Universities For Law? (aiming for MC law firm) Watch

Jdjdjdjdjd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Ok so due to a lack of focus and attendance i only achieved 5 C grades at GCSE (maths and English included) however im now taking A levels and am being much more productive attending and revising etc and am looking at pursuing a career in law.

The ultimate goal is to work for a MC law firm and obviously to maximise my chance of this i would want to attend a respected RG university, so firstly which universities would you recommend that are respected in law and don't place much emphasis on GCSES (i am expecting AAA or AAB) i am also doing a Law based EPQ if that is of relevance and how do you recommend i build a good personal statement, pretty loaded question any help is greatly appreciated.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jdjdjdjdjd)
Ok so due to a lack of focus and attendance i only achieved 5 C grades at GCSE (maths and English included) however im now taking A levels and am being much more productive attending and revising etc and am looking at pursuing a career in law.

The ultimate goal is to work for a MC law firm and obviously to maximise my chance of this i would want to attend a respected RG university, so firstly which universities would you recommend that are respected in law and don't place much emphasis on GCSES (i am expecting AAA or AAB) i am also doing a Law based EPQ if that is of relevance and how do you recommend i build a good personal statement, pretty loaded question any help is greatly appreciated.

GCSEs arent usually important, but elite unis tend to have a low to high level criteria with them. 5C isnt going to be great. Be better if you got A*A*A* otherwise get into the best uni you can. I believe there are Law firms outside MC and you might want to look at those. As it stands you need to be realistic.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

You need to check university requirements carefully in case you dont meet the requirements in English and Maths GCSE.
Jdjdjdjdjd
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
GCSEs arent usually important, but elite unis tend to have a low to high level criteria with them. 5C isnt going to be great. Be better if you got A*A*A* otherwise get into the best uni you can. I believe there are Law firms outside MC and you might want to look at those. As it stands you need to be realistic.
Im certainly going to aim for A*A*A*, what universities do you think would be reasonable for me to attend presuming that i did achieve those grades? id really like to go Durham or Bristol however i know they do view GCSE grades as important im just hoping a strong personal statement as well as being from a deprived area ( they do class it as one on their site) so i receive a reduced offer.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Im certainly going to aim for A*A*A*, what universities do you think would be reasonable for me to attend presuming that i did achieve those grades? id really like to go Durham or Bristol however i know they do view GCSE grades as important im just hoping a strong personal statement as well as being from a deprived area ( they do class it as one on their site) so i receive a reduced offer.
If you do get A*A*A* you'll pretty much get in most places and have a strong chance at the top few unless English or maths GSCE is a sticking point - in which case you may need to re-sit them.

Look at Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham for example and see if they have any GCSE requirements.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
On the law pages there are lists of people who claim to know the best unis, they are so incredibly tedious I will let you look them up for yourself, sane unis though but bickering about what order. Oxbridge is #1 imo.

You are off to a poor start, so work hard to get v good predicteds. What have you been given? Creep in at the lower end of those lists and then check direct with the uni whether you will be considered or not. It isnt happening with CCC, unless you get very good predicteds. You should also check whether ci is enough for each uni in their min criteria for English and Maths.

Make yourself a table, do the research and then fill it in to see which ones you can apply to. I would say at the moment your eyes are bigger than your mouth.
Jdjdjdjdjd
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
If you do get A*A*A* you'll pretty much get in most places and have a strong chance at the top few unless English or maths GSCE is a sticking point - in which case you may need to re-sit them.

Look at Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham for example and see if they have any GCSE requirements.
Alright thanks appreciate the help, i had 20% attendance throughout my last 3 years of secondary school so hopefully if i explain it well they will make a exception if i have exceptional A levels
dyingstudent101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
LSE and UCL have a few GCSE requirements so they’re out of question I think.

Durham and Bristol are good options, Bristol don’t put much weight on them.

Others like Warwick, Birmingham and Manchester are also options.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Alright thanks appreciate the help, i had 20% attendance throughout my last 3 years of secondary school so hopefully if i explain it well they will make a exception if i have exceptional A levels
Depends why you had 20% attendance. If there is a good explanation - probably not an issue. Good reasons - medical treatment which can be evidenced, stuck in a war zone and coudn't get back to school etc....

