Random Thoughts on Homeosexuality - Do you find it hard to plan your future? Watch

Gazing
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have been thinking....... When we we younger most of us would have been told that when we grow up we are going to have a normal nuclear family and lead a "normal" lives (ie Mother, Father and kids). However, given this day and age with all the different sexualities around. Do people with other sexualities (ie not straight) find it harder to think about their future lives and relationship's ?

For example:
1) Whether they are going to have children? (gay adoption can be seen as very controversial).
2) Whether you are going to have a civil partnership? (again quite controversial).
3) How do you feel your relationships with other people ie- family and close friends) are going to change once you come out (if you haven't already).

It would be interesting to have your thoughts xx

I need to stop having these random discussions! :P
ParadoxSocks
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gazing)
I have been thinking....... When we we younger most of us would have been told that when we grow up we are going to have a normal nuclear family and lead a "normal" lives (ie Mother, Father and kids). However, given this day and age with all the different sexualities around. Do people with other sexualities (ie not straight) find it harder to think about their future lives and relationship's ?

For example:
1) Whether they are going to have children? (day adoption can be seen as very controversial).
2) Whether you are going to have a civil partnership? (again quite controversial).
3) How do you feel your relationships with other people ie- family and close friends) are going to change once you come out (if you haven't already).

I've never had issues planning for the future. I have it all pretty much planned out (with a little help from my girlfriend, of course) and the only issue I see is with my extended, and rather Catholic, family. I want 1 or 2 children that we'll use a donor to conceive but this isn't going to happen until a few years after we're married and we've been working for a while.

So the answer to your question is no. My future is planned like a straight girls... the only difference being that my partner happens to be a woman.
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
1) I want kids and still plan on having kids, I used to want 6, altho i dontt hink thats plausible but i'd love to foster or adopt.
2) doubtful but then even as a kid i never saw myself as getting married, i guess comng from a single parent household, i've never seen having two parents as the neccessity and i've seen you can raise kids well with just one parent so i've always only had myself in the picture when it comes to haing kids
3) umm most of my friends know, its doubtful whether i'd tell family, i plan on doing my masters very near my one of ym aunties and uncles in london and we'll prob end up mxing in the same crowds so they might find out but their in the theatre so thats cool with them probably.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gazing)

For example:
1) Whether they are going to have children? (day adoption can be seen as very controversial).

1) Buggered if I know. Right now, I don't think so.
2) Not unless my boyfriend desperately wants one. I don't care about marriage, it's meaningless these days.
3) Most people know. I think it's only my family that I haven't personally spoken to about it, and they probably know already - they know a lot of my friends and friends' parents, and my dad has probably snooped around looking for me on the net before. But I wouldn't tell them because I don't really get on with them well enough to tell them anything relating to relationships.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
1) i don't want kids (i have three neices that drive me nuts :p:)
2) hopefully will - but why are civil partnerships controversial?
3) its brought me closer to them on the whole
The Church, I guess.
emmarainbow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd love to have kids someday... I don't know if they'll happen the normal way or not.

My problem is not the gay stuff (although it might be more when/if I finally get a girlfriend)... I think it's going to be quite likely I end up in a poly arrangement with people - that's what's going to be interesting. I just hope I can find people open-minded enough to share a very strange hodge-podgey life with. And kids would be awesome, but not in the next 6 years, thanks!

And don't be silly, I love having these kinds of discussion! Discuss all you want m'dear.
Gazing
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Wow, to me it's interesting that you have things semi planned out. I can't imagine how my life will be in the future from a gay perspective. Sometimes i get this feeling that i am going to end up marrying some random guy just to please my family. Part of me has a dream future of how i would like my future relationships to plan out like but the other half is the more realistic path. Just can't decide which of the two is my "real" path. So, from that aspect i find it bloody hard to plan my future lol. I believe that schools should try and show the other types of relationships people can have. IE- Gay relationships -By using storybooks showing the different families etc. Might make children more accepting to "different" people. In reality it would not be that hard to implement money wise but i guess morally some parents might find it vulgar.
emmarainbow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My advice is to live your life. It's yours you should live it for yourself. I completely agree that schools should educate on gay issues (and trans ones too, come to think of it!).

And *hugs*
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
All plans for my future relate to having the nuclear family and I see no reason why it wouldn't happen. Not to be arrogant about the whole thing, mind you.
Raving Hobo
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
1) Buggered if I know. Right now, I don't think so.
2) Not unless my boyfriend desperately wants one. I don't care about marriage, it's meaningless these days.
3) Most people know. I think it's only my family that I haven't personally spoken to about it, and they probably know already - they know a lot of my friends and friends' parents, and my dad has probably snooped around looking for me on the net before. But I wouldn't tell them because I don't really get on with them well enough to tell them anything relating to relationships.
Pun intended?
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Raving Hobo)
Pun intended?
Actually, no; nicely spotted. :p:
katwin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm bisexual and I don't really see the future being drastically different whether I end up with a guy or a girl. I don't want kids, I would quite like marriage or a civil partnership but I'm not too fussed, and besides, I don't care how controversial I'm being. I'm almost entirely out (don't think my grandparents know) so I can't see that being too much of an issue either.
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For what it's worth, Im straight and haven't a clue what I want out of life, relationship-wise Not really keen on kids or marriage anytime soon - I think everyone's in the same boat really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed