The Student Room Group

Grooty Lays down the Law (Law GYG)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
75231738_10221010205904240_7699791066441973760_n.jpg

haha this is great :laugh:
Attachment not found

:wavey: Hey there it's me again with another (annoying) update :colondollar: . So a lot has happened (well this seems to be the case every week tbf :rofl: ) so I'll crack on with it. I think the week break down of each module is okay :s-smilie: if you guys particularly don't like it then please let me know and I can change it up :smile:

Week 7
Before this it was reading week which I got a fair bit done in, could have been a lot more productive but there is no point lamenting.

MELS:

:facepalm2:
So mels has been interesting, we were sent a feedback response thing (lmao don't even know what its called great :lol: )and the general feel amongst everyone about the module was very very similar to the point I thought he just read my feedback out :rofl: . A lot of people commented on how they didn't know what this module was about (me included) and the fact we were lost and had no notes to guide us in any way... so the lecture addressed this by telling us it was supposed to teach us legal skills :confused: thanks for clearing that up, because yeah all those seminars did that right? Did it heck, the head just said we need to talk to our seminar tutors and that was it case closed :congrats: so helpful. The rest of the lecture was justifying the strikes and telling us not to pressure the team. As we have work due soon, we basically miss the seminars to help us with doing the work so thats absolutely great :angry: they won't do anything about it either so a lot of us lose out (those who won't have the seminar due to strike). The last 10 mins was some basic info on writing the essay ... again so helpful :yawn:
The seminar was about ... i acc can't remember fml oh yeah immigration appeals we had to act it as solicitors.

Tort:
:bike:
So we went over remoteness of damage which was okay. The seminar was pretty pointless again just him reading the lecture notes (such amazing prep) and then we did some vague discussions on causation looking at some very interesting scenarios :laugh:

Property :

:goaway:
So the lectures were focused on adverse possession, some second year students were telling us this was the only thing they ever understood about property :rofl: how reassuring. We also looked at the changes implemented by the LRA 2002, its intersection with human rights and recent developments in relation. The seminar focused on the fundamental concepts in land law, the book is huge for property it makes me want to cry :redface:. We then looked at some problem questions and discussed these.

Criminal:
:diep:
Yeah so you many remember me complaining about the lecturer reading from his slides :colondollar:... he's gone :woo: we got our main lecturer back, before she began she mentioned how the number of people attending has decreased :mmm: they got the message :rofl: So I was happy lectures are now more engaging. Strikes were mentioned again at the beginning.
We looked at Offence Against a Persons Act- which was straight forward looking at the mens rea and actus reus of each of these. We sometimes in the lecture do a thing where we answer a question of vevox to do an online poll... the responses for the first question were great...

vevox.jpeg

(if you can't see it, the question was what does the word 'harm' mean to you? Someone commented uni strikes :rofl:

For the seminar we looked at murder and joint enterprise looking closely at the case of Jogee and applying it to scenarios. We also discussed Grendfell tower and whether it was murder and who would be liable, which was an interesting discussion.

Week 8:

MELS:

:banghead:
Our essays will be on the Baha Mousa case so we had a brief lecture on the facts and basics, in seminars (as it was pointless to do the work as it was to be a lead up for next week) we just asked general questions on the assessment and discussed the essay and how to write it.

I've been working on my court reflection which is pretty much done will go over it again to brush and tidy it up. Done some research on the judgment so will be working on that this week and then crack on with the essay.

Tort:

:driver::erm:
:afraid: got back our formative assessment. Seeing how confused I was with it and didn't have a clue what I exactly was writing it actually wasn't too bad. I got a 2:1 (62-66%) which I guess is okay at this stage. I know what I need to work on (even before getting it back) the analysis and maybe actually reading the case :rofl: . The seminar was supposed to be feedback but instead was a 10 minute talk of how the essays were promising and then about his bloody PhD AGAIN, its the only thing he likes to talk about :bored: He was off before we knew it, and it looks like a few fellow seminar students have decided to umm how do I word it report seems to harsh but I'm sure you get what I mean, so hopefully something will be done, as it frustrating to come in and do nothing of use.

