year, when he returns to the course he can apply for reduced Maintenance Loan for the rest of the degree.

Should his course be a graduate-entry course then the funding will be different.
Thanks, Tégan
womanofkent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Tegan)
Hi,

If your son is studying an undergraduate medical course he can apply for a reduced Maintenance Loan in year 5 and 6. We wouldn't fund tuition fees for those years. When a student decides to intercalate that year of funding will be counted as part of the 4 years of study. This means if he completes three years of his course and an intercalation year instead of the 4th year, when he returns to the course he can apply for reduced Maintenance Loan for the rest of the degree.

Should his course be a graduate-entry course then the funding will be different.
Thanks, Tégan
thank you
SFE Ashley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by womanofkent)
thank you
You’re welcome! Please let us know if you have any further questions

Thanks, Ashley.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?