Does my personal statement matter if I know I'm going through adjustment/clearing? Watch

JoeD01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I failed my A levels last year and achieved BCD (for a number of reasons.) As a result I will be retaking this year with the intent of getting at least BBB+. With this in mind, paired with the fact my school wont issue new predicted grades, this will essentially mean the universities I can apply for (with only BCD to my name) will not be those that I wish to go to next year. I don't see any point applying to unis asking for BBB or ABB as I will undoubtedly be rejected and on the other hand, applying to the unis that I may receive an offer from I wouldn't bother going to anyway.

With all this considered, would it therefore be true that my personal statement doesn't really matter at all? I have a personal statement written for the course I want to apply for from last year however I know it could definitely be improved. If this won't be considered during clearing/adjustment though, is it worth taking time out of revision to make these amendments? It would essentially mean re-writing the whole thing as, whilst the one from last year did get me offers from decent unis (Like UEA etc), the whole theme I felt was wrong. I took advice from my politics teacher whilst writing it and as a result, it came across very politics heavy (almost as if I wish to study Law and Politics rather than straight Law.)

So to tie it all back in, is it worth rewriting the personal statement with little guidance (as I don't attend a school anymore) and risking making it even worse or just stick with what I have as the personal statement isn't taken into consideration during the rush of adjustment and clearing?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You are making a big assumption.

Most universities asking for ABB orBBB wouldn’t reject someone resitting just because they got BCD on the first attempt.

Apply before the deadline for universities that you want to go to. If you think your PS needs improvement then take a day to rewrite it or use the tsr review service to ask for advice/guidance. A day or two on your ps now isn’t going to damage your revision.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JoeD01)
I failed my A levels last year and achieved BCD (for a number of reasons.) As a result I will be retaking this year with the intent of getting at least BBB+. With this in mind, paired with the fact my school wont issue new predicted grades, this will essentially mean the universities I can apply for (with only BCD to my name) will not be those that I wish to go to next year. I don't see any point applying to unis asking for BBB or ABB as I will undoubtedly be rejected and on the other hand, applying to the unis that I may receive an offer from I wouldn't bother going to anyway.

With all this considered, would it therefore be true that my personal statement doesn't really matter at all? I have a personal statement written for the course I want to apply for from last year however I know it could definitely be improved. If this won't be considered during clearing/adjustment though, is it worth taking time out of revision to make these amendments? It would essentially mean re-writing the whole thing as, whilst the one from last year did get me offers from decent unis (Like UEA etc), the whole theme I felt was wrong. I took advice from my politics teacher whilst writing it and as a result, it came across very politics heavy (almost as if I wish to study Law and Politics rather than straight Law.)

So to tie it all back in, is it worth rewriting the personal statement with little guidance (as I don't attend a school anymore) and risking making it even worse or just stick with what I have as the personal statement isn't taken into consideration during the rush of adjustment and clearing?
I suggest you look at the Law forum. The evidence obtained by freedom of information suggests universities would accept you on those grades for Law. @Harrysbar @J Papi @Notoriety can you produce the evidence for OP or direct how it can be found
Last edited by swanseajack1; 4 weeks ago
JoeD01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
You are making a big assumption.

Most universities asking for ABB orBBB wouldn’t reject someone resitting just because they got BCD on the first attempt.

Apply before the deadline for universities that you want to go to. If you think your PS needs improvement then take a day to rewrite it or use the tsr review service to ask for advice/guidance. A day or two on your ps now isn’t going to damage your revision.
Ah, so even though I only have BCD, universities asking for BBB may accept me? I assumed that because my sixth form do not offer new predicted grades for people retaking, all unis would accept/reject me on the premise of the grades I already received.

If that is the case I'd definitely put in a couple days of work to improve the personal statement, but just didn't want to do it if it was going to be wasted time.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Here is the post I was referring to. It is clearing based but will at least give you some idea.

Every year is different, but these are some things we know about Law Clearing 2019

Warwick and Durham not in Clearing
Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" but by the 15th, International only
Bristol not in Clearing for home students (Adjustment at A*AA with no LNAT needed)
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB reportedly accepted BBC
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC/BCC UEA, RHUL, Keele, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Sheffield Hallam BBC
QMUL indicative grade requirement of AAA
SOAS LLB BBB/BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points
Newcastle LLB ABB
Cardiff .....LLB ABB reportedly BBC
Swansea......LLB negotiable
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving BBB reportedly BBC
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.23%
Labour (443)
42.6%
Liberal Democrats (201)
19.33%
Green Party (54)
5.19%
Brexit Party (27)
2.6%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)