Megabus lost and found experience with missing luggage Watch

Slateman
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi there, I picked a Megabus to travel from London to Leeds and it broke down at Leicester. While they were repairing the coach without giving us any further updates after waiting for more than an hour, I get off the bus to buy a snack at the service station. On my return after almost 5 minutes, the coach was gone with my luggage still on it... I asked a friend to wait at Leeds coach station for the bus arrival to retrieve the luggage, but he waited for 3 hours without seeing the bus.

After being arrived in Leeds with another bus (not Megabus), I tried to call the customer service who gave me very generic information on their lost and found policy. They told me that they let me know as soon as possible and they will keep searching for my belongings for a total of 14 days and to refer to the depot in Wooley Edge. I visited the depot which told me that the main depot is in Rugby. I tried to bring them after finding their number online, but the number was unavailable.

Do you have any experience like this? How did you go about it? Did you manage to retrieve your stuff?

Thank you in advance
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Slateman)
Hi there, I picked a Megabus to travel from London to Leeds and it broke down at Leicester. While they were repairing the coach without giving us any further updates after waiting for more than an hour, I get off the bus to buy a snack at the service station. On my return after almost 5 minutes, the coach was gone with my luggage still on it... I asked a friend to wait at Leeds coach station for the bus arrival to retrieve the luggage, but he waited for 3 hours without seeing the bus.

After being arrived in Leeds with another bus (not Megabus), I tried to call the customer service who gave me very generic information on their lost and found policy. They told me that they let me know as soon as possible and they will keep searching for my belongings for a total of 14 days and to refer to the depot in Wooley Edge. I visited the depot which told me that the main depot is in Rugby. I tried to bring them after finding their number online, but the number was unavailable.

Do you have any experience like this? How did you go about it? Did you manage to retrieve your stuff?

Thank you in advance
Have you had any luck yet? This hasn't happened to me with Megabus, but I did accidentally leave my camera bag and charger (luckily I had my camera) on a coach during a coach tour holiday. Luckily customer services was helpful and I got my bag and charger back I hope you hear about it soon!
Slateman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Have you had any luck yet? This hasn't happened to me with Megabus, but I did accidentally leave my camera bag and charger (luckily I had my camera) on a coach during a coach tour holiday. Luckily customer services was helpful and I got my bag and charger back I hope you hear about it soon!
HI, I recovered the luggage on Monday after receiving an email which told it was located in... Wooley Edge. 😑
I went there just on time, since my departure for London was planned 30 minutes before the email, but unfortunately I lost my Ray-Ban. Oh well...
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
HI, I recovered the luggage on Monday after receiving an email which told it was located in... Wooley Edge. 😑
I went there just on time, since my departure for London was planned 30 minutes before the email, but unfortunately I lost my Ray-Ban. Oh well...
Sounds weird it never arrived. I wouldnt have gone to get a snack without letting the driver know and getting their permission. Normally they let you off and tell you how long you have. Seems strange they couldnt track the coach. Not sure why you lost raybans but at least thats all it was.
Abdulnoor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey. I was in the exact same position as you. I was coming from London to Leeds. My coach made a stop at Watford Gap North. I got out to use the toilets and I come back 5 minutes later and my coach is gone. I left my bag on the coach and it had my house keys in it. I called a Greggs restaurant and asked if they could speak to the driver about my luggage. The driver arrived in Leeds and said he'll sort of my luggage. Another coach to Leeds made a stop at Watford Gap North but I couldn't go in it because I can't open my house in Leeds so there was no point. I had to stay with family friends in Leicester. I've asked about my luggage and they also said it could take up to 14 days. How long will I be waiting? Should I call the depot in Woolley Edge?
Slateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abdulnoor)
Hey. I was in the exact same position as you. I was coming from London to Leeds. My coach made a stop at Watford Gap North. I got out to use the toilets and I come back 5 minutes later and my coach is gone. I left my bag on the coach and it had my house keys in it. I called a Greggs restaurant and asked if they could speak to the driver about my luggage. The driver arrived in Leeds and said he'll sort of my luggage. Another coach to Leeds made a stop at Watford Gap North but I couldn't go in it because I can't open my house in Leeds so there was no point. I had to stay with family friends in Leicester. I've asked about my luggage and they also said it could take up to 14 days. How long will I be waiting? Should I call the depot in Woolley Edge?
Hi, I am very sorry that you encountered my same ordeal.
In my case, the luggage has been located after three days. (the lost and found office is closed during the weekend, maybe you have to wait less time since it's Thursday) Perhaps you can try to call Wooley Edge depot at 07500447762 and describe them the luggage you lost to reduce the waiting time. I wish you to recover it as soon as possible.
Abdulnoor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I am very sorry that you encountered my same ordeal.
In my case, the luggage has been located after three days. (the lost and found office is closed during the weekend, maybe you have to wait less time since it's Thursday) Perhaps you can try to call Wooley Edge depot at 07500447762 and describe them the luggage you lost to reduce the waiting time. I wish you to recover it as soon as possible.
Thank you very much for that number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called them and they told me my bag is in Newcastle 😪😪. They are gonna have to organise on how they're gonna get it back to Leeds. Again, thank you very much big ladddd
Slateman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abdulnoor)
Thank you very much for that number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called them and they told me my bag is in Newcastle 😪😪. They are gonna have to organise on how they're gonna get it back to Leeds. Again, thank you very much big ladddd
No problem, feel free to ask anything else if needed. 😉
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I recently lost my luggage too and the lost property team is not the best. I even told them where my luggage will most likely be and Megabus was still not taking action, saying that it could be at another depot. I lost mine mid December ( a really bad time because of all the bank holidays. It was a nightmare and I think they didn’t even properly check. Don’t bother even emailing them because they will just say the same robotic thing about “ our lost properly team is doing the best they can”. Well, +14 days plus past, since they don’t work on weekends and only search 9am to 5pm, I was getting worried and called customer services again. The next steps are to complain and request a claim. The team had the audacity to say they couldn’t find my luggage so I had do a claim. So I took matters into my own hands and asked one of their drivers. Turns out they actually look for 28 days and they are just lying to you. For anyone who has had the same experience as me I suggest that you call customer services and ask them to give you the number of the depot you likely think it is at. That is what I did and my luggage was located within 1 hour!!! For anyone who has lost their luggage with this company, I suggest you don’t lose hope like I nearly did and take action. Feel free to ask me any questions
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thank you in advance
That was your fault tbh,