Property:

:scrooge:
Went over leases and licences :yawn: very boring I zoned out so many times and decided to just look and the lecture notes and make mine based on them. The seminar was tackling another problem question.

Criminal:

:evilbanana:
Looked again at OAPA and consent, whether we can consent to some acts, looking at Lord Templeman and his leading judgement. Then looked at transferring diseases such as HIV's ect. Quite straight forward.For the seminar we had to do a problem question on liability and OAPA, we read each others answers :creep: and then discussed them and how we approached them. Then the reminder of the mock we will have in week 10 on OAPA was discussed, I think I'm confident with it just nervous :redface:.

So for the strike week I'm going to just focus on getting all my MELS stuff done so I'm not stressing about it last minute and so I can improve it further. Also do some revision for the mock in criminal. I'm not gonna try and get all my notes done as I no I won't and we break up soon so I can work on it in those weeks off. So I think I will be okay generally with the work, its just the stress of MELS and getting it done in time. Health and headaches are not as bad so that's good, generally been an okay few weeks minus annoying mels :s-smilie:

Again I ramble a lot so apologies :colondollar: and well done for getting to the end!

I hope you're all well and the weathers treating you nicely :redface: (although the autumn leaves are beautiful :heart: ) Have a lovely week, and for those of you that are blessed (in some way) with the strikes..... enjoy :colone:

Song of the week :heart: :

And now for the amazing Guardians :awesome:
If you would like to be tagged or removed please let me know, trees don't bite :lol:

Spoiler

Take care and til next time :ciao:
(edited 4 years ago)
Congrats on your assignment score, that's really awesome!

I'm not looking forward to the strikes either, I'm missing my whole section on Money Laundering and I have absolutely no frickin' clue how any of it applies, so I feel your pain. :lol:

Crying on the inside knowing exams aren't that far away..
Original post by J Papi
FIRST

:hide:
Original post by MidgetFever
Congrats on your assignment score, that's really awesome!

I'm not looking forward to the strikes either, I'm missing my whole section on Money Laundering and I have absolutely no frickin' clue how any of it applies, so I feel your pain. :lol:

Crying on the inside knowing exams aren't that far away..

Thanks :h: I was shocked, I honestly thought I messed it up so badly :rofl:

It's like why now??? Of all times smh. #sharedpain :five: I hope its not too bad :redface:, I'm sure you'll manage it :yep:

Tell me about it, only feels like we started yesterday :lol: time flies by :moon:

Thanks, I often fear I'm putting people to sleep with my long winded updates. Glad you're enjoying them :h:

Same mama LJ where are you :cry2: ???
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Attachment not found

:wavey: Hey there it's me again with another (annoying) update :colondollar: . So a lot has happened (well this seems to be the case every week tbf :rofl: ) so I'll crack on with it. I think the week break down of each module is okay :s-smilie: if you guys particularly don't like it then please let me know and I can change it up :smile:

Week 7
Before this it was reading week which I got a fair bit done in, could have been a lot more productive but there is no point lamenting.

MELS:

So mels has been interesting, we were sent a feedback response thing (lmao don't even know what its called great :lol: )and the general feel amongst everyone about the module was very very similar to the point I thought he just read my feedback out :rofl: . A lot of people commented on how they didn't know what this module was about (me included) and the fact we were lost and had no notes to guide us in any way... so the lecture addressed this by telling us it was supposed to teach us legal skills :confused: thanks for clearing that up, because yeah all those seminars did that right? Did it heck, the head just said we need to talk to our seminar tutors and that was it case closed :congrats: so helpful. The rest of the lecture was justifying the strikes and telling us not to pressure the team. As we have work due soon, we basically miss the seminars to help us with doing the work so thats absolutely great :angry: they won't do anything about it either so a lot of us lose out (those who won't have the seminar due to strike). The last 10 mins was some basic info on writing the essay ... again so helpful :yawn:
The seminar was about ... i acc can't remember fml oh yeah immigration appeals we had to act it as solicitors.

Tort:
So we went over remoteness of damage which was okay. The seminar was pretty pointless again just him reading the lecture notes (such amazing prep) and then we did some vague discussions on causation looking at some very interesting scenarios :laugh:

Property :

So the lectures were focused on adverse possession, some second year students were telling us this was the only thing they ever understood about property :rofl: how reassuring. We also looked at the changes implemented by the LRA 2002, its intersection with human rights and recent developments in relation. The seminar focused on the fundamental concepts in land law, the book is huge for property it makes me want to cry :redface:. We then looked at some problem questions and discussed these.

Criminal:
Yeah so you many remember me complaining about the lecturer reading from his slides :colondollar:... he's gone :woo: we got our main lecturer back, before she began she mentioned how the number of people attending has decreased :mmm: they got the message :rofl: So I was happy lectures are now more engaging. Strikes were mentioned again at the beginning.
We looked at Offence Against a Persons Act- which was straight forward looking at the mens rea and actus reus of each of these. We sometimes in the lecture do a thing where we answer a question of vevox to do an online poll... the responses for the first question were great...

vevox.jpeg

(if you can't see it, the question was what does the word 'harm' mean to you? Someone commented uni strikes :rofl:

For the seminar we looked at murder and joint enterprise looking closely at the case of Jogee and applying it to scenarios. We also discussed Grendfell tower and whether it was murder and who would be liable, which was an interesting discussion.

Week 8:

MELS:

Our essays will be on the Baha Mousa case so we had a brief lecture on the facts and basics, in seminars (as it was pointless to do the work as it was to be a lead up for next week) we just asked general questions on the assessment and discussed the essay and how to write it.

I've been working on my court reflection which is pretty much done will go over it again to brush and tidy it up. Done some research on the judgment so will be working on that this week and then crack on with the essay.

Tort:

:afraid: got back our formative assessment. Seeing how confused I was with it and didn't have a clue what I exactly was writing it actually wasn't too bad. I got a 2:1 (62-66%) which I guess is okay at this stage. I know what I need to work on (even before getting it back) the analysis and maybe actually reading the case :rofl: . The seminar was supposed to be feedback but instead was a 10 minute talk of how the essays were promising and then about his bloody PhD AGAIN, its the only thing he likes to talk about :bored: He was off before we knew it, and it looks like a few fellow seminar students have decided to umm how do I word it report seems to harsh but I'm sure you get what I mean, so hopefully something will be done, as it frustrating to come in and do nothing of use.

Property:

Went over leases and licences :yawn: very boring I zoned out so many times and decided to just look and the lecture notes and make mine based on them. The seminar was tackling another problem question.

Criminal:

Looked again at OAPA and consent, whether we can consent to some acts, looking at Lord Templeman and his leading judgement. Then looked at transferring diseases such as HIV's ect. Quite straight forward.For the seminar we had to do a problem question on liability and OAPA, we read each others answers :creep: and then discussed them and how we approached them. Then the reminder of the mock we will have in week 10 on OAPA was discussed, I think I'm confident with it just nervous :redface:.

So for the strike week I'm going to just focus on getting all my MELS stuff done so I'm not stressing about it last minute and so I can improve it further. Also do some revision for the mock in criminal. I'm not gonna try and get all my notes done as I no I won't and we break up soon so I can work on it in those weeks off. So I think I will be okay generally with the work, its just the stress of MELS and getting it done in time. Health and headaches are not as bad so that's good, generally been an okay few weeks minus annoying mels :s-smilie:

Again I ramble a lot so apologies :colondollar: and well done for getting to the end!

I hope you're all well and the weathers treating you nicely :redface: (although the autumn leaves are beautiful :heart: ) Have a lovely week, and for those of you that are blessed (in some way) with the strikes..... enjoy :colone:

If you would like to be tagged or removed please let me know, trees don't bite :lol:

Spoiler

“ouch” 😭
Attachment not found

Week 7

MELS:

Tort:

Property :

Criminal:

vevox.jpeg

Week 8:

MELS:

Tort:

Property:

Criminal:

Spoiler

Love how "Law" means 'harm' to someone. #thugLife #Savage #QuirkY

I am considering Warwick, so would love to be tagged. Thanks, sis.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by IH8Studying
“ouch” 😭

:console:
Original post by Numb & Dumb
Love how "Law" means 'harm' to someone. #thugLife #Savage

I am considering Warwick, so would love to be tagged. Thanks, sis.

Truth is out, harm= law :lol: the responses are always great :rofl:

Hopefully they sort out MELS by the time you come (we were the guinea pigs for the new style of teaching it). Will tag you :h: thanks for the support :hugs:
well done on your assignment score!
teachers who go off on a tangent are so annoying:grumble:
Reply 69
Idk what goes through a lecturer's mind when they decide to yak on about their PhD of all things (not even their current research!), I mean come on give us a proper flex at least.
Enjoy the strike week :redface: I think I could do with one
Original post by Sinnoh
Idk what goes through a lecturer's mind when they decide to yak on about their PhD of all things (not even their current research!), I mean come on give us a proper flex at least.

LOOOOOL
Original post by entertainmyfaith
well done on your assignment score!
teachers who go off on a tangent are so annoying:grumble:

It's like I'm sure you've come here to teach us or something :confused: not go on about ur life which is lovely but not relevant!
Original post by Sinnoh

:rofl: literally

I think he just loves to boast about himself being in such a good position to be teaching us. Its also annoying when he goes on about his personal life and his kids :bored:.... Why? why do we need to know about his wife having to drop and pick him up :confused:
Thanks, oh no :frown: Hope your week isn't too bad :hugs:

Original post by Numb & Dumb
LOOOOOL

:laugh:
hope your MELS stuff is getting done so far :redface:
well done with your tort formative :woo: a 2:1 is good :yes:
:lovehug:
Original post by nyxnko_
hope your MELS stuff is getting done so far :redface:
well done with your tort formative :woo: a 2:1 is good :yes:

I hope so too, I'm slowly getting there :redface:
Thanks Kei :jumphug: any grade would be great at this stage :lol:
:cube: Hope you're well
I hope so too, I'm slowly getting there :redface:
Thanks Kei :jumphug: any grade would be great at this stage :lol:
:cube: Hope you're well

:woo:
That is very true :yes: At least you've not failed anything :lol:
:jumphug: i'm okay :dontknow:
Original post by nyxnko_
:woo:
That is very true :yes: At least you've not failed anything :lol:
:jumphug: i'm okay :dontknow:

I really need to stop procrastinating :facepalm:
Yup :u: I got this :rofl:

Spoiler

Attachment not found

Week 7

MELS:

Tort:

Property :

Criminal:

vevox.jpeg

Week 8:

MELS:

Tort:

Property:

Criminal:

Spoiler

omg how can you enjoy all this torts and mels and property and blah??? :confused: its all greek to me :biggrin:
but well done for getting through it so far Xxx :hugs:
Original post by ohdahnnyboi
omg how can you enjoy all this torts and mels and property and blah??? :confused: its all greek to me :biggrin:
but well done for getting through it so far Xxx :hugs:

😂 one must endure it sadly 😔
Haha at first it was to me but I’ve gotten the hang of it ... I think :K:
:cube:
😂 one must endure it sadly 😔
Haha at first it was to me but I’ve gotten the hang of it ... I think :K:
:cube:

The cross you have to bear :cry:
Well, it would be worrying if it still was at this point :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: LoL
Always welcome :heart::heart::party:

So yeah I just wrote up a whole update... only for me to click on the wrong thing and lose it all :rant: :colonhash:

I am still alive guys so no need to file a missing person complaint :rofl: okay that was cheesy lol I'll stop there. I have been busy hence the delayed update.

As it is Christmas eve I'll keep this short, as I'm sure you don't want to hear my ramble :colondollar:

Last weeks of uni were weird due to the strikes, no seminars or lectures took place except for Tort. Last two days were quite empty, it seemed as though a lot of people had gone home early for the holidays.

MELS:

Finally submitted and finished the summative :woo: so glad its out the way. The setting of it was poor, and they had made many errors with it, particularly the judgment part (we found law stating that the appellant was not subject to the benefit cap, but were supposed to be arguing as if they were and shouldn't be..... yeah that makes sense :stupid:) They ended up changing how the word count would work as well last minute which was frustrating. The whole thing stressed me out a lot... had a break down :rofl:

Spoiler

Overview:

MELS :catfight::

You can probably tell I hate this module :colondollar: . I don't to sound arrogant or anything, but I learnt nothing from this module, and this feeling is mutual amongst everyone I know :redface:. It was poorly organised and making it so the teaching was done in the seminars instead of lectures was pointless, it helped in no way. I do really hope they sort the module out so its a lil more doable than it was for me. I am happy though :grin: NO MORE MELS thank goodness :woo: . Although there is getting the results back at the end of January that shall haunt me :hide: #WhoGon'PrayForMe

Tort law :deal::

Torts been okay, but there are so many cases to remember :afraid: . The lectures have been engaging and interesting, so I have enjoyed them, :sad: wish we could have the same lecturer next year as well. Seminars as you may have noticed, have generally been awful, consisting of only looking at the lecture notes, which I'm sure any one is capable. He seems to be more eager to leave than us :erm: cutting it short and not really engaging with the work set. We have brought this up with the head of department so hopefully something is done regarding this :crossedf: .

Criminal :backstab::

At first I didn't like it simply because of the lack of engagement in lectures, but after reading week things picked up. The lectures were really interesting and I like it because its straight forward like OAPA. Seminars have been good, and have boosted my confidence when speaking and giving my opinion. I sometimes feel like all the other students judge me for my comments, like they just stare at you ...which makes me nervous. But now I honestly don't care and freely speak which I'm happy about.

Property :top2::

Property sometimes just goes over my head. It can be boring at times and so its difficult to engage within the lectures. Seminars have been really helpful with clarifying what we have done, I just wished they weren't at 9am :grumble: ... as I'm sure you can tell I'm hella lazy :sigh: . I do have a lot to go over again, just to make it more clearer and understand it properly.

In terms of academia, I need to sort out a lot of my notes and go over them so I properly understand them. (also they are a mess rn :colondollar:)

You may remember the law fair I went to, yeah they send me loads of reminders of VS's and other opportunities available. I really need to sort myself out here with applying to things.

With this first term I haven't really done a lot of research about what firms I would consider applying for so that's something I need to do. Its also quite stressful because I have no idea at this point what to do, I feel like I should be applying for loads of VS's/pupilages ect, but haven't done so. I'm scared that this will put me at a great disadvantage, therefore I should be doing something actively about it :redface:

I am gonna sort out my cv and do some research about future steps, so I'm not doing it last minute working myself out.

Other stuff:

With the holidays I have made the effort to treat myself and have a bit of fun, as its something I've barely done since uni, which is odd.

I met up with some friends and watched Jumanji , then went for a meal which was nice. Talked about uni life and things, they seemed to have it a lot nicer than I :laugh: . Also on the weekend I went to a winter wonderland fair thing, which was nice, did a bit of ice skating, its fair to say I suck at it :rofl: but got the hang of it eventually :tongue: . Had loads of food :coma:, there was literally no escaping the smell and I couldn't resist, I bought some candy floss which I haven't had in ages and ferrero roche fudge , which was heavenly and other cool flavours .... but very expensive :ahee:

There were some lovely attractions and lights :moon:

I didn't manage to take many pictures :sad:

Here a cool dog.... only its made from sand :zomg:
IMG_3825.JPG

And here so poorly taken pics of the lights

IMG_3834.JPG
IMG_3838.JPG

Okay that's that :biggrin: Thanks you for reading this rather boring post :h:

xmads.png

(that took me a while to make :rofl: hope you guys like it :tongue:)

Merry Christmas :santa3: and a happy new year to you all, hope you all have a wonderful time, filled with joy and happiness :h:

And now for the amazing Guardians :woo: :hugs:

Spoiler

(once again I apologise for the late post)

Quick Reply

Latest