No-one really cares about GCSE results unless its to meet minimum requirements. You problem is that they won't find it easy to believe A level predictions good enough to get a place. Thats easy to overcome if you go through adjustment or apply post A levels.
Jdjdjdjdjd
Rep:
?
On the law pages there are lists of people who claim to know the best unis, they are so incredibly tedious I will let you look them up for yourself, sane unis though but bickering about what order. Oxbridge is #1 imo.

You are off to a poor start, so work hard to get v good predicteds. What have you been given? Creep in at the lower end of those lists and then check direct with the uni whether you will be considered or not. It isnt happening with CCC, unless you get very good predicteds. You should also check whether ci is enough for each uni in their min criteria for English and Maths.

Make yourself a table, do the research and then fill it in to see which ones you can apply to. I would say at the moment your eyes are bigger than your mouth.
Haha yes i agree im being very ambitious, i really let myself down in GCSES being that i was predicted all 7s and 8s and am trying to redeem myself in A levels, thanks a lot for the help ill have a look on their sites, at the moment i think Durham, Exeter or Bristol are looking like my favourites and would be Leeds if it wasn't for it ranking poorly with law :/
Jdjdjdjdjd
Rep:
?
(Original post by dyingstudent101)
LSE and UCL have a few GCSE requirements so they’re out of question I think.

Durham and Bristol are good options, Bristol don’t put much weight on them.

Others like Warwick, Birmingham and Manchester are also options.
Thats great to hear, reassurance that i could actually get in helps motivate me to keep working, cheers
cheerIeader
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thats great to hear, reassurance that i could actually get in helps motivate me to keep working, cheers
Of course you can hun. xx

Work hard and anything is possible.
Jdjdjdjdjd
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Depends why you had 20% attendance. If there is a good explanation - probably not an issue. Good reasons - medical treatment which can be evidenced, stuck in a war zone and coudn't get back to school etc....

No-one really cares about GCSE results unless its to meet minimum requirements. You problem is that they won't find it easy to believe A level predictions good enough to get a place. Thats easy to overcome if you go through adjustment or apply post A levels.
Ye i dont have a reason to justify my lack of attendance, i was just hoping i could use it to show that i clearly didnt show my academic potential in my GCSES and then have my A levels in which i did apply myself to further back this and show academic ability
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Haha yes i agree im being very ambitious, i really let myself down in GCSES being that i was predicted all 7s and 8s and am trying to redeem myself in A levels, thanks a lot for the help ill have a look on their sites, at the moment i think Durham, Exeter or Bristol are looking like my favourites and would be Leeds if it wasn't for it ranking poorly with law :/
I doubt Leeds will be heartbroken you have decided they dont deserve you 5Cs. Hopefully you will get predicted at least A*AA.
Jdjdjdjdjd
Rep:
?
I doubt Leeds will be heartbroken you have decided they dont deserve you 5Cs. Hopefully you will get predicted at least A*AA.
lol
dyingstudent101
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Exeter is on par with Leeds for law. Not sure where you’re getting your information bud.
Jdjdjdjdjd
Rep:
?
(Original post by dyingstudent101)
Exeter is on par with Leeds for law. Not sure where you’re getting your information bud.
It just drops outside of the top 15, not much difference i would just like to try go to a university within the top 15 as i have heard law is a very competitive field where the "Prestige" of your university if very important
dyingstudent101
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It just drops outside of the top 15, not much difference i would just like to try go to a university within the top 15 as i have heard law is a very competitive field where the "Prestige" of your university if very important
You’re so young, so naive.

League tables don’t mean s—-

I’m obviously not saying that KCL is on par with City, but there’s a difference between league tables and prestige or reputation. You’ll learn that soon.
cheerIeader
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Actually Exeter is 15th on the league tables for Law for 2020 at least, it is a really good uni.

Maybe apply for Warwick too though? Warwick may have dropped significantly on the Law league tables but on the overall league tables it's 11th I believe and has really good graduate prospects from what I've heard.
Amedits
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I’m the same position as you sort of, I only got 6 3A’s, 1B a C* and a C ( I’m from Northern Ireland so we don’t have numbers ) and I also passed two btechs but I doubt unis care. I’m aiming for high predicted grades and I’m going to apply to Bristol, maybe Durham, Liverpool, Exeter and Nottingham
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (171)
53.44%
18-20 years old (no) (38)
11.88%
20-25 years old (yes) (51)
15.94%
20-25 years old (no) (5)
1.56%
25-30 years old (yes) (20)
6.25%