Animal Research Labs - North West Watch

karate_kat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The only experience I haven't been able to find is an animal research/testing lab. I believe I have or will have got most other possibilities for work experience.
So, I'm wondering if anyone's done any work experience at an animal research /testing lab in the north west area (preferably close to cheshire/wrexham sort of area).
I have tried pals vet lab already, and they said they no longer take work experience people, something to do with insurance??
Thanks in advance
starry skies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
TBH unless this is an area you especially want to work in, I wouldn't bother. Go and work in a wildlife park or something instead. I would suspect it's very difficult to get work exp pre-university because off issues with animal libbers etc
karate_kat
Rep:
?
I was possibly thinking of the pathology/research route, so it would be helpful. However, I have already got 2 weeks at Leahurst and asked to specifically see more post mortems and large animal veterinary work.
And I've already got a week organised so far to work at a wildlife park and hospital, so that area's fine.
nic*nic
Report 10 years ago
Try a university that does biomedical type research. They might be a bit suspicious if you phone up the registry and ask about the animal labs (haha) so find a research group online that looks like it does mouse/rat work.
karate_kat
Rep:
?
That's a good idea, thanks, I'll look into universities/colleges that do research.
karate_kat
Rep:
?
So, when looking for animal research/labs, what should I be looking for? Those that just do blood tests, microscope work, tissue cultures, etc. or should I look for those specifically with mice/rats, etc. that test on animals? Which are you more likely to work in after completing a vet med degree? (Not saying I will work in this area, but I'd like to see if it's appealing to me, as I liked microscope work at school and pathology).
nic*nic
Report 10 years ago
Well I guess there are 2 main types, diagnostic labs and research labs... The diagnostic labs will be part of hospitals/vet hospitals and be stuff like you mentioned, blood tests, microscope work, etc. Then research labs are more likely to be working with lab animals, ie. live mice and rats (I think rodents make up more than 90% of the animals used for research in UK), and doing actual procedures with the animals or with tissue harvested from them - exactly what varies widely and depends on the field they are in; immunology, genetics, cancer, etc etc.

I would have thought as a vet you would be more likely to do research, as the diagnostic work is often done by technicians. However of course you can become a veterinary pathologist, looking at tumour sections, etc.

I'm not sure where you are in the north-west but I would think that most of the big teaching hospitals must have research groups, and therefore probably animal facilities. They just won't advertise that fact.
karate_kat
Rep:
?
So, I'm guessing liverpool would have one? Do you know if Leahurst has one, as that's only 20-30 minutes away from me.
I've also been looking at the university of chester, as they do biological research.
nic*nic
Report 10 years ago
I just found this:
http://www.liv.ac.uk/mbe/abgprojects.html
Looks like it is at Leahurst and there are a number of projects mentioning rodents... looks like they must have a lab mouse facility.
This is the homepage:
http://www.liv.ac.uk/mbe/
karate_kat
Rep:
?
I'm going to Leahurst for 2 weeks in September anyway, so should I ask beforehand whether I can see a bit of the animal research labs, or just ask when I'm there?

EDIT: Oh and thanks very much, you're being very helpful
nic*nic
Report 10 years ago
I guess it depends on your contact there when you ask them, probably can't hurt to mention it in advance though.

And no problem - I have been working as a research scientist for ages (well it feels like ages!) and I'm going to back to uni to do vet... it's good to help where I can!
karate_kat
Rep:
?
I didn't know that you've been working as a research scientist. So are you doing vet med now or applying soon?
nic*nic
Report 10 years ago
I am starting at RVC in September! I have 3 weeks left of my job and life in the Netherlands!!
karate_kat
Rep:
?
Well done!! You must be really excited.
nic*nic
Report 10 years ago
Thanks - I am! It's going to be a big change.... I'm a bit worried about being old so I'm glad I got into the RVC G&T course, rather than going to Nottingham and feeling ancient!
karate_kat
Rep:
?
I think there are quite a few graduates tho at vet schools. Which is quite good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads