gxbbv
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is Aston a good uni for medicine? I really want to do medicine in Birmingham but due to relatively poor gcse results (4 8’s 2 7’s 2 6’s and a 5) (yes i know they’re really good but for medicine they’re not the best set of results) I don’t think I’ll be able to get into uni of birmingham but is it reasonable to believe that Aston is a possibility for me?
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gxbbv)
Is Aston a good uni for medicine? I really want to do medicine in Birmingham but due to relatively poor gcse results (4 8’s 2 7’s 2 6’s and a 5) (yes i know they’re really good but for medicine they’re not the best set of results) I don’t think I’ll be able to get into uni of birmingham but is it reasonable to believe that Aston is a possibility for me?
Hi!
So I don't know if you are in year 12 or 13, but if you are in year 13 the deadline has already passed.
Anyways, all med schools are equal - there is no bad med school. It just depends on your preference as well as where you are more likely to get in.
I don't think Aston places as much emphasis on GCSEs as other universities (like Birmingham or Oxford) so it'd be a better choice. However, you would be best off checking their admissions process: https://www2.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-mbchb

For GCSES, Aston comments they score “6 GCSEs with Maths, English Language, Biology and Chemistry being compulsory. The highest two grades in the remaining subjects are included to make up 6 in total. The grades are given a score: A* (9/8) = 4, A (7) =3, B (6) = 2, C (5) = 1. Predicted A levels are not scored. Achieved A Levels are scored. A* = 4, A = 3, B = 2.”
In selection for interview, academics will account for two thirds and UCAT the remaining third
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gxbbv)
So, its a brand new med school so we don't know much about it yet. Any assertion that its "equal" or "the same" is a complete guess. However, when it comes to job applications medicine is via a national process that doesn't consider university, and as with all med schools the minimum standard will be AAA+ and the GMC will keep relatively close tabs on how the med school is doing, so yes it is an entirely viable choice if you want to live in Birmingham!

Of course, medicine is a pretty nomadic job in the UK and after you graduate there is no guarantee you can stay in Birmingham at all, however.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.24%
I'm not sure (33)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.98%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed