Lowest grades entry Watch

willmorley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey i was just wondering if anybody knew the lowest alevel/gcse grades evere known to get in to LSE?
I didnt try in m gcse's so i shouldnt be getting any a*'s like planned!
But im gunna work my ass off in college and try to get the 4 A/A*s i know i can get!
ninety_nine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LSE are one of the strictest places for GCSEs in the country I'm afraid, they are quite reknown for this. I can't say what the lowest GCSEs are, but I'd imagine without a hanful of As and Bs you won't be considered. Remember that competition at LSE is comparable to Oxbridge - so many people are predicted AAA(A) for A2, and achieve this at AS that GCSEs have to be used as an indicator.

So long as you've done decently then apply, but if they are really poor without actual mitigating circumstances then I wouldn't waste the chance.
Bigglesthenerd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was at LSE yesterday.
It was one of the questions that was brought up.
They often say 5A*'s and above for GCSE
however, the lecturer said that they look at WHERE you did your GCSE's in the league tables.
If you went to a crud school and got 4A's 6B's they arent going to punish you because of the circumstances you were in. However, if you get 4A's and 6B's at the top schools, then youve got a battle on your hands.
I only know about the Law statistics but 18 candidates apply for 1 place.
Its competitive.

If you havent finalised your AS choices, make sure you dont pick on of the "Soft ALevles" which can be found in the back of the LSE Prospectus
these included Buisness and Media and Theatre Studies
that malarky
Crazster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its like BBB, or ABB at A-Level. You could find a good answer by looking at their website... Not all their courses are of the highest requirements.
The Edwinnator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mitigating Circumstances= Lower Grade Requirements perhaps? Ethnic-Minority Lesbian Gay Cripple with Learning Difficulties struggling in a deprived gang-infested drug-infested school in a part of the country which is about to fall into the sea while being besieged by illegal immigrants, EU directives and Bloody Foreigners who overload the NHS and overcrowd the schools?
petite_chaperon_rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Edwinnator)
Mitigating Circumstances= Bloody Foreigners who overload the NHS and overcrowd the schools?

wow this is a very xenophobic comment ! don't you think so?
The Edwinnator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by petite_chaperon_rose)
wow this is a very xenophobic comment ! don't you think so?
I'm a foreigner actually- That's my Tory Bigot impression
tokyorose888
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i came top of my secondary school which only had a 33% A*-C pass rate, will they consider this? and do i have to put it in my PS or references?

thnx
petite_chaperon_rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Edwinnator)
I'm a foreigner actually- That's my Tory Bigot impression

:p:
petite_chaperon_rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tokyorose888)
i came top of my secondary school which only had a 33% A*-C pass rate, will they consider this? and do i have to put it in my PS or references?

thnx
it might be real good if your referee includes that
Bigglesthenerd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with Petite_Chaperon_Rose

I was also at a school with little pass rate 27% i think, and in my first draft in the application to a really good college, i was told not to mention the fact that the school was bad, because it gives them the impression that you complain a lot about schools and will never be satisfied, and may do the same about that college or univeristy.

They will already know that you've been to a lower down school and achieved the grades however your referee could add " I am pleased with this persons achievements at GCSE given the circumstances of the school".

Then your not being the *****
Chrisateen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I knew this girl who went to manchester academy which has about a 16% pass rate :eek: I know got a few A's & B's applied to LSE for Law and got rejected so it doesn't always work like that all the time.

I got 2A* 5A 2B C at GCSE and applied for social pol and econ so i think it is also relative to what course you apply to
petite_chaperon_rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
and also your personal statement is important as well as your reference
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know of someone who got in for straight Eco with 4A*s at GCSE a couple of years ago.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads