The Student Room Group

Haven't started dissertation....depression

I haven't even started my dissertation. I am in third year and my supervisor is running time when you can go and see her but i am too scared to go because I haven't even got anything, not even a title. I have an idea of what i might like to write it on but dont think that is good enough. I have depression and life is so difficult, there are only like 20 weeks of uni so its not long and i just want to get this year over with and graudate. the department know why i am so depressed (it involves something that happened to be and the police are involved) and just.dont.care.at.all. i just dont trust any one at the university at all not the lecturers or support or wellbeing. no one.

My attendance is bad for just one subject because I commute and it takes an hour or longer. I am choosing not to go to some lectures for my health and the fact that the department made us take the subject and i didn't choose it and it isn't interesting. i go to all the lectures for my other two subjects. I am scared they will give me a warning that will stay on my record forever or try and chuck me out. they are so uncaring and cruel it is honestly what i expect from them.

I am getting on with my essays and other work, I have never missed a deadline.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I haven't even started my dissertation. I am in third year and my supervisor is running time when you can go and see her but i am too scared to go because I haven't even got anything, not even a title. I have an idea of what i might like to write it on but dont think that is good enough. I have depression and life is so difficult, there are only like 20 weeks of uni so its not long and i just want to get this year over with and graudate. the department know why i am so depressed (it involves something that happened to be and the police are involved) and just.dont.care.at.all. i just dont trust any one at the university at all not the lecturers or support or wellbeing. no one.

My attendance is bad for just one subject because I commute and it takes an hour or longer. I am choosing not to go to some lectures for my health and the fact that the department made us take the subject and i didn't choose it and it isn't interesting. i go to all the lectures for my other two subjects. I am scared they will give me a warning that will stay on my record forever or try and chuck me out. they are so uncaring and cruel it is honestly what i expect from them.

I am getting on with my essays and other work, I have never missed a deadline.

Hi!

It sounds like you’ve got an awful lot on your plate right now and that’s difficult for anyone. I was in a very similar situation last year and I promise you it’s not the end of the world!

Email your supervisor about the situation and copy on someone from welfare if possible if that makes you feel less scared :smile:

Diss topics can be tricky but start with something vague, perhaps a lecture topic you liked. Then slowly dive deeper and narrow it down.

You’ve got this!

Quick Reply

Latest