I've used megabus many of times and when stopping for breaks they always make it very clear how long the break is and that they will leave without you if not back. If the coach was sitting there repairing then you don't actually know when it's due to leave. The intelligent thing to do would be to ask the driver when it's going to leave and tell him you are going and see what he says
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I recently lost my luggage too and the lost property team is not the best. I even told them where my luggage will most likely be and Megabus was still not taking action, saying that it could be at another depot. I lost mine mid December ( a really bad time because of all the bank holidays. It was a nightmare and I think they didn’t even properly check. Don’t bother even emailing them because they will just say the same robotic thing about “ our lost properly team is doing the best they can”. Well, +14 days plus past, since they don’t work on weekends and only search 9am to 5pm, I was getting worried and called customer services again. The next steps are to complain and request a claim. The team had the audacity to say they couldn’t find my luggage so I had do a claim. So I took matters into my own hands and asked one of their drivers. Turns out they actually look for 28 days and they are just lying to you. For anyone who has had the same experience as me I suggest that you call customer services and ask them to give you the number of the depot you likely think it is at. That is what I did and my luggage was located within 1 hour!!! For anyone who has lost their luggage with this company, I suggest you don’t lose hope like I nearly did and take action. Feel free to ask me any questions
Hi,I lost my luggage on January 3. That night,I contacted customer service and told them all about the luggage. But 18 days later, I didn't get any reply. During this period, I kept sending emails to megabus, and all the replies were the same. On January 21, I called customer service again and they replied that it was impossible to retrieve the luggage in more than 14 days. I asked them to tell me about my vehicle I took and the nearby depot , and they replied that they could not. My suitcase is heavy and has an extra password lock. It can't disappear easily. What should I do?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,I lost my luggage on January 3. That night,I contacted customer service and told them all about the luggage. But 18 days later, I didn't get any reply. During this period, I kept sending emails to megabus, and all the replies were the same. On January 21, I called customer service again and they replied that it was impossible to retrieve the luggage in more than 14 days. I asked them to tell me about my vehicle I took and the nearby depot , and they replied that they could not. My suitcase is heavy and has an extra password lock. It can't disappear easily. What should I do?
Hi, I’m sorry about your luggage. First off, I think you should figure where the bus went. Mine went to Cardiff so it was in the Newport depot. They have many depots so I think knowing where your luggage may likely be, is the first step. And once you’ve found that out, ring customer services and they will give you their number, just say you were advised to contact the depot otherwise I think they will be rude about it and not give it to you. Then once you’ve got number, describe the luggage to them and they will help you out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (469)
66.62%
No (235)
33.38%

Watched Threads