International Study - English problems

Watch
daniksafin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So my friend from Latvia is on his last High school year , and is planning moving to UK in order to study in a Northampton University, there are hundreds of questions, he cannot ask because of his language barrier. So if anyone can answer these, he would be extremely grateful. 1)Will there be extra "English exams, similar to GCSES" in order for him to be accepted 2)If the grading systems differ how does he know if he has the right grades? 3)Will Brexit affect his chances of getting a scholarship 4)What exactly is "foundation year" and what does it consist of? 5)Is it better for him to apply to Foundation year, and then to a bachelor? Thank you in advance <3
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
1) your friend needs to seriously improve their English language skills to stand a chance of understanding anything while at university in the UK.
2) they need to liaise with Northampton University about language requirements and Latvian equivalent grades.
3) scholarships are really hard to come by. Getting student finance will be fine, however be prepared to accumulate more debt due to non-UK student course fees.
4) foundation year is an extra year at the beginning of the course for those who haven't quite made the entry requirements for the degree to get then up to degree entry level